Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rare Lead Vocals

Rick Wakeman sang lead on one of his singles, think it was 'I'm so straight I'm a Weirdo'. Don't know of any other songs and he certainly never sang with YES, not even harmonies.

I think there's a Def Leppard song where Rick Savage sings lead vocals?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Knut M Valle of Arcturus on "The Journey" (does growls, chants and hums on Glacier records Solfeggio body)
    Samoth of Emperor on "Witches Sabbath" (also some vocals on Ildjarn's "Seven Harmonies of Unknown Truths" and narration on "Song of Liberty" by Ulver)
    Rune Eriksen (Blasphemer) of Ava Inferi sharing lead on "The Living End" (also lead on Mezzerschmitt's Weltherrschaft)
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 08-31-2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: There is always room for bacon
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No one's mentioned Ringo?
    See post #1

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    See post #1
    Honestly, I would not put Ringo and Peter Criss as "rare". They have considerable songs with their respective bands, it's just they were not the heavy hitters.

Add to my list Tuomas Holopainen if Nightwish on "The Carpenter"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 09-01-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Fried Baklava: Blessing or Sacrilege?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Does it count that Happy The Man was a mostly instrumental band, except for a couple tunes where, who was it,Whittaker? sang?
    Yes, Stan Whitaker but also Dan Owen and Cliff Fortney.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    On which albums would those songs be on?
    Both Copeland songs are on Reggatta de Blanc, "Mother" is on 'Synchronicity', and "Sally/Be My Girl" is on their first album, 'Outlandos d'Amour'.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Trower - "Poor Mohammed"
    Bev Bevan - "Ben Crawley Steel Company"
    Ginger Baker - "Pressed Rat And Warthog"
    Trower also sings Song For A Dreamer
    Ginger Baker sing on Blue Condition

Keith Emerson sings Spencer Davis Group hit "I'm A Man"
    Steve Katz - Sometimes in Winter
    John Weathers - Friends

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Both Copeland songs are on Reggatta de Blanc, "Mother" is on 'Synchronicity', and "Sally/Be My Girl" is on their first album, 'Outlandos d'Amour'.
    Ah, "Mother."
    To me, it is just a perfect song...it dances elegantly between "delightfully wacky" and "almost-unlistenable."
    The instrumental portion is a great example of the essence of The Police sound.

And truly, "...every woman I date becomes my mother in the end."

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Ah, "Mother."
    To me, it is just a perfect song...it dances elegantly between "delightfully wacky" and "almost-unlistenable."
    The instrumental portion is a great example of the essence of The Police sound.

And truly, "...every woman I date becomes my mother in the end."
    Yup. I love it.

regarding The Police, i have the Message In A Box- complete recordings.
    there are many unreleased tracks, b-sides, demo's sung by Copeland & Summers.
    in the liner notes it says many of them Sting just refused to sing them.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    R.E.M. - Mike Mills (bass) - Lead Vocals on the singles "Superman", "Near Wild Heaven",
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    regarding The Police, i have the Message In A Box- complete recordings.
    there are many unreleased tracks, b-sides, demo's sung by Copeland & Summers.
    in the liner notes it says many of them Sting just refused to sing them.
    According to the liner notes in one of my REM sets, Peter Buck wanted to do "Superman" but Stipe refused to sing it which is how Mills wound up with lead vox chores....Mills is actually a better singer than Stipe IMO ...Stipe does have charisma and personality, tho, and his lyrics are pretty cool if I'm in the mood for them

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Those are Andy Summers.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Steve Katz - Sometimes in Winter
    Not really rare as he had at least one lead vocal on the first five BS&T albums. His most famous one though.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Those are Andy Summers.
    Right. I named him in my first post on this thread where I listed the 4 songs, there was a question from another poster asking what albums they're all are on.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Keith Emerson sings Spencer Davis Group hit "I'm A Man"
    What was the Nice song where he sang lead? “Little Arabella”?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Rick Wakeman sang lead on one of his singles, think it was 'I'm so straight I'm a Weirdo'. Don't know of any other songs and he certainly never sang with YES, not even harmonies.
    I think he sings lead on Pedra da Gavea, the opening track on Rhapsodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    From wikipedia "....some songs in which Keith Emerson sings lead vocals: he shares the singing duties with Lee Jackson in "Daddy, Where Did I Come From", sings all lead vocals on "Happy Freuds" and sings the bridge in "Little Arabella". Didn't knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    'Happy Freuds' and 'Daddy Where Did I Come From'. I always thought 'Little Arabella' was Lee Jackson...I'd forgotten about the bridge altogether. I've always found that album very hit and miss.

Jefferson James
    Neil Finn is the brilliant lead vocalist (and primary songwriter) of '80s pop sensations Crowded House, but late drummer Paul Hester sang lead on a handful of great tracks ("Skin Feeling", "Italian Plastic", "I'm Still Here").

Terry Bozzio handled lead vocals on "We Don't Know Love At All" from the last Missing Persons album in 1986

Bottle Rockets guitarist Tom Parr sings "Dohack Joe" and "What More Can I Do" - Brian Henneman usually handles all the leads.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

[QUOTE=SteveSly;608179]REO Speedwagon had one of their biggest hits with "Back On The Road Again" with bassist Bruce Hall on vocals.

Bruce Hall is a great singer (& writer). Much as I love the blessed KC, I think it's a shame that Bruce hasn't sung/written more than a handful of songs in all the years he's been with the band. I'd love to hear a solo album. Gary Richrath took a few lead vocals on some of the early records. Fair to say his voice was limited but charming. It worked perfectly on something like Only A Summer Love from the COW album though.

Changing tack, Tom Scholz sang on Love Got Away from Boston's Life, Love & Hope album. Got mocked in some quarters but I reckon he did well enough (but them I think that I'm the only person apart from Tom himself who really likes that record at all), and wasn't there a Journey album where each of the band had a lead vocal? Might be making that up though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Jeff Beck - Hi-Ho Silver Lining (OK, it was a solo single but still, only time he ever sang lead as far as I know). I read about him doing this as an encore and letting the audience take the vocals.
    Well, most people like to pretend it never happened, but he did sing lead vocals on a song or two on his mid 80's album Flash. He's singing lead for sure on Get Workin', and I think there's one other, but I can't remember.

Kiss - Peter Criss on "Beth" and probably a few others but I'll defer to the Kiss expert Gruno to name the rest
    Actually, Peter sang lead quite a bit, not as often as Paul or Gene, but there's at least one song on each Kiss album he actually played on that he sings lead on. That's him singing most of Black Diamond, the choruses on Nothing To Lose, Mainline, , Strange Ways, Getaway, Baby Driver, Hooligan, and Dirty Livin'. I know he had a song on Psycho Circus, but I forget which one. And I believe he also has a verse in Kissin' Time, too.

Keith Moon sang (co-)lead on "Bell Boy" from Quadrophenia. Also the Who's cover of "Barbara Ann."
    Also, he sang Uncle Ernie and Tommy's Holiday Camp on Tommy. I saw an interview where Pete said he wasn't sure if he wanted Keith to sing Bell Boy, because he knew Keith would turn it into a "comedy" piece, which apparently Pete didn't want. Apaprently, we're supposed to feel it's some great tragedy that Ace The Face is humiliated on a daily basis in his service industry occupation.

Roger Taylor actually sang on most of the earlier Queen albums. 'Modern Times Rock And Roll', 'Loser In The End', 'Tenement Funster', 'Drowse', 'Fight From The Inside' etc. I think he has quite a strong lead voice, actually. It's also usually him doing the really piercing backing vocals in Queen.
    Roger sang on all the Queen albums. The vocal sound of Queen was in part the result of the blend of Roger, Brian, and Freddie's voices. I'm not sure what you mean by the "really piercing backing vocals". I think a lot of people assume that because he's seen miming the high bits in the Bohemian Rhapsody video, that he sings all the high vocal parts in Queen's music, which I don't think is really true.

There's a video on of the Queen DVD's where Brian dissects the multi-track of Bohemian Rhapsody, there's bits where he's soloing (as much as he can, because they did a lot of bouncing) the vocal bits, and at one point he plays one of the high vocal bits and says "That's us pretending to be girls". On some of the live footage I've seen, it sounds to me like both Brian and Roger are singing in the upper register on some of the songs, when doing backup vocals.

Roger sang at least one lead vocal on every album up through at least Hot Space. I somehow never owned either The Works or a Kind Of Magic, so I can't comment on those, but I don't think he has any lead vocals on the last two. I think he ended up having to a fair amount of lead vocals on that record they put together in the 90's, Made In Heaven, just because there was a lot of stuff that didn't have vocals on it yet when Freddie went home.

But if we're gonna bring up Roger, then we have to talk about Brian. From Queen II up through The Game, Brian had at least one lead vocal on each record, and I think he had a few bits on subsequent albums here and there (like the first bit in Who Wants To Live Forever, and the bridge of both I Want It All and Flash ). He's also singing lead on the bridge of Keep Yourself Alive. That's him singing lead on Some Day One Day, She Makes Me, '39, Long Away, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Leaving Home Ain't Easy, All Dead All Dead, and Sleeping On The Sidewalk.

REO Speedwagon had one of their biggest hits with "Back On The Road Again" with bassist Bruce Hall on vocals.

Bruce Hall is a great singer (& writer). Much as I love the blessed KC, I think it's a shame that Bruce hasn't sung/written more than a handful of songs in all the years he's been with the band. I'd love to hear a solo album. Gary Richrath took a few lead vocals on some of the early records

I was just reading an interview with Richrath in Guitar Player from 1982, where he says something like "I don't sing". The interviewer says "But you do", and he says, "Well, I don't sing well". This was in the process of explaining why he started using the wah wah pedal on a few songs and using all the harmonic chirps, to make his guitar playing more vocal like or something.

There was one song I remember from the early 80's, I don't think it was Hi-Infidelity, I think it was the next one after that. I actually don't remember seeing the video at the time, I only remember seeing it on VH-1 Classic a couple decades later, but there's one where Bruce Hall sings the first verse, I think. I think it was called Girl With The Heart Of Gold or something like that.

<<
    wasn't there a Journey album where each of the band had a lead vocal?
    >>

Well, of course in the pre-Steve Perry era, Gregg Rolie was the main lead vocalist, though I think Neal Schon occasionally sang lead too. Gregg then sings parts of a couple songs on Infinity, one on Evolution, and one on Departure. Neal Schon sings lead on one song on Departure, People And Places (a great song too), and Neal also sang lead throughout the two Schon & Hammer albums.

I think Generations is the only where all five band members sing lead.