Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazing guitar talent?

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Jesus...she's SEVENTEEN! This isn't my cuppa...but to my taste she has more going on than I hear from Petrucci and malsteen combined. And she's SEVENTEEN. That was impressive as hell. I sure hope she doesn't pay any attention to sites with comments like some of this above...
    Agreed. As someone who finds Malmsteen absolutely cold and sterile, and Petrucci technically impressive but little passion towards him, this woman just floored me. Who knows why? On YT, her cover of Vai's "Love of God" equally impressive.

On top of that, I find her lack of visual histrionics a refreshing change

I was bored after about 2 minutes. She has incredible technical skill, but she's also a one trick pony. Sure, Steve Howe couldn't play a lot of those licks, but Steve plays well in a lot more different styles than she could probably never hope to approach.

Not my cup of tea (classical music and metal don't mix well imo), but kudos for accomplishing what she has... especially at an early age. I like Frankie's (chalkpie) attitude on this. I sure as hell can't do that either and I've been a professional guitar player for nearly 40 years. Chops and good sense of time aren't everything, but they are important and she certainly has that part together. Here's hoping she matures into a musician who has something of her own to say. She's off to a great start!

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    She has incredible technical skill, but she's also a one trick pony.
    Wait, have you watched any of her other videos, or are you comfortable assessing her to be a one trick pony after only seeing one trick? Because that would kinda dismissive, no?

Always be suspicious of any kind of alleged great guitar playing that requires not only shitty backing tracks, but any backing tracks at all. Most people who play guitar today only understand the world of "lead" and "rhythm". Very sad and horrible state of affairs.

This guy requires no backing tracks, listen to how he accompanies himself. . Without amplification even. Let alone feedback and distortion .

Nice to see all these big tough guys tearing down a 17 year old girl...as if she should be the finished article at that age!
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-16-2017 at 12:40 PM.

What would you do?

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Nice to see all these big tough guys tearing down a 17 year old girl.
    Does her age and gender make her immune from criticism?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Always be suspicious of any kind of alleged great guitar playing that requires not only shitty backing tracks, but any backing tracks at all. Most people who play guitar today only understand the world of "lead" and "rhythm". Very sad and horrible state of affairs.

This guy requires no backing tracks, listen to how he accompanies himself. . Without amplification even. Let alone feedback and distortion .
    To be fair, that's a whole different world of guitar playing and proficiency in one style doesn't negate all others. Guitar (especially if you include acoustic steel string, acoustic nylon string and electric) is one of the most versatile musical instruments and can be utilized in an infinite number of ways. As for backing tracks... maybe she just hasn't found any like-minded or nearly as adept musicians to play with. It's not a bad way of practicing.

At any rate... just another amazing guitar talent from another way of approaching the guitar (also without accompaniment or effects):

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Are those the tasteful ornaments of Downes/Sherwood in the back?!?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    as if she should be the finished article at that age!
    If she's not quite the finished article but chooses to put her art out there prematurely, what else is to be expected?

If you're an artist and you put your art out there for public consumption you are fair game for criticism, dismissal, cruelty and praise no matter the age and gender. It's the way of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Its not the music, but the execution that beams me back to Mike Varney's shrapnel label circa 1988.

My thoughts exactly...

Chops and technical ability: High

Artist value: Low

...but as stated elsewhere, this is only a stopping-point along their respective journeys...the creativity and Art will come later....their "tool box" seems to be well equipped for the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    To be fair, that's a whole different world of guitar playing and proficiency in one style doesn't negate all others. Guitar (especially if you include acoustic steel string, acoustic nylon string and electric) is one of the most versatile musical instruments and can be utilized in an infinite number of ways. As for backing tracks... maybe she just hasn't found any like-minded or nearly as adept musicians to play with. It's not a bad way of practicing.

At any rate... just another amazing guitar talent from another way of approaching the guitar (also without accompaniment or effects):

Tommy is great! I always love how he never takes himself too seriously. Him and Martin Taylor make a great pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    If she's not quite the finished article but chooses to put her art out there prematurely, what else is to be expected?

If you're an artist and you put your art out there for public consumption you are fair game for criticism, dismissal, cruelty and praise no matter the age and gender. It's the way of the world.
    Wow, very well said. You should be proud of your rationale for shitting on a teenage girl because she played guitar in public.

Meh. The world has enough guitar shredders. How about more keyboard kid wizards?

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Wow, very well said. You should be proud of your rationale for shitting on a teenage girl because she played guitar in public.
    Because she is a teenage girl she is immune to criticism. Gotcha.

Oh, also, what might be expected is "critical and constructive comments," you know, like the person you were responding to said.

Seriously, if you wanna argue for your right to shit on kids, go for it. I'm just gonna roll my eyes. (uneccessary ad hominem nonsense removed because I was cranky and being a dick yesterday. -jm)
    Last edited by jamesmanzi; 08-23-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Jefferson James
    As I said above: if an artist releases their art for public consumption they are open to all that comes with it. Stevie Wonder, at the age of 14, 15, got horrible reviews of some of his early singles.

(btw Kerry, just so we're clear, the question isn't "should a kid be open to criticism" it's "what makes a grown man watch a child playing guitar and think "man, I need to make a public statement criticizing her ability!")

Jefferson James
    (btw Kerry, just so we're clear, the question isn't "should a kid be open to criticism" it's "what makes a grown man watch a child playing guitar and think "man, I need to make a public statement criticizing her ability!")
    Show me where I criticized this young woman, please. I know others here have been dismissive, but show me, please, where I have done so. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Its not the music, but the execution that beams me back to Mike Varney's shrapnel label circa 1988.
    Bingo.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Show me where I criticized this young woman, please. I know others here have been dismissive, but show me, please, where I have done so. Thanks.
    I've been discussing your rationalizing and defending grown men "being dismissive" of a kid's youtube videos. Show me, please, where I accused you of having done so yourself.

Wait, have you watched any of her other videos, or are you comfortable assessing her to be a one trick pony after only seeing one trick? Because that would kinda dismissive, no?
    Didn't know she had other videos, thanks for posting. These show more emotional playing.

Damn... what happened to the good old days when you could bring home a hot girl from your high school, take out your acoustic guitar and strum a few chords, and she'd be so impressed her pants would slide right off?! Now they laugh at you!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Jefferson James
    I've been discussing your rationalizing and defending grown men "being dismissive" of a kid's youtube videos. Show me, please, where I accused you of having done so yourself.
    I am curious as to why, because of this guitarist's age and gender, it is considered "small" or "tearing down" by being critical of her abilities, talent, whatever.

I think it boils down to political correctness.