Thread: My latest project......

My latest project......

This is part band spam and part revelation:

Ive always been a "bright punchy piano-string lots-of-rich-harmonic structure" type of bass player for most of my needs ( I also do the "fake fretless" facsimile and "fake upright" facsimiles when needed)....but, recently, I started this blues project. The bass tones I was using were just too stringy and "new", no matter how much re-EQing and shaping I did...So I did something completely unorthodox and unheard of for me: I took one of my 4-String Jazz basses and put a set of black tape nylon flatwounds on it -- and I shuddered as I strung it....However, when I plugged it into the pre, there it was! The tone I was looking for --- just goes to show that I'm still old enough to learn how to eat vegetables!

music: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13435474

Thanks for that - I had a big smile on my face from start to finish!

Good stuff. Like the bass and guitar interplay.

But is it prog?

Nice tight bass playing! Is this a home studio recording? sounds really nice. Is that a real sax player? sure sounds like one to me. If not, wow, they've really come a long way.

Excellent blues

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Nice tight bass playing! Is this a home studio recording? sounds really nice. Is that a real sax player? sure sounds like one to me. If not, wow, they've really come a long way.

Excellent blues
    Thank you all for giving it a spin

Yup...Home Recording: I use a ten year old version of Sony ACID as my DAW....I don't do many loops, though: I've been MIDI programming since 1989 and Digital Programming since the mid 90s so I use this program for its simplicity....Unfortunately, the sax is a loop set that I tinkered with and bastardized and restructured the phrases that I wanted: thinking "OK, breathe - blow - biting reed hard - relax - etc" so I pitch notes up by cents for hard blow and down cents for release to make sound realistic, tuning and detuning others, etc.

Normally I program my drums from scratch using sample sets Ive collected off the internet since the late 90s....Lately, however, I've been using VSTi drum solutions (think "EZdrummer" oe "Slate Drums") and writing my own and/or using MIDI drum patterns played by a drummer. The ones on this song are from a FREE VSTi called "MT Power Drum Kit 2" (link below) ...I also use another FREE one that loads into a Kontakt host called DrumMicA by Sennheiser (link provided - its in German, which I couldnt read, but after trial and error I managed to get my free copy -- its worth it if you have Kontakt)

The organ I played using a N.I. B4 (awesome B3 Emulation)

MT Power Drum Kit 2: http://www.powerdrumkit.com/

Sennheiser DrmMicA: http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica