Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glam looks - what were they thinking?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    I played guitar and mellotron in a original Glam Rock oriented band in 1976. Bowie was into Soul music around that time...but the Glam Rock scene was booming and lingered on through the late 70's when Punk Rock was circulating.It was still very huge in theatres and Rock clubs and specifically on the east coast of the U.S. I was asked to join the band when I was 18 years old. I had been ....prior to that..playing with Progressive Rock bands in colleges. The band had management, ( two managers), road crew , a demo, bookings, and promotion. We started playing Rock clubs and this one particular manager set us up with an article in a popular Entertainment magazine which included pictures of us that were taken by a photographer named John Kelly....( name maybe wrong)..but anyway he had some credentials as he had previously worked on the Humble Pie Rock On album.

People started to notice us and we became important. Our music was not actually of a Glam Rock style. It crossed between cheap Stadium Rock and Progressive Rock. Warner Brothers heard our demo and offered to fly us out to L.A. to re-record the demo ....making an album....and putting us on a tour to open for major Rock acts of the 70's. The aforementioned manager landed these deals. He was a journalist that reviewed Prog in magazines and newspapers. .The other manager revolted against him and persuaded everyone else in the band to agree on sacking him. So the deal never went through. The opportunity was there but because of selfishness it was sadly lost.

To wrap this road story up.....allow me to tell you about the scene in '76. When you're seated in the dressing room night after night....about 2 hours before Showtime and this trippy esoteric beauty queen is observing the fact that you're a 19 year old and treats you like a God.??? Well....That freaked me out until I figured out the business. Many, many girls were in the audience and they wore glitter on their faces ..just like David Bowie did. This entire experience was utterly ridiculous and to the extreme of everything in life it involved. This for me was on a vast level,,and girls were interested in "Pop Star" types who were cute but played Glam Rock instead of Pop. They would just grab me when I got off stage even with the bodyguard next to me and tackle me to the ground. The bodyguard would pull them off and , grab my arm and bring me to the dressing room. I would get into the dressing room and say...."What the hell is that?"

This message to the inbox here was also a dark vibe to that scene. For example.....Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on stage performing in a club in the "Wings Of Desire" movie. The Glam Rock clubs up and down the east coast created that scene in that film quite often. But it would transform from that into a environment completely out of control that persuaded everyone to act the same. Which was hundreds of girls chasing boys that fit a role in Glam Rock. When I hit the '76 Glam Rock scene.,...(or what was left of it), I resented my decision to not play Progressive Rock. I left that scene and played in Prog bands for the rest of the late 70's. A lot of kids in the audience acknowledged that Marc Bolan......David Bowie....and Lou Reed...had brought damage to themselves and they wanted to do the same. Everyone was into the first Tubes album and "White Punks On Dope" contained a message for everybody.
    When you say your band "became important," but the deal fell through (too bad!), do you mean the band would still be known to a lot of people, or not because the album deal didn't happen?

Everyone was into the first Tubes album and "White Punks On Dope" contained a message for everybody.
    I thought "White Punks On Dope" was supposed to be about Patty Hearst's lawyers?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    When you say your band "became important," but the deal fell through (too bad!), do you mean the band would still be known to a lot of people, or not because the album deal didn't happen?
    Interestingly enough that band is still brought to my attention by people who are in their 50's and 60's. They recognize me and easily associate me with that band because I made a reputation for myself as a guitarist by the end of the 70's and for the next three decades. Some musicians tell me my history at gigs and I have no idea who the hell they are. I unfortunately did this to myself and just because I liked to tour and play live. To a degree it has it's bad points. You always get cornered. I am not a celebrity.....I am a musician that worked in theaters on the celebrity circuit for years.

This particular band I traveled with became increasingly popular and we didn't have an album out....but people were singing our songs and returning to gigs and it just spiraled upward from there. For example.....when I traveled to different states in the 70's....George Througood was a guy on the circuit who had a huge following. He had no album whatsoever....but he was huge on the circuit. His roadies would be tearing down while we were setting up. Our band played to an audience of that magnitude except we went nowhere as opposed to George T. who hit the big time. We didn't break the barrier....he did. 20 years later....I played a huge venue and saw our pictures tacked to the dressing room wall along with everybody else's. Ancient fossil..

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I thought "White Punks On Dope" was supposed to be about Patty Hearst's lawyers?
    Was it? Well in '76 everyone was singing it and it's most likely that they didn't understand the concept in mind when the song was wrote, and were applying it's lyricism to their own personal agenda. Just like the hundreds of kids I played for who thought all the Zappa songs promoted sex when many times Zappa was making fun of people who abused sex and commercialized it .

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, to me it seems like an extension of Glam.
    I don't think I ever really thought of it that way but yeah you are probably right.

Also, Glam was to influence another movement later in the 70's: the New Romantics...(early Duran Duran, Visage, Japan, Spandau Ballet, etc.)

According to Wikipedia: Origins
    David Bowie's androgynous Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders look, which was a major influence on the movement. The New Romantic movement developed almost simultaneously in London and Birmingham. In London it grew out of David Bowie and Roxy Music nights, run during 1978 in the nightclub Billy's in Dean Street, London

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I remember them, bloody hell. A latter-day Flock of Seagulls. Their single 'Son of My Father' (co-written by Giorgio Moroder and one of the first to feature a Moog synth) kept Don MacLean's American Pie off the UK number one spot.
    I remember them. I think I once had a record by them from the public library.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think the eighties hair metal look was just as bad if not worse.
    except they made only girls cream their jeans (well maybe not Twisted Sister's monster leader)... whereas the 70's Glams were also after unsure young boys...

Despite me hating those Hair metal bands, even if they used female make-up and cloth frills, they asserted their heterosexual preferences, where a lot of those 70's artistes were aiming at androgyn/neutral/ambiguous/gay looks and some had an artsy-fartsy goal as well (Bowie, sometimes, anyways)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    It's a fairly cost-effective marketing ploy. Here we, nearly 45 years later, still talking about these outfits. Imagine how outrageous they must have been then. Besides, Rundgren, Eno and Ferry had the substance to go with the style. As did Bowie and Gabriel.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And KISS looked horrible in the 70s. Never understood the appeal to 13 year olds.
    Kiss was a fairly different thing.. I don't think they were aiming the late-teens, but axed at more like 8 to 12 yo boys into marvel or DC comics ... and their looks were not ambiguous: they were straight-up males, not androgyns or gay-looking (IMHO opinion) pumping out near-metal macho rock. I also think their paraphernelia made them the only one in their category

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ^True. I was actually repulsed by the glam look back then. It just seemed like a gimmick. My loss. I missed out. I was listening to "serious" rock in those days. Eventually I got out of the rock loop for about 20 years.
    TBH, I was also quite repulsed by these galm artistes as well - just like I was with all of these similar oufit bands lile Bay City Rollers or Osmonds and I didn't like the early Beatles/Beach Boys/surf rock suits-wearing-bands. I guess they were threatening my individual male-to-be ideal image I wanted for myself. I know I wasn't the only one in high school loathing these "gay-artistes" (the whole football team made it a point, and I was outside left linebacker), but the "males" had to recognize ome song talents from some of them artistes.

Musically I thought, back then, of those glam bands as song-bands rather than album-bands; and looking at them nowadays, I think I still do... Even stronger album bands like Bowie or Mott, I can't think of one album of theirs entering my top 500, despite having some really brilliant songs entering my top 50 (Bowie's 5 years or Sweet' Ballroom Blitz, for ex). So IMHO, these bands didn't have sufficient songwriting proficiency to be my faves (yesterday or today) because I still don't own "glam" albums, except for two Elton John albums (Madman & Yellow Brick). OK, I owned one Bowie compilation (but it doesn't have 5 years, sadly) and a Sweet one back then and I still have to buy them in the CD format.

The only exception I can think of was Queen (I owned a fair bit of their albums), but they dropped the glam thing (with their first album's back cover) rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Tubes were like Sparks, IMHO... When they wore glam outfits, we knew it wasn't because they were "gay", but they did it because the music they wrote required it (like The Gabe in Genesis did). I mean, Tubes had some pictures of the band looking quite leathery-macho, but not the Village-people way... more like Steppenwolf-types

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Also, Glam was to influence another movement later in the 70's: the New Romantics...(early Duran Duran, Visage, Japan, Spandau Ballet, etc.)
    that's again slightly different, IMHO. Weren't Romantics supposed to be a 60's thing anyways??

Different partly because MTV and videoclips were altering the game... Looks became more important than the music then. In the 70's glam, I'd say that music was still 65% of the deciding factor when buying the albums, whereas in the 80's, it was maybe only 45%, because one had to be trendy and gulp down everything MTV threw at you. To succeeed, you had to paint your little finger nail in black, because the calera shooting the vids would make a pint of showing it.

The only really awkward-looking (or gay-looking) looking character I can really think of was Boy George.
    I mean even the outright gay Bronski Beat/Communards didn't go for the feather-in-arse stuff.
    Last edited by Trane; 08-15-2016 at 02:14 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Even Magma got the virus

I played guitar and mellotron in a original Glam Rock oriented band in 1976.
    Whey-hey ! We want photos of your dress!

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Kapt Kool and the Kongs anyone?
    One of the cast members on that show was Bert Sommer (leftmost in the picture), a most wonderful singer-songwriter who was one of the performers on the opening day at Woodstock. He had a minor hit in the early 70s "We're All Playing in the Same Band." Too bad he's gone.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

My investigations reveal that one of the auditionees (is that right?) for the Bugaloos was...Phil Collins!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Lol! one of the managers wore a dress and she ruined everything

My investigations reveal that one of the auditionees (is that right?) for the Bugaloos was...Phil Collins!
    Already cited in my earlier post about the whole Sid and Marty thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    One of the cast members on that show was Bert Sommer (leftmost in the picture), a most wonderful singer-songwriter who was one of the performers on the opening day at Woodstock. He had a minor hit in the early 70s "We're All Playing in the Same Band." Too bad he's gone.
    The lead singer was Michael Lembeck, who subsequently had a rather more conventional acting career.

So Phil could've ruined Glam as well??

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    So Phil could've ruined Glam as well??
    Lol!.....I can just hear Phil Collins now...."People make comments about the way I look , the music I play...and I feel frustrated that I can't get back at these people"...Remember when he said that on the 80's Genesis documentary? You make your bed and you sleep in it. It doesn't matter what people think about your life anyway...unless you care too much and that alone just contributes to the on going profit of anti-depressants.

Don't forget about Alice -

AliceCooperBitch.jpg
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    that's again slightly different, IMHO. Weren't New Romantics supposed to be a 60's thing anyways??

yeah....1760s........ the New Romantic period was a redo of the frills, puffy shirts, jackets, and lace originally like the aristocracy of the 18th and 19th centuries (hence the term "New Romantic") with punk accents and other liberties

Last edited by klothos; 08-15-2016 at 01:00 PM.

yeah....1760s........ the New Romantic period was a redo of the frills, puffy shirts, jackets, and lace originally like the aristocracy of the 18th and 19th centuries (hence the term "New Romantic") with punk accents and other liberties

Ooops, I meant that the 80's new romantics were aping a 60's fashion trait (Hendrix' early-period frilly shirts and that kind of stuff)

George Alan O'Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Maybe Enid is Kaptain Kool or one of the Kongs. Or one of The Bugaloos!

Jesus, come on!