Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Piper at the Gates and Sgt Peppers, Simultaneity

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Both Piper and Sgt. Pepper would have be way better albums with Arnold Layne / See Emily Play and Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane on those LPs.
    So how old are you? I can't disagree with the SFF comment, however I still remember to this day first hearing Sgt Peppers and being blown away in the summer of 67 as a 12 year old garage band musician in Hawaii. Hawaii loved the Doors, we played the Doors, Hendrix etc. But Sgt Peppers crossed musical boundaries and styles, and it was beyond rock. While PF and the American scene were about weird sounds, which is cool. The Beatles were surreal. It's reality that's been filtered with LSD, surreal, but not distorted to the max or totally abstract. It was therefore more affecting and more influential.

I'll generally take British psych over American any day but its horses for courses.

I never did get on well with the Doors though.....that squeaky organ and equally squeaky lead guitar were annoying enough but having a lead singer who came across as such a raving egomaniac is the cherry on the cake. The face of Jim Morrison, along with that of Morrisey, are ones I would never tire of kicking.

I grew extremely tired of the Doors while in college. One of our crew was an absolute fanatic and owned everything, plus Morrison's poetry books, biographies . . . absolutely everything.

This same friend answered almost every question asked of him with a Morrison quote . . . I wanted to break a fucking lamp on his face. Drove me crazy - - - really.

I have a distinct fondness for early Floyd -

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Who quoted Lennon as saying "Syd's a genius". Perhaps you are making up shit, to create a drama.
    Duh. Perhaps you're too dense to read the OP: "According to Pink Floyd: Behind the Wall, Pink Floyd and the Beatles were developing these albums at the same time in Abbey Road Studios. They talked together and shared ideas. John Lennon thought that Pink Floyd was on the cusp."
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    That shit about apples and oranges I've heard a million times and that's not an argument, so do not try to be his lawyer and leave him to say which of PF 60s 'freakbeat' songs is stronger than e.g. The End by The Doors.
    Away and get it up ye.

(ancient Scottish blessing)

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Piper sucks. Sgt Pepper isn't bad. The doors produced better music in 67 and 68 than these 2 bands
    I think Piper and Sgt. Pepper are brilliant. I also think the first 2 Doors albums are brilliant. but The Doors is a whole other subject for me. anybody who wants to talk Doors, please pm me. I'm a big fan of all 3 bands.

This thread needs more peace and love.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^I did peace and love in the sixties. It was overrated.

Peace and love sucks.

I'm 55, BTW.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I think Piper and Sgt. Pepper are brilliant. I also think the first 2 Doors albums are brilliant. but The Doors is a whole other subject for me. anybody who wants to talk Doors, please pm me. I'm a big fan of all 3 bands.
    I quite like the doors 2nd and 3rd albums. First album is a bit straight forward and dated to me. The doors and cream in 67 and 68 were pretty advanced

I'm 43. Piper sounds like kiddie psychedelic 60s pop to me
    Astronomy Domine is better than any single song the Doors ever did. Interstellar Overdrive, too....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Astronomy Domine is better than any single song the Doors ever did. Interstellar Overdrive, too....
    "Astronomy Domine" and "Interstellar Overdrive" are both superb songs, but considering they were never released as singles, why would you even make the comparison? "See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne" would be more appropriate. But as far as singles, "Riders on the Storm" is one of the greatest rock songs out there. "The Unknown Soldier" is a damn good single as well, as are "Break on Through" and "People are Strange". Very important to the time.

I love the Doors and Floyd equally. When and where I grew up, you couldn't have one without the other. To paraphrase the immortal words of Forest Gump, they were like acid and mescaline.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Duh. Perhaps you're too dense to read the OP: "According to Pink Floyd: Behind the Wall, Pink Floyd and the Beatles were developing these albums at the same time in Abbey Road Studios. They talked together and shared ideas. John Lennon thought that Pink Floyd was on the cusp."
    I don't see genius here anywhere. Still making shit up. You are not dense, an extreme lite weight.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This thread needs more peace and love.
    Yup, or a dose of lysergic acid diethylamide to blow apart some truly tragic egos.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    ^I did peace and love in the sixties. It was overrated.
    I hated it. Just an excuse for people to get naked

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Peace and love sucks.

I'm 55, BTW.

I'm 60 and your right....it sucks. Try explaining that to people in Vineland and Millville New Jersey

Banned
    I doubt it.

Last edited by Svetonio; 08-17-2016 at 03:21 AM.

I'm 43. Piper sounds like kiddie psychedelic 60s pop to me
    You are not doing the RIGHT drugs...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    "Astronomy Domine" and "Interstellar Overdrive" are both superb songs, but considering they were never released as singles, why would you even make the comparison? "See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne" would be more appropriate. But as far as singles, "Riders on the Storm" is one of the greatest rock songs out there. (...)
    I'm afraid that he doesn't think about the singles but that The Doors never recorded anything that could be compared with those two tracks by PF.

Banned
    So how old are you? I can't disagree with the SFF comment, however I still remember to this day first hearing Sgt Peppers and being blown away in the summer of 67 as a 12 year old garage band musician in Hawaii. Hawaii loved the Doors, we played the Doors, Hendrix etc. But Sgt Peppers crossed musical boundaries and styles, and it was beyond rock. While PF and the American scene were about weird sounds, which is cool. The Beatles were surreal. It's reality that's been filtered with LSD, surreal, but not distorted to the max or totally abstract. It was therefore more affecting and more influential.
    I don't think that Sgt Pepper is a "bad album", on contrary, but it would have been better with Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane on it. Same thing with PF debut if Arnold Layne & See Emily Play are on that LP. It's like, for example, that Live at Leeds - I mean the original 1970 LP - would have been even better album with Amazing Journey instead Shakin 'All Over (imo).
    Last edited by Svetonio; 08-17-2016 at 04:20 AM.

Nah lol. Only really good song on the album though. Interstellar is ok. Saucer is a good album.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    You are not doing the RIGHT drugs...
    I've never had any interest in doing drugs. I don't see the point in getting high

I don't see genius here anywhere. Still making shit up. You are not dense, an extreme lite weight.
    I'll say it again in a nicer tone. Please read the OP and all will be revealed to you. Hopefully.

I've never had any interest in doing drugs. I don't see the point in getting high
    Nor do I and I still think Piper is a masterpiece...possibly the most fully realised British psych album I've heard, and then there's also the non-album singles.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Nor do I and I still think Piper is a masterpiece...possibly the most fully realised British psych album I've heard, and then there's also the non-album singles.
    I love weed and Piper is better with weed. At least for Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive. Sgt. Pepper's? Not so much.