Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KING'S X - most underrated band?

Ty drove my dad's Mini Cooper around when i saw them - he's a big fan, i'm sort of indifferent to them...they have a few songs i like but i'm not into Pinnick's contributions.

Another band i think is the most underrated band ever is XTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Ty drove my dad's Mini Cooper around when i saw them - he's a big fan, i'm sort of indifferent to them...they have a few songs i like but i'm not into Pinnick's contributions.

Another band i think is the most underrated band ever is XTC.
    Interesting. For me it is the opposite. I love most (although not all) Kings X stuff, but XTC always left me cold. I tried with a few of their albums and they just did not do it for me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    Awesome show in minneapolis last night. Great sold out crowd. Impeccable mix and sound. Ty and Jerry were on fire, and Dug's vocals were great even though he can't scream like he used to. Most impressive thing: they hung around and did a meet and greet with everyone who wanted to. Worth the almost hr. Wait. They take time with everyone and are so cool about it. 20 bucks for a great show and meet n greet as opposed to 750 bucks for the same for AWR. Don't have to think about that one. I love this band!
    yeah I was there too, although I didn't hang for the meet and greet as it was late and I've seen and met them many times.

here's my review:
    http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/...e-8252016.html

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    What I find so cool about them us their humility and true gratefulness for the fans that have kept them going all these years. Dug even said as much repeatedly during the show. And another thing: these guys still really like each other. They were constantly cutting up with each other during the show and at the meet n greet.
    Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    First time I saw them, in 2001 they hung out in the parking lot with us after the show. Very humble, laid back guys.
    Some of the nicest guys in the business.

First time i saw them was a cold winter night in '89, we were waiting to get in and Jerry thanks us all for being there and offers to get us hot coffee to warm up.

Somewhere i have a photo of my wife and i with Doug, super cool dude.

I used to have a Yamaha Ty Tabor signature guitar, one time after a show i went to the car and grabbed it and found Ty by their bus, i said "Hey Ty, would you sign my cavity?", he looked puzzled as hell then saw i was holding one of his sig models with the control cavity exposed (i hate autographs on guitar bodies), he had a good chuckle after that and was gracious as could be.

I saw them in Springfield, MO for the Black Like Sunday tour, this is their unofficial hometown where the cut their teeth and the venue was a smoky little blues joint. I was amazed the number of people who had Sneak Preview albums for them to sign - these were some pretty hardcore fans. Probably one of their best performances for me. After the show they indicated they were hanging out for a while and we were welcomed to stop by the bus.

Now that I think more about it, if they would have achieved any more success they wouldn't be able to be so accessible to their fans. I was very impressed with the sold-out turn out in minneapolis thurs. night. prob. 700 or more. And they spent over an hr. at meet and greet after for prob. about a fourth of that crowd, but i have no doubt they would have stayed as long as necessary. Last time I saw them in Atlanta in 2009, smaller crowd but same thing. I love theisr music, sound, songwriting,etc. but it just adds something when you know that their just three good down to earth talented guys who are so passionate about music, and love to make music they and their fans love.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I can't believe their side projects don't do better with their own fan base. Two Fridays ago I raced from working late in Allentown, PA to Newton NJ to catch The Jelly Jam and the place was between 25 to 30 % full. And they played like it was The Garden! I WILL say this: if you're an on-again/off-again fan of their music but HAVEN'T seen King's X in person playing live (YouTube does NOT capture the electricity), you have no idea what you're missing. Sly Stone screams over Moving Pictures guitar tones with Beatlesque harmonies? To die for....
    I REALLY wanted to go to that one, especially since I missed the New Hope show due to our family's annual party.

The high water mark for Kings X exposure was probably Woodstock 1994, but it didn't seem to translate into a lot more record sales

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I surf the web for information not to hand over my email or have my privacy sold a la facebook. And I'm sure there are many such as I. So there is no way that a mailing list or Facebook post will ever reach a fan like me.

That said, If it was on the site and I missed it, that's on me.
    I'm right there with you. But I'd sign up for an email list (of a band I trust) from their website, but I won't go near facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I too didn't see DOGMAN as much of a "we're gonna be a grunge band like the grunge bands we inspired" moment but for Ty's change of guitar (and amps?) and Brendan O'Brien producing. I think I even prefer the successor EAR CANDY and there's another lost opportunity with a bad choice of single and the beginning of the end of their real attempt to take it all to another level. It was said earlier that they had so many chances and I guess that's true...but if you were into them as much as me and my entire band were you always wondered why they "had us at hello" but not many others.
    I think record label turnover may have had something to with it too. I'd have to think any inside champions the band may have had were forced out by the mid-'90s.

I can't help thinking the Kings X guys are more than happy with the way their career turned out. I think they love there "best band in the world that no one's ever heard of" status.

Jerry makes a vague comment about new music towards the end of this interview