Thread: Saw Glenn Hughes / Joanne Shaw Taylor Last Night

Saw Glenn Hughes / Joanne Shaw Taylor Last Night

I saw Glenn Hughes with opening act Joanne Shaw Taylor at The Music Factory in Battle Creek Michigan last night. The Music Factory is a 500 capacity rock club that I had never been to before. The place was not full, but had a pretty good crowd for a Monday night. They have a nice stage and very good sound system. It was pretty amazing getting to see Hughes in such an intimate venue. Along with Hughes I am also a big fan of opening act Taylor, and she did not disappoint. Taylor is a 20-something young blond blues guitar shredder with an incredible bluesy voice. I have seen her before as a headliner and she was once again great last night. She did a blistering 45 minute set that had really won the crowed over by the end If you like well-done electric blues rock she is well worth checking out. Hughes came on about 9:15PM with a guitarist and drummer, both of whom were excellent. His set list was very satisfying and ranged from his solo career, Deep Purple, Trapeze, Hughes / Thrall and Black Country Communion. His voice is still in amazing shape for 66 years old. He can still hit all the high notes and scream with the best of them. He also proved that he can still sing soul / blues which was especially evident on the old Deep Purple chestnut “You Keep On Moving” on which his vocals were truly amazing. His bass playing was also impressive and the band did a significant amount of jamming throughout the night. The drummer had to have been absolutely exhausted by the end; he was hitting the skins so hard. All in all it was a killer show from a true rock legend. If you are into Hughes at all and this show is coming to your town it is well worth checking out. Be sure to get there early to catch Taylor as well. Here are the set lists:

JOANNE SHAW TAYLOR:

MUD HONEY
    OUTLAW ANGEL
    JUMP THAT TRAIN
    DIAMONDS IN THE DIRT
    TRIED, TESTED & TRUE
    WATCH EM BURN
    THE DIRTY TRUTH

GLENN HUGHES:

WAY BACK TO THE BONE
    MUSCLE AND BLOOD
    ORION
    TOUCH MY LIFE
    FIRST STEP OF LOVE
    STORMBRINGER
    MEDUSA
    CAN’T STOP THE FLOOD
    ONE LAST SOUL
    YOU KEEP ON MOVING
    SOUL MOVER

ENCORE:

BLACK COUNTRY
    BURN

Saw them a couple weeks ago in Annapolis. Great show except the sound was so blisteringly loud I had to shred my napkin to use for earplugs. This is an older crowd and that wasn't readily appreciated. Would have been even more enjoyable at a reasonable level. BUT, great performance by both bands. Glenn still can belt it out.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Saw them a couple weeks ago in Annapolis. Great show except the sound was so blisteringly loud I had to shred my napkin to use for earplugs. This is an older crowd and that wasn't readily appreciated. Would have been even more enjoyable at a reasonable level. BUT, great performance by both bands. Glenn still can belt it out.
    Interesting, I thought the sound last night was just about right. It was loud, but I have heard a lot louder. As mentioned before, I was pretty impressed with the overall sound in this particular venue.

The Chicago show last night was sold out otherwise would have gone, there is. Saturday show but cant go

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    The Chicago show last night was sold out otherwise would have gone, there is. Saturday show but cant go
    Yes, I thought I saw where he was doing 2 nights in Chi-town.

I love JST, seen her many, many, times live and seeing her again in a few week's time.

Her new album is coming out really soon, although I don’t remember the release date off the top of my head. Although she is originally from England she now resides in my home state of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Her new album is coming out really soon, although I don’t remember the release date off the top of my head. Although she is originally from England she now resides in my home state of Michigan.
    I believe she splits her time between the UK and the USA.

SteveSly - I see you're from Michigan as am I. Not sure if she still is but at one point Joanne Shaw Taylor was living in Michigan. I saw an interview with her in a blues magazine within the last year or so and she mentioned living in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    SteveSly - I see you're from Michigan as am I. Not sure if she still is but at one point Joanne Shaw Taylor was living in Michigan. I saw an interview with her in a blues magazine within the last year or so and she mentioned living in Detroit.
    Yes, I believe she does still live in the Detroit area at least some of the time. She mentioned being in her “home state” at the concert.

I saw this show in August at Sellersville theater. I saw Joanne Shaw Taylor, for the first time, less than 6 months before this show and she was really good then. However, this time she was hitting on all cylinders (it didn't help I was up front and she was directly in front of me ). Fantastic!

Glen Hughes was a bucket list performer for me. He was very grateful to the audience for coming out to see him. They were a tad on the loud side, but just short of being obnoxious. The drummer played like a maniac. The guitarist had a lot of annoying mannerisms, but was adequate. I was hoping that he would play a song or two from the album he did with Tony Iommi, but, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Still a very good show by Glen and his band.

Some new to me news at the show:
    - Glen Hughes will/has become a US Citizen this year.
    - Black Country Communion will get back together (was vague about whether just to tour or a new album).

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    I saw this show in August at Sellersville theater. I saw Joanne Shaw Taylor, for the first time, less than 6 months before this show and she was really good then. However, this time she was hitting on all cylinders (it didn't help I was up front and she was directly in front of me ). Fantastic!

Glen Hughes was a bucket list performer for me. He was very grateful to the audience for coming out to see him. They were a tad on the loud side, but just short of being obnoxious. The drummer played like a maniac. The guitarist had a lot of annoying mannerisms, but was adequate. I was hoping that he would play a song or two from the album he did with Tony Iommi, but, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Still a very good show by Glen and his band.

Some new to me news at the show:
    - Glen Hughes will/has become a US Citizen this year.
    - Black Country Communion will get back together (was vague about whether just to tour or a new album).
    Agree, I was hoping for some Iommi material as well, although the set list was very good for the most part. BCC will be putting out a new album in 2017, but touring is still up in the air. From what I have read it basically comes down to Bonamassa's schedule. I get the feeling that the other 3 guys are more than willing to tour it. BTW Hughes new solo album comes out very soon. I saw the video for the single on Facebook he other day.