Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Security Project - new vocalist

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    i understand why they feel the need to market themselves as a gabriel (and bush?) cover band, but, boy, with the talent in that band, i would love to see them create some original stuff. (or at least do some of happy's solo stuff live)
    That's a good point, some original music would be very welcome!

"New" music and some upcoming shows announced: https://7dmedia.haulix.com/Media/View/54802

The Security Project will be on tour in the North East USA and Canada with dates in May and June.

May 24, 2018 Bearsville Theater - Woodstock, NY
    May 25, 2018 The Center for Arts in Natick (TCAN) - Natick, MA
    May 26, 2018 Sellersville Theater - Sellersville, PA
    May 27, 2018 The Heights at Brother Vic's - South Salem, NY
    May 31, 2018 Lovin’ Cup - Rochester, NY
    June 1, 2018 The Garrison - Toronto, ON, Canada
    June 3, 2018 Petit Campus - Montreal, QC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    "New" music and some upcoming shows announced: https://7dmedia.haulix.com/Media/View/54802

The Security Project will be on tour in the North East USA and Canada with dates in May and June.
    [...]
    May 27, 2018 The Heights at Brother Vic's - South Salem, NY
    [...]
    South Salem? The talent in this band, and they have to play in South Salem?

Everyone with a real job, go spend some money on music. NOW.

^^^The problem is, despite all that talent, they're basically a cover band. What do you expect?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The problem is, despite all that talent, they're basically a cover band.
    I wish this weren't the case - there is some much talent in that band that I'd love to hear original music out of them. now, I understand that they might need to continue doing a fair amount of covers to pay the bills, but i don't think anyone would storm out of a show if they threw in 2-3 cuts of their own

I thought Brian did a great job when he was the vocalist. Although I believe he left because of scheduling and commitments with his other band The Carpet Crawlers.
    I never heard why Josh Gleason left, does anyone know the story behind that? I've enjoyed his work with The Waiting Room, but he's seemed to have disappeared from the internet.

When I first read on Jerry's FB page a female singer was going to front the Security Project, I honestly didn't think it would work.
    But after listening to some of Happy's work, I was like Yeah, that singer can sing!!

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing Josh Gleason in The Waiting Room and The Security Project. I will always cherish being at Prog In The Park when The Waiting Room did Misplaced Childhood in it's entirety. Unfortunately it was an "one off." Believe me, I have asked them to please consider doing it again. The reason that Josh has disappeared is because he got married and is raising a family. But supposedly we are not to give up on The Waiting Room. Just be patient. Family comes first!

Happy does a great job, saw them live last year, went in as a doubter, and came out as a believer. They were excellent.

Ember
    I've been a Happy Rhodes fan since her early solo days, and I've bought all of her albums on release. Her "Warpaint" is a DID for me to this day.

I had little interest in Security Project until she came out of retirement to join them. IMO her presence makes this something other than a tribute band; they may play covers, but they now sound unique. Recordings of original music by this group would be a gift to the world. They could legitimately include some of Happy's back catalog titles on such an album.

I was unable to catch them on the previous tours due to scheduling and/or health issues, but I've got my ticket for Sellersville in May and it will take a lot to keep me from using it.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I've been a Happy Rhodes fan since her early solo days, and I've bought all of her albums on release. Her "Warpaint" is a DID for me to this day.

I had little interest in Security Project until she came out of retirement to join them. IMO her presence makes this something other than a tribute band; they may play covers, but they now sound unique. Recordings of original music by this group would be a gift to the world. They could legitimately include some of Happy's back catalog titles on such an album.
    My thoughts as well, although I started collecting Rhodes' albums later on.

For starters with Happy Rhodes there's some news that's interesting: On the finally updated fan-site http://happyrhodes.org/ the news is posted that in June 2018 the famous Numero Group will release a compilation-album, called "ECTOTROPHIA". This is the tracklisting (behind each song is the album it comes from):

Oh The Drears - Rhodes I
    I Cannot Go On - Ecto
    Would That I Could - Ecto
    Where Do I Go - Rhodes II
    For We Believe - Rearmament
    When The Rain Came Down - Ecto CD bonus track
    If Love Is A Game, I Win - Ecto
    I'm Not Awake, I'm Not Asleep - Rhodes I
    Baby Don't Go - Rearmament
    Come Here - Rhodes II
    Don't Want To Hear It - Ecto
    If So - Ecto
    I'll Let You Go - Rhodes I
    Because I Learn - Rearmament
    I Am A Legend - Rearmament
    Perfect Irony - Rearmament
    Many Nights - Rhodes II
    To Be E. Mortal - Ecto

Saw Security Project last night in Toronto - I'm still surprised they don't generate more interest on the site.

Yes they're a cover band but they do what members here would view as the prime material from one of the major figures in progressive music over the years - and have Jerry Marotta in the band as a direct connection to that era of Gabriel's music.

That aside the show was fabulous under the circumstances.

Apparently Happy Rhodes became sick at the previous show in Rochester and wasn't able to perform.

As it turns out Rochester is where Josh Gleason lives so on a day's notice and no rehearsal he did the show here and was great.

I was really looking forward to seeing them with Happy but enjoyed it immensely - there were a few mistakes and Josh was using an ipad to keep track of the lyrics but pulled it off really well.

It sounds like she's only supposed to be off for a couple of days so should be back to finish the tour.

Hope they make it back soon with Happy but whichever singer is with them I strongly recommend seeing them if they're playing near you.

Ember
    I very much enjoyed the band with Happy at Sellersville, but was a little bit put off by a couple of things. The first was the lengths to which Jerry Marotta went to make clear that this was his band. Do I care? Less, now, than I did before, which was not much.

The second was that Happy seemed to have more than one moment of loss of concentration. Muffed lyrics, mis-timed entrances, etc. Maybe she was already getting sick?

Still, great show. Trey Gunn is a genius player, and as far as I'm concerned, the star of the show.

I saw them on the 27th. Spectacular show. Happy in great form. Excellent set list. I never for a moment felt it was "Jerry's" band. It felt like a band of equals. Can't wait to see them again!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

It would be great if Jerry would focus on his playing and not storytelling... I've seen the band twice, The first time with the brit singer.. GREAT!.. the next the chick.. NOT SO great. They are a tribute band.. playing PG's music. Reinterpreted?. personally I'm thrilled about hearing the music the way it was originally performed.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I saw them with Brian and then with Happy. Both were great shows but as a long-time Happy fan, was beyond happy to finally see her live!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
    " personally I'm thrilled about hearing the music the way it was originally performed."

then why go see a tribute band?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I saw them with Brian and then with Happy. Both were great shows but as a long-time Happy fan, was beyond happy to finally see her live!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
    " personally I'm thrilled about hearing the music the way it was originally performed."

then why go see a tribute band?
    Easy Answer(s). 1.PG does not play most of these songs anymore, and if he did he would "speak" the words. 2. I've seen The Musical Box a dozens times, but if HR was on vocals, I'd make different plans. 3. All of us go to see tributes for different reasons. If me, I was way to young to see PG play these tunes, Cummins came as close as I've ever heard or seen.

I'm sure that answers you question.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Saw Security Project last night in Toronto - I'm still surprised they don't generate more interest on the site.

Yes they're a cover band but they do what members here would view as the prime material from one of the major figures in progressive music over the years - and have Jerry Marotta in the band as a direct connection to that era of Gabriel's music.

That aside the show was fabulous under the circumstances.

Apparently Happy Rhodes became sick at the previous show in Rochester and wasn't able to perform.

As it turns out Rochester is where Josh Gleason lives so on a day's notice and no rehearsal he did the show here and was great.

I was really looking forward to seeing them with Happy but enjoyed it immensely - there were a few mistakes and Josh was using an ipad to keep track of the lyrics but pulled it off really well.

It sounds like she's only supposed to be off for a couple of days so should be back to finish the tour.

Hope they make it back soon with Happy but whichever singer is with them I strongly recommend seeing them if they're playing near you.
    I was at the Toronto show too...the sound was outstanding!! I had not seen TSP before so not having Happy Rhodes singing, it was a case of not knowing what I missed. That said, I don't feel I missed anything...Josh Gleason did an amazing Gabriel!! I had my eyes closed some of the time and he sounded exactly like PG back in the day. I have seen Josh a couple of times with The Waiting Room, however, never felt the same about his voice as I did at this show. Yes Jerry Marrota is bit condescending and full of himself, but I love his drumming, I even bought him a beer...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I guess we all see things differently, or relate to others differently. I've talked to Jerry for years & have always found him to be down to Earth & quite a nice guy. Mind you, I do remember that I'm typing this on a "we love to nitpick & hate" forum.

^ ^ If I could play the drum line from "Lay Your Hands On Me", I'd condescend to you too
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I guess we all see things differently, or relate to others differently. I've talked to Jerry for years & have always found him to be down to Earth & quite a nice guy. Mind you, I do remember that I'm typing this on a "we love to nitpick & hate" forum.
    Really?.. I see this forum as sharing our musical opinions. Do you consider yourself a music journalist?... do you get bands to add you to the guest list so you can review them?.. if that's true, I guess it's more music admiration than journalism correct?

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I guess we all see things differently, or relate to others differently. I've talked to Jerry for years & have always found him to be down to Earth & quite at nice guy. Mind you, I do remember that I'm typing this on a "we love to nitpick & hate" forum.
    I know nothing of Jerry Morotta aside from his playing on records I like, and his performance with TSP in May. Nor should his personal charm , if any, factor into a critique of his performance. My comment, based mostly on these facts (1-he did all the talking, and in the process made clear that this band existed because he started it, 2-he was allowed to perform absolutely horrible lead vocals on a song when at least two better singers were on stage, and 3-he got up, took center stage, and gave a rambling speech focused mostly on himself), was intendd to convey that there were elements of his performance which, from my standpoint, hurt the show. Maybe if I knew him personally I woud have been charmed.

It’s not a big deal and it was still a great show. But it would have been interesting to hear someone else speak too. Trey Gunn is a legend. Happy Rhodes is a seasoned solo performer. I don’t recall that there was even an opportunity to applaud each performer by name.

There wasn't any impression like that at the Toronto show - he talked 2 or 3 times mostly about Happy being ill.

He introduced the band at one point so there was recognition of them.

And he sang Back in NYC which he's been doing for years dating back to the Tony Levin Band. His voice has not improved with age but that's never been a favourite song of mine so I don't really care .

Varies night by night then. At the show I was at, Jerry introduced everyone. Told stories about each member. Trey talked. Happy talked. A splendid time was had by all.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I know nothing of Jerry Morotta aside from his playing on records I like, and his performance with TSP in May. Nor should his personal charm , if any, factor into a critique of his performance. My comment, based mostly on these facts (1-he did all the talking, and in the process made clear that this band existed because he started it, 2-he was allowed to perform absolutely horrible lead vocals on a song when at least two better singers were on stage, and 3-he got up, took center stage, and gave a rambling speech focused mostly on himself), was intendd to convey that there were elements of his performance which, from my standpoint, hurt the show. Maybe if I knew him personally I woud have been charmed.

It’s not a big deal and it was still a great show. But it would have been interesting to hear someone else speak too. Trey Gunn is a legend. Happy Rhodes is a seasoned solo performer. I don’t recall that there was even an opportunity to applaud each performer by name.

Trey Gunn published some new touring dates:

The Security Project is back on the road with selected show in the Pacific NW.

May 15 - Portland, OR - The Old Church
    May 16 - Seattle, WA - Columbia City Theater
    May 17 - Seattle, WA - Columbia City Theater
    May 18 - Vashon, WA - The Open Space