Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tull - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll...

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The Wilson remix is a definite improvement. The extra tracks on all of Tull's releases are astounding. Ian Anderson was a musical genius. It appears from the treatment if Glascock, he was also a cruel employer. I read up on Glascock after relistening to this record, particularly the latter day interview by Jonathan Mover of Barry Barlow. Very sad to see how a virtuoso player like Glascock could die penniless after being in a major band for over 4 years. I guess nobody forced him to sign the contract with Ian Anderson who appears to be the British version of Frank Zappa, at least as far as his business dealings are concerned.
    Wilson's remix is not the studio album. It's from a total re-recording the band made for a TV special. I think it's better than the original album!

Agreed. I did not know it was a total re-recording!

I thought the reissue included Wilson's remix of the album and the rerecording. (Looking at the tracklist I see only a few "original LP tracks" are included - multitracks missing for the others?)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The Wilson remix is a definite improvement. The extra tracks on all of Tull's releases are astounding. Ian Anderson was a musical genius. It appears from the treatment of Glascock, he was also a cruel employer. I read up on Glascock after relistening to this record, particularly the latter day interview by Jonathan Mover of Barry Barlow. Very sad to see how a virtuoso player like Glascock could die penniless after being in a major band for over 4 years. I guess nobody forced him to sign the contract with Ian Anderson who appears to be the British version of Frank Zappa, at least as far as his business dealings are concerned.
    I'm sure the mansion that Barlow lives in and the freedom he has to do whatever he wants with his time has nothing to do with his employment by Ebenezer Anderson, right?

Well, Barlow didn't have the same contract. Musician's are notoriously bad business people. Glascock is just one of many examples. Zappa and Anderson were wolves amongst sheep as far as their business dealings were concerned with other musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    It's an entirely different recording, from 1976. It's superior.
    Somehow I had completely missed this. Interesting!

You can notice a big difference in the songs that the original tapes were found and the ones that weren't. Greaser sounds so good and clear while Piper sounds so flat. Hopefully they come across the remaining tapes and more outtakes as they search the vaults for the next album remixes