Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bacon, Lettuce and TORMATO

I really love Tormato, of course its a step down from the previous albums but still has a lot of good music on there. On The Silent Wings Of Freedom is pretty awesome, and the opening double header of Future Times/Rejoice is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    2) I don’t know if Steven knows of the Tormato issue – it’s rarely been discussed anywhere. That’s certainly an album that would benefit from a remix with corrected Dolby issues. Too bad they didn’t catch it back in the day! "

http://yesworld.com/2015/03/yes-prog...m-seventy-two/
    I've read that Steven Wilson is not doing any more remixes of Yes albums after "Topographic" because the multi-track tapes for the other albums are missing. In any case a remix of "Tormato" would improve the sound quality. However, the album does not have the great songs that the other albums (from "TYA" through "GFTO") have. One more thing; "Tormato" has the worst album cover this side of ELP's "Love Beach".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    I've read that Steven Wilson is not doing any more remixes of Yes albums after "Topographic" because the multi-track tapes for the other albums are missing. In any case a remix of "Tormato" would improve the sound quality. However, the album does not have the great songs that the other albums (from "TYA" through "GFTO") have. One more thing; "Tormato" has the worst album cover this side of ELP's "Love Beach".
    Wondering if you folks have seen this recent cover - I guess some admire the Tormato cover:

Tormato is the exact moment I ran into the arms of Punk and didn't look back until Spock's Beard came along. I despised it so much. "Onward" was the only track I liked. Fast forward to a couple years ago and I decided to replace all my vinyl and purchased a used copy (in excellent shape) and upon listening to it I had a couple thoughts:

1) Howe and Wakeman sound like they're fighting each other to see who can play the most notes. Annoying.
    2) Squire's bass effects sound awfully dated.
    3) The production is lousy.
    4) "Circus Of Heaven" might be the worst song ever written.
    5) Aside from all that, I actually really like it.

It was, in fact, a missed opportunity. The band was flirting with a very cool concept: an updated Yes sound, informed by all the new music coming out at the time but staying true to who Yes was. It almost worked too.
    The Prog Corner

^I think Howe mentioned in a few interviews that he and Wakeman musically got in each other's way on this one. And Wakeman's synth sounds are just bad. Squire uses that bass effect like it's a new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Which songs were those?
    'Some Are Born' and 'Days'.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Tormato is the exact moment I ran into the arms of Punk and didn't look back until Spock's Beard came along. I despised it so much. "Onward" was the only track I liked. Fast forward to a couple years ago and I decided to replace all my vinyl and purchased a used copy (in excellent shape) and upon listening to it I had a couple thoughts:

1) Howe and Wakeman sound like they're fighting each other to see who can play the most notes. Annoying.
    2) Squire's bass effects sound awfully dated.
    3) The production is lousy.
    4) "Circus Of Heaven" might be the worst song ever written.
    5) Aside from all that, I actually really like it.

It was, in fact, a missed opportunity. The band was flirting with a very cool concept: an updated Yes sound, informed by all the new music coming out at the time but staying true to who Yes was. It almost worked too.
    For all of this album's shortcomings, the subsequent tour was one of their best.

^Not that you'd know that from Yesshows, which picked all the short songs.

I will say I softened to Tormato in light of my chronological ramble through the catalogue before Fly From Here came out.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    For all of this album's shortcomings, the subsequent tour was one of their best.

that and the Ten True Summers 1979 tour combined had to be the longest Yes toured (I suppose the Relayer/Solos tour were close) with a setlist

it's a good tour to collect live recordings of, lots of FM and soundboards. lots of variety compared to say, the GFTO tour which remained pretty much the same throughout

all shows start the same until after the medley; after that there are a combination of Tormato tracks in and out, removed and added. hearing them do Release, Release and Arriving UFO is a real treat. only handfuls of each. Madrigal and Silent Wings were more often (with Madrigal sometimes split and bookending Howe's solo spot) while Future Times/Rejoice and Circus of Heaven being played early on all nights; Don't Kill the Whale 65% or so. Onward being the only one not played on that tour . . . and Abilene being played just once (!) with that tape sadly not being circulated

repertoire tracks also came in and out in the second half of the set; Awaken, both Parallels and Going for the One a few times only, and Close to the Edge being played once only in Toronto which most excellently, was a request!

(looks like ForgottenYesterday. com may be down)

Tormato: THE TOUR: My first time seeing YES live. MSG Sept 6th? '78....Life-changing to say the least.

THE ALBUM: The beginning of the rapid ending of a once great band....like stated above, some very good songs, the rest, horrible!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    If not the absolute best. Man they were so good live in 1978. Scary good.
    The Prog Corner

So, do you guys pronounce it Tor-MAY-toe or Tor-MAH-toe, or just about right?

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    I revisited this today and my thoughts on this festering turd hasn't changed. It's a fucking mess from beginning to end. To my ears, it sounds like a tape being dubbed at high speed.

Turd is the word!

Going for he One is the last one I like.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I think Howe mentioned in a few interviews that he and Wakeman musically got in each other's way on this one. And Wakeman's synth sounds are just bad. Squire uses that bass effect like it's a new toy.

'Some Are Born' and 'Days'.
    Interesting. Thanks.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Word. Without a doubt the best show I ever saw, absolutely blew my mind and changed my life. They definitely brought the goods on that tour, even the Tormato material gets some fresh life. I still think the Wembley version of Madrigal/Silent Wings is one of the best live recordings I've ever heard. I wish that Philadelphia DVD had better sound and a better setlist, but it's still cool to see the band just a night or two after i saw them in Springfield, MA in 1979.

Bill
    Yes, it was great, wasn't it. I was already a huge Yes fan. The show was on April 16, 1979 in Ottawa. To see my musical heroes was a dream come true. I stood at the front of the line at my local record store, seats right near the stage. It was so great seeing each member up close as the Round turned, with Jon in the middle of the stage. I wish I could relive those two hours!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-18-2016 at 01:04 PM.

JA talked about this being a time of low energy. Exactly what did he mean? I would think they would be pretty up after GftO. Would it be from touring or did he mean just bad material? If that were the case, would they not pull back and try to come up with better songs or did the record label contract dictate things? Just plain ran out of good ideas?
    The older I get, the better I was.

I finally made it up to the summit of Yes Tor on Dartmoor this summer. Its pretty easy to get to too, just follow the signs for the army camp out of Okehampton. Make sure the army aren't using it as a firing range though!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    THE ALBUM: The beginning of the rapid ending of a once great band...
    Rapid ending? It's taken 38 years so far.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So, do you guys pronounce it Tor-MAY-toe or Tor-MAH-toe, or just about right?
    Good question, actually. I've always pronounced it Tor-MAH-toe, (even though I pronounce Tomato Toe-MAY-toe), but actually I've always thought the title, in addition to referencing Tors, and Tomatoes also referenced Tornadoes. So I should have been pronouncing it Tor-MAY-toe since I pronounce Tornado Tor-NAY-doe.

My brain hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    JA talked about this being a time of low energy. Exactly what did he mean? I would think they would be pretty up after GftO. Would it be from touring or did he mean just bad material? If that were the case, would they not pull back and try to come up with better songs or did the record label contract dictate things? Just plain ran out of good ideas?
    I've read an interview with Rick where he said that, post-Tormato, only he and Jon were turning up at the studio; the other three had an air of "couldn't be arsed", so he and Jon just ended up going to the pub and getting pissed.

Of course, next thing you know, it's Rick and Jon that are out and the other three soldier on with new recruits...

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I've read an interview with Rick where he said that, post-Tormato, only he and Jon were turning up at the studio; the other three had an air of "couldn't be arsed", so he and Jon just ended up going to the pub and getting pissed.

Of course, next thing you know, it's Rick and Jon that are out and the other three soldier on with new recruits...
    Maybe the other three were secretly in Howe's basement writing new music...

I find this amazing. This would mean there was a possible conflict during the GftO sessions that carried over and thru Tormato. Just can't imagine Alan saying, "Fuck It", and going home.

only he and Jon were turning up at the studio...

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    JA talked about this being a time of low energy. Exactly what did he mean?
    Was that the "high ideals low energy" quote? I thought that was Tales he was referencing.. Agree with a lot of folks the best thing that came from the Tormato era was the tours that followed.. Band was tight..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Was that the "high ideals low energy" quote? I thought that was Tales he was referencing.. Agree with a lot of folks the best thing that came from the Tormato era was the tours that followed.. Band was tight..
    Yes, your correct on the quote. But I had the impression he was talking about Tormato.

I heard an interview with Jon when Tormato was released and Jon sounded very excited about the band at the time. It was their tenth anniversary hence the "ten True Summers Long" and he had mentioned that they had enough material to make 2 albums at the time. Rick seemed happy about the direction of the band and the tour as many have stated here was tight and energetic. Some of their best shows ever. Next thing that happened was Jon and Rick split and the Drama lineup was formed. I just don't think this was an album made by a band that was in it's death throes at the time. Many here seem to think so. When the Drama lineup toured I remember Chris saying he saw an end to the band before and with the new lineup he didn't see an end in sight. Wow, this band could never seem to keep it together.