Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROG Awards 2016 Recap! Anderson crowned Prog God

PROG Awards 2016 Recap! Anderson crowned Prog God

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-09-02/...prog-god-award

Pretty cool to see Jon get his due and have Trevor Horn under the same roof getting an award too.

Seeing Andy Summers mingle with this crowd is kinda cool too....

Check the pics at the very bottom in addition to the slide show.

Just wanted to bump this.

It's easily the biggest prog news of the day.

Be sure to check out the photos!

Trevor Horn's comments at the event (at their live blog of the event) are nice, describing himself as a big Jon Anderson fan and praising "all incarnations" of Yes, a nice thing to do given ARW were all there together.

Oh, yes, ARW made their stage debut! All three together. Not performing mind, but this is the first time the three have appeared in public together, I think.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Fantastic result for iamthemorning !!.

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Fantastic result for iamthemorning !!.
    I feed my cats Iams cat food in the morning. Is this the origin of their name? Always wondered...

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I feed my cats Iams cat food in the morning. Is this the origin of their name? Always wondered...

Henry

Had to read that a couple of times but got there in the end

This is awesome news. Thanks for sharing this link.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Great to see Big Big Train picking up two awards too, and good to have been present at the event of the year!

Jon richly deserves his accolade, and lovely for it to be given at a time when he is on the creative up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched this live last night and enjoyed it, particularly Wakeman who was hilarious yet again. Overall though, some of the speeches were a bit dull and there were some awkward moments where some of the musicians were trying to be funny but falling a bit flat. I think Steve Hogarth was drunk too!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I watched this live last night and enjoyed it, particularly Wakeman who was hilarious yet again. Overall though, some of the speeches were a bit dull and there were some awkward moments where some of the musicians were trying to be funny but falling a bit flat. I think Steve Hogarth was drunk too!
    I found it very diappointing that Genesis didnt win anything. They were a really good prog band especially when Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett was in the band. Listen to Selling England and The Lamb. Classic Prog. And still they walk away with NOTHING.

// Mattias

He joins an exalted crew that includes Rick Wakeman and Ian Anderson. Good for him!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    I found it very diappointing that Genesis didnt win anything. They were a really good prog band especially when Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett was in the band. Listen to Selling England and The Lamb. Classic Prog. And still they walk away with NOTHING.
    Obviously you missed the part where they won Best Video for "Illegal Alien".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Genesis must be crushed they didn't win a prog award. Maybe they need a better sponsor or run more ads in the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Genesis must be crushed they didn't win a prog award. Maybe they need a better sponsor or run more ads in the magazine.
    Yeah, exactly! They are such a great band.

They had a good mix between experimental and accessible, a lot of people who like prog like that about them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Who the hell is The Anchoress ?
    I have The Anchoress, but it's a movie DVD, not a musical offering.

The Anchoress is a Welsh female singer songwriter multi-instrumentalist called Catherine Davies, with one album release "Confessions Of A Romance Novelist", she is produced by / collaborates with Paul Draper of Mansun fame. I saw her perform at a festival this summer and enjoyed her set, but it's not prog in the sense many here expect. Kind of Kate Bush influenced if you need a reference point, but her own thing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are Prog Awards?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    it's not prog in the sense many here expect. Kind of Kate Bush influenced if you need a reference point, but her own thing too.
    She's actually quite interesting - yet has absolutely zero advantage of being promoted by a bunch as dodgy as this. Anymore than Kate Bush - whose apparent alternative role seems to serve as a perpetual alibi to these circuits' purportedly self-justified "versatility" - would want to be.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    there are Prog Awards?
    Must admit that I find it all a bit weird to.

At the same time I accept that things change.

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    There have been 5 previous winners of the Prog God award. Two of them were Tony Banks and Peter Gabriel. It's not like Genesis has been overlooked...

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    There have been 5 previous winners of the Prog God award. Two of them were Tony Banks and Peter Gabriel. It's not like Genesis has been overlooked...

Henry
    Yeah, another 'parallel', two members from Genesis and Yes are Prog Gods!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    She's actually quite interesting - yet has absolutely zero advantage of being promoted by a bunch as dodgy as this. Anymore than Kate Bush - whose apparent alternative role seems to serve as a perpetual alibi to these circuits' purportedly self-justified "versatility" - would want to be.
    Seems you have an axe to grind- wanna just cut through the BS and tell why you act like they pissed in your Wheaties?