Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tony Iommi: Your thoughts on his guitar playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Well, I'm not an artist and not even a musician, but I doubt the more important for them is virtuosity. If I'm right it has been over the top these days.

EDIT: Sorry if I misunderstood virtuosity as outstanding technical prowess/skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I think the only debate was really whether he is a good lead player or a great lead player. I don't think anyone discussed "limited ability."

I rank him as a great lead player, personally. But this is only one element of what he brings to the musical table.
    Exactly....Mr. Carney and I were having a semi-heated splitting hairs debate about one singular facet of his playing, which is really the topic of the thread.....I don't think there was any doubt about our mutual respect and admiration for him as a songwriter, riffmaster, and so forth

Oh ok.

Anyway, my nickname for him is the riffmaster general. I'm just glad I got to see him with Sabbath the other night.

Part of greatness is being able to do the most with what you have. For example, there are great vocalists who have not-so-great singing voices. Now, before we get into another pissing contest, my point is that one could be a great front man or have great phrasing and not be able to sing the notes very well. Two examples are Eddie Vedder (terrible voice, great front man) and Bob Dylan (nearly unparalleled phrasing).

WRT guitar playing, one doesn't need to have amazing technical ability to be able to have great phrasing or tone. And, by tone, I don't mean sound or equipment; I mean playing as though it's an extension of your heart and soul.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Exactly....Mr. Carney and I were having a semi-heated splitting hairs debate about one singular facet of his playing, which is really the topic of the thread.....I don't think there was any doubt about our mutual respect and admiration for him as a songwriter, riffmaster, and so forth

FWIW, I do not regard Tony Iommi as a so-called "virtuoso." I don't think that's his bag at all.

Although thinking about it, he does play piano, flute, I think harp and maybe some other instruments. But he's not highly advanced at any of these. Except maybe flute. Geoff Nichols has said that Tony is an excellent flute player and could easily join a band playing flute. But because of the way he is, it is something which he completely plays down. He does play nice flute on "Solitude" and "Looking For Today."

Didn't he play the flute in Jethro Tull?

I know Ian struggles with the damn thing!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

That would be news to me, but here he is playing flute with Sabbath in 1969. I don't think this song was well worked out at this point, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

That made my day! One of those quotes to make me laugh if the day gets to serious.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

I like very much Iommi's guitar on early BS albums, especially on the first two. Love his solos on Supernaut, Killing Yourself To Live, Evil Woman, Gypsy...Distinctive sound, and great feel...

Ok, these guys are far from perfect, but I just came across this and found it pretty damned cool. Especially the whole middle section, which granted they make a bit of a mess out of, but who cares ...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Ok, these guys are far from perfect, but I just came across this and found it pretty damned cool. Especially the whole middle section, which granted they make a bit of a mess out of, but who cares ...

Yeah, this was good, even with the dodgy mid section. Sometimes, you can't keep good song down.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.