Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GG's IN A GLASS HOUSE-where's a proper remix?

GG's IN A GLASS HOUSE-where's a proper remix?

I don't have the vinyl so maybe it sounds weak and blah on any format but on my CD (Terrapin) this album sound like it can REALLY use a Steven Wilson (or whoever) remix/remaster/etc. Amirite? And there's some really kick ass passages on this album that show a really ballsy Gentle Giant (especially "Way Of Life") that just comes across as wimpy recording-wise. I'm not sure it sounds better on the Alucard or 35th Anniversary releases. Thoughts anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I don't have the vinyl so maybe it sounds weak and blah on any format but on my CD (Terrapin) this album sound like it can REALLY use a Steven Wilson (or whoever) remix/remaster/etc. Amirite? And there's some really kick ass passages on this album that show a really ballsy Gentle Giant (especially "Way Of Life") that just comes across as wimpy recording-wise. I'm not sure it sounds better on the Alucard or 35th Anniversary releases. Thoughts anyone?
    I first heard "IAGH" on the Alucard release from 2000. Haven't heard any other version of the album so I don't know if it sounds better anywhere else. However in the liner notes of the 5.1 Deluxe Edition of "The Power and The Glory", Gary Green states that "Glass House" was a "hard-edged album, a bit spiky" and Ray Shulman called it "a frantic record to make". I've heard that the multi-tracks for the other LPs in Gentle Giant's catalog are missing so sadly a remix of "IAGH" isn't possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    I first heard "IAGH" on the Alucard release from 2000.
    Is that the Dan Bornemark mix that came in a paper/digipak CD-sleeve?
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I've heard that the multi-tracks for the other LPs in Gentle Giant's catalog are missing so sadly a remix of "IAGH" isn't possible.
    I read a post a while back - not sure if here or the other place - from someone who had a friend who worked in a studio and was personally tasked with destroying a number of GG master tapes, along with many others, as part of a clearout. A damn tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I read a post a while back - not sure if here or the other place - from someone who had a friend who worked in a studio and was personally tasked with destroying a number of GG master tapes, along with many others, as part of a clearout. A damn tragedy
    Does it apply to Free Hand as well? IIRC there was a recent-ish cd release of it including a 4- channel mix. It is also plagued by having different mixes over different cd releases. Since it is my single favorite GG album, I wouldn't mind having a Steve Wilson treatment of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Is that the Dan Bornemark mix that came in a paper/digipak CD-sleeve?
    No mention of a mix by Dan Bornemark on the package, however, the release of "IAGH" on Alucard from 2000 came in a digipak (replicating the 3D artwork of the original LP) and a cardboard inner sleeve with lyrics (and notes by Geir Hasnes).

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Does it apply to Free Hand as well? IIRC there was a recent-ish cd release of it including a 4- channel mix. It is also plagued by having different mixes over different cd releases. Since it is my single favorite GG album, I wouldn't mind having a Steve Wilson treatment of it.
    I have the Deluxe Edition of "Free Hand" (on Chrysalis UK from 2011) with the quad mix of the album. The mix was done back in 1975 and was previously unreleased. As far as I've heard, Wilson could only find the multi-track tapes for "The Power and The Glory" (and most of "Octopus") so no new remixes of GG's albums are on the boards for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    What a shame. It's too bad that who ever was responsible for this 'clearout' could know that there would be a need for the master tapes (and the multi-tracks) of GG's albums.

On the Deluxe Edition of "Octopus", "Excerpts From Octopus (Live 1976)" is included as the bonus track and in 5.1 so Wilson was able to find the multi-tracks for that song. It sounds like the same track that was included on the "Playing The Fool-Live" album.

I have the Deluxe Edition of "Free Hand" (on Chrysalis UK from 2011) with the quad mix of the album. The mix was done back in 1975 and was previously unreleased. As far as I've heard, Wilson could only find the multi-track tapes for "The Power and The Glory" (and most of "Octopus") so no new remixes of GG's albums are on the boards for now.
    Thanks for the clarification. In your opinion, how's the sound quality of this Free Hand deluxe cd release? I mean, is it too compressed etc.?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have what I think is the Road Goes On release, which came in an oddly sized digipak sleeve (unless it's Alucard - has layers of clear plastic for the artwork). It doesn't sound very good. I'm sure Jeff forget-his-last-name will tell us his original vinyl sounds great. I'd believe it.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-21-2016 at 08:18 PM.

From a May 22nd posting on GG's FB page - "We are thinking of 'Three Friends'..we'd love to re-do 'IAGH'..if anyone here knows where the multis are..SHOUT IT OUT!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. In your opinion, how's the sound quality of this Free Hand deluxe cd release? I mean, is it too compressed etc.?
    On the Deluxe Edition of "Free Hand", the CD sounds fine (I don't hear any undue compression on it). On the DVD, the surround mix of the album (in DTS 96/24) is like the One Way release from the 1990's with too many bad changes from the original mix (they do have the option of playing the original master on the PCM track which is a good thing).

On the Deluxe Edition of "Free Hand", the CD sounds fine (I don't hear any undue compression on it). On the DVD, the surround mix of the album (in DTS 96/24) is like the One Way release from the 1990's with too many bad changes from the original mix (they do have the option of playing the original master on the PCM track which is a good thing).
    Thanks. I'll probably be picking it up someday. I own the One Way cd edition and an old UK vinyl pressing. I'd definitely like to have a good sounding cd copy of Free Hand.

The One Way was a stereo fold of the quad mix if I'm not mistaken.

AFAIK, "In A Glass House" has never been released in digipak format. The 2000 cd was in mini-LP packaging. The original Road Goes On Forever/Terapin Trucking version with the silkscreened cover came in a jewel case. Those versions are both better-sounding than the 35th anniversary cd.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    AFAIK, "In A Glass House" has never been released in digipak format. The 2000 cd was in mini-LP packaging. The original Road Goes On Forever/Terapin Trucking version with the silkscreened cover came in a jewel case. Those versions are both better-sounding than the 35th anniversary cd.
    Yeah, the mini-LP remaster is like an icepick in the forehead....AND HERE COMES THE ICE PICK IN THE FOREHEAD......a million laughs, Mary!

Back in the 70's when I bought my copy and brought it home and listened to it I was satisfied.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I think the first, WWA vinyl release sounds the best. Vertigo LP sounds a bit too tight. Of CDs, Alucard version is satisfying, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    There were two different One Way pressings of Free Hand. The first version was the correct mix but had poor sound quality. The second edition had improved sound quality but was that bizarre fold-down mix.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

In a Glass House - The Alucard CD is quite ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Back in the 70's when I bought my copy and brought it home and listened to it I was satisfied.
    You were alive in the 70's? You're really old.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I think you're right. I had the One Way CD of "Free Hand" (the 2nd edition) and remember the strange mix of the album they had. And the quad mix of "FH" has that same 'alternate mix' of the album.

I think there was actually a third edition from One Way that had the correct mix. I recently made a copy of the different mix for someone that wanted it and found that I had two copies of the One Way and one of them was not the first terrible sounding release. I had ditched that one. Biffy had written an article on GG for Goldmine and I contacted him about the crappy release when it first came out. I think I still have his response somewhere. The other copy I had was the right mix and didn't sound muddy or bad at all. Racked my brain trying to remember the details but couldn't other then I think I picked it up cheap as a cut out in my local record store some years after the fiasco. I'm wondering if One Way finally reissued it correctly without any fanfare later on. It does have a different inner matrix number.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    In a Glass House - The Alucard CD is quite ok.
    Agreed. I think it sounds quite good and absolutely does not need any Steve Wilson tinkering.