Thread: AAJ Review: From the Law Offices of Levin, Minnemann and Rudess

AAJ Review: From the Law Offices of Levin, Minnemann and Rudess

My review of From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess, today at All About Jazz.

It may look good on paper, but you can never really know how "super group" collaborations are going to work out until they actually get together and do something. In the case of the power trio named after its members—bassist/stick player Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Stick Men), drummer/guitarist Marco Minnemann (Steven Wilson, The Aristocrats, Joe Satriani) and keyboardist Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment), all names familiar to progressive rock fans—it would seem a low-risk proposition, given that there was already some inherent chemistry, with Levin and Rudess members of Liquid Tension Experiment, and every member proving themselves capable, over the past decade—or, in the case of Levin, five-plus decades—as leaders, band mates and compositional collaborators capable of just about anything.

With such a beyond-impressive collective pedigree, it should come as no surprise that the trio's 2013 debut recording—a project instigated by Australian-based Lazy Bones Records' label head and producer, Scott Schorr, simply titled Levin Minnemann Rudess—was such a critical and popular success; a rare feat for a (progressive) rock instrumental album. So much so, in fact, that it seemed that a follow-up was inevitable, assuming the trio could find time amidst hectic recording and touring schedules with Peter Gabriel and the reunited King Crimson (Levin), the Aristocrats and Joe Satriani (Minnemann) and Dream Theater (Rudess). As it turns out, the trio found a way to work around busy touring schedules...but more about that later.

The first, most important question is this: is the more wittily titled From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess more of the same—hardcore instrumental rock with tendencies towards the progressive with, at times, some hints of jazz (largely fusion-heavy) thrown in for good measure? Perhaps so; but with musicians as eminently virtuosic as these three are while, at the same time, possessing an unerring ability to find and lock into any available groove? Plain and simple, From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess is every bit as good as Levin Minnemann Rudess...possibly even better.

Continue reading here...

AAJ Review: From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess

My review of From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess, today at All About Jazz.

It may look good on paper, but you can never really know how "super group" collaborations are going to work out until they actually get together and do something. In the case of the power trio named after its members—bassist/stick player Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Stick Men), drummer/guitarist Marco Minnemann (Steven Wilson, The Aristocrats, Joe Satriani) and keyboardist Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment), all names familiar to progressive rock fans—it would seem a low-risk proposition, given that there was already some inherent chemistry, with Levin and Rudess members of Liquid Tension Experiment, and every member proving themselves capable, over the past decade—or, in the case of Levin, five-plus decades—as leaders, band mates and compositional collaborators capable of just about anything.

With such a beyond-impressive collective pedigree, it should come as no surprise that the trio's 2013 debut recording—a project instigated by Australian-based Lazy Bones Records' label head and producer, Scott Schorr, simply titled Levin Minnemann Rudess—was such a critical and popular success; a rare feat for a (progressive) rock instrumental album. So much so, in fact, that it seemed that a follow-up was inevitable, assuming the trio could find time amidst hectic recording and touring schedules with Peter Gabriel and the reunited King Crimson (Levin), the Aristocrats and Joe Satriani (Minnemann) and Dream Theater (Rudess). As it turns out, the trio found a way to work around busy touring schedules...but more about that later.

The first, most important question is this: is the more wittily titled From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess more of the same—hardcore instrumental rock with tendencies towards the progressive with, at times, some hints of jazz (largely fusion-heavy) thrown in for good measure? Perhaps so; but with musicians as eminently virtuosic as these three are while, at the same time, possessing an unerring ability to find and lock into any available groove? Plain and simple, From the Law Offices of Levin Minnemann Rudess is every bit as good as Levin Minnemann Rudess...possibly even better.

Continue reading here...

A great album indeed, though, to my taste, I liked their first one a bit better. I found some of Rudess' sounds distracting. Its almost as if he were trying to fit every "cool" sound he could think of in one album, in some cases, in one song! His piano work on a couple tracks is effing outstanding, and remain the stand out pieces for me. I think his piano work is second to none and wish he would do more of that kind of music, the guy is so amazing. I'm just not a fan of his Carl Stalling-like impersonations all the time.

TBH this, except that second to last track, did nothing for me.

Love it! I prefer this to the debut as for me, the tunes seem less "jammy" and more orchestrated and melodic. Jordan seems much more involved in the writing process this time, as his parts on the debut seemed "tacked on" to Levin-Minneman jams/riffs.

Read this in All About Jazz a few days ago. An excellent review that describes in much more articulate terms than I could my own feelings about this album. Given the calibre of the musicians and the quality of this release I'm surprised that there haven't been anymore comments/debate.

Ed

I am on the fence with this one. I thought that first one was entertaining but kind of empty experience. I haven't listened it much but when I do, well it ain't bad.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/