Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The IDEAL listening Room?

Time for another update.

Yesterday & today I moved my stereo, and today fired it up for the first time in the new room. It sounded pretty glorious. The additional airspace in the room (which ended up being 22' x 27' with a 12' peaked ceiling) really opens up the speakers.

I only had a few minutes to play with it, but will definitely drill down into what works and what doesn't work and what changes I need to make over the next couple of months. One change I already made, I moved the speakers out from the wall to 24" instead of the 16" I'd used in my old listening room. The extra size of the room seemed to want this.

I have about half my CDs moved over, so my tests had to be limited to what was on hand.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-16-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I've always placed speakers on the LONG wall of the rectangle.
    Except this time.

The 22' short wall is long enough to provide 10' between the speakers and still allow a good six feet to the side walls. So far, reflections don't seem to be a problem. I decided, looking at the geometry of the room that I'd rather place my listening chair 15' from the speakers and still be a dozen feet from the back wall. This will allow me to explore surround sound for the first time.

Since you are so inclined to feel the bass, you may wish to visit a local theater that has Dolby Vision.
    We have one near the local mall. Reserve seating, but tickets are about 13.00.
    My family saw Rogue One. The recliners were motor controlled and had subwoofers built into them.
    The picture and sound qualty were stunning, even in the baalcony toward a corner in the back.
    These recliners were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Since you are so inclined to feel the bass, you may wish to visit a local theater that has Dolby Vision.
    We have one near the local mall. Reserve seating, but tickets are about 13.00.
    My family saw Rogue One. The recliners were motor controlled and had subwoofers built into them.
    The picture and sound qualty were stunning, even in the baalcony toward a corner in the back.
    These recliners were awesome.
    Correction- it's not Dolby Vision. It's called Dolby Cinema.

Correction- it's not Dolby Vision. It's called Dolby Cinema.
    Clarification- Dolby Atmos is the audio format for Dolby Cinema, and Dolby Vision is the video format for Dolby Cinema.

I'm holding out for testicular activators.

So far, reflections don't seem to be a problem.
    I *do* get some reflections from the ceiling, I've decided. I'll have to build some hanging baffles to deaden it somewhat.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking fiberglass insulation inside a cedar frame with burlap stretched over it. But I'm open to other ideas.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Did you ever think of consulting Ken Golden? He knows a ton.

The recliners were motor controlled and had subwoofers built into them. These recliners were awesome.
    Remember the old "Egg Chairs"? They had surround sound speakers built into them, including a woofer under your bottom. I thought about getting one (they're being manufactured again, though grossly overpriced) but my recollection is that the sensation of sitting in them was not dissimilar to wearing headphones. Very localized sound -- everything sounded like it was taking place INSIDE your head.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Did you ever think of consulting Ken Golden? He knows a ton.
    He's boycotting me because I made fun of some of his woo.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I've been to Ken's listening room. The sound absolutely amazing. He knows his shit.
    Chad

I *do* get some reflections from the ceiling, I've decided. I'll have to build some hanging baffles to deaden it somewhat.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking fiberglass insulation inside a cedar frame with burlap stretched over it. But I'm open to other ideas.
    Hanging tapestries is is one solution that may also add a bit of decor to the room. Only problem is you will probably have to pull them down and clean them at least once a year. Another solution would be to build a triangular frame made of balsa wood or some other lightweight wood and stretch (not too tight!) fabric over it and hang that. I would think one or 2 about 36" long and no wider than 18".

The other solution is attaching the egg crate type foam in few select locations directly on the ceiling.

Most fabric is nearly transparent to sound. Stretching fabric over a frame won't give you any baffling without something underneath the fabric to absorb waveform energy -- insulation or microcell foam.

And one or two panels 3 foot by a foot & 1/2 would be dwarfed by the ceiling, which is 27 feet long by 22 feet wide. That's less than 8/10ths of 1% coverage.

Egg crates, beside being butt ugly, are an urban myth.

Most fabric is nearly transparent to sound. Stretching fabric over a frame won't give you any baffling without something underneath the fabric to absorb waveform energy -- insulation or microcell foam.

And one or two panels 3 foot by a foot & 1/2 would be dwarfed by the ceiling, which is 27 feet long by 22 feet wide. That's less than 8/10ths of 1% coverage.

Egg crates, beside being butt ugly, are an urban myth.
    Not egg crates, I'm referring to sound absorbing foam with the texture/shape similar to egg crates.

Here is a fairly inexpensive example:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Pack-A...&wl13=&veh=sem

You don't have to treat the entire ceiling, just the area between speakers and listening position.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    You don't have to treat the entire ceiling, just the area between speakers and listening position.
    Right on. I don't want totally dead -- just want to knock back the reflectivity a few notches. We'll see how many panels it takes to do the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal
    Not egg crates, I'm referring to sound absorbing foam with the texture/shape similar to egg crates.

Here is a fairly inexpensive example:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Pack-A...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Oh okay. I've seen stuff like that before. I'm not sure I'd call $2.50/sf "fairly inexpensive" though....

And attractive it isn't.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-22-2017 at 06:59 PM.

I decided, looking at the geometry of the room that I'd rather place my listening chair 15' from the speakers and still be a dozen feet from the back wall. This will allow me to explore surround sound for the first time.
    Tonight I placed a pair of full-range bookshelf speakers in the rear of my listening room and hooked them up. My head end has 5.1 outputs and provides a number of "surround sound" options (concert hall, jazz club, rock concert, etc.) which of course vary the rear channel volume and delay.

Luckily most of the settings are pretty subtle. It's not like wacky '70s "quadraphonic sound." The rear channels provide fill, without taking away from the impression that the music is coming from the front of the room.

I need to play with it some more. On Univers Zero "Live" turned way up, it did indeed mimic a live concert sound. Right now I'm playing Aranis "Made in Belgium" at a much lower volume, and the effect is barely noticeable. The room seems bigger, if that's possible.

Headphones is enough for me anywhere I go is fine

Try some of this in the walls! I'm using it in my studio and enjoying the results.

http://www.roxul.com/products/roxul-safensound/

Thanks for the link, I will look into it.

Mancave Very Important. Scratch Balls Drink Beer Listen Music Very Loud.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Mancave Very Important. Scratch Balls Drink Beer Listen Music Very Loud.
    I'm actually moving my above post to the Mancave thread now that I've found it. But you're right!

A woolen blanket is an easy and effective solution. The thicker the better.