Thread: ESPERANZA SPALDING -Emily's D+Evolution

ESPERANZA SPALDING -Emily's D+Evolution

Got an early ticket purchase option..Had heard the name, didn't really know the artist(her)..did some Youtube searches..Well, after this , I BOUGHT TICKETS! check it out..

https://youtu.be/joq3teY9f1U

I've seen her twice, with the second time being the Emily show.

She's phenomenal, period.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

This is one of the best albums of the year and quite prog in spots. Opening cut has more than a few nods to Crimson, for example. But the depth and scope of the whole album is what puts it in the prog ballpark.

Killer stuff. Love it.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I've seen her twice, with the second time being the Emily show.

She's phenomenal, period.
    Would love to see her band! And she'll be in Ithaca in October, so I'll have to get tickets.

The new album is fantastic! I missed seeing her live here in D.C. earlier this year, but I'll probably go see her play in Annapolis in October.

I can hear a lot of influences on this album, but she combines them in a very interesting way. It's also a bold creative move for her, since many of her existing fans probably aren't into rock sounds.

Such a great album. Her singing reminds me of Deborah Holland from Eye To Eye. Everyone should have this album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Such a great album. Her singing reminds me of Deborah Holland from Eye To Eye. Everyone should have this album.

What an interesting comparison. I only know Deborah Holland from Animal Logic but she has some great material on there and sings wonderfully. I can sort of see why you say this. I need to check out Eye to Eye. Is that one of her later bands?

I do like Esperanza a lot. I've loved all of her work thus far. We've had chances to see her in a more jazz setting with folks like DeJohnette and Terri Lynne Carrington but she does excellent work in the more progressive soul/fusion realm also with large electric groups, horns, et al. This isn't actually that much of a shift, though the media thinks it is. This seems very natural for her. There is some fantastic writing and playing on here. Note that the core group is a TRIO but as full a sound as one could ever expect. Guitar, bass and drums for the bulk of the record (and live too, i believe). A very impressive outing

Here's my favourite live clip of her in action:

Just the fact that she can play those bass lines and singing at the same time, i've fallen in love with her. This tune's a thorny one
    Last edited by Polypet; 08-17-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Killer album! Sounds like Joni at times.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Very true! Like here-

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    What an interesting comparison. I only know Deborah Holland from Animal Logic but she has some great material on there and sings wonderfully. I can sort of see why you say this. I need to check out Eye to Eye. Is that one of her later bands?

I do like Esperanza a lot. I've loved all of her work thus far. We've had chances to see her in a more jazz setting with folks like DeJohnette and Terri Lynne Carrington but she does excellent work in the more progressive soul/fusion realm also with large electric groups, horns, et al. This isn't actually that much of a shift, though the media thinks it is. This seems very natural for her. There is some fantastic writing and playing on here. Note that the core group is a TRIO but as full a sound as one could ever expect. Guitar, bass and drums for the bulk of the record (and live too, i believe). A very impressive outing

Here's my favourite live clip of her in action:

Just the fact that she can play those bass lines and singing at the same time, i've fallen in love with her. This tune's a thorny one
    Sorry, Deborah Berg not Holland. I saw Animal Logic once. Eye to Eye had two amazing albums, Eye to Eye and Shakespeare Stole My Baby, in the 80s. Clean Slate from 05 is pretty good too. Steely Dan producer Gary Katz produced the first two albums. Check them out. And yes, Esperanza's voice reminds me of Deborah Berg.

Deborah Berg, eh? Thanks. I'll have to check that out
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I just discovered her and am totally blown away. What an incredibly unique talent. Her voice is to die for and reminds me so much of Joni at times. And then add the fac that she is such an accomplished musician and expressive and soulful bass player. I watched the nrp performance of the new album and I'm hooked. The combination of incredibly diverse and complex music and subtle but moving performance art is just stunning. Can't wait to go back over her whole catalog. And not surprised at all she's loved and appreciated on this site.

I have tons of respect for Esparanza, one of the current young artists with the most integrity out there. She’s fantastic!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

bump.

I've been really loving this album the last few months. Love the blend of genres beyond Jazz. Reminds me a decent amount of Janelle Monae in fact, and the fact she played on Janelle's last album, it doesn't surprise me.

She is on Sound Opinions this week even

http://soundopinions.org/show/580

I love ES! Have seen her twice (once was Emily).

Is it truth or just a compounded rumor that when she graduated from Berklee they on the spot offered her a teaching position?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I love ES! Have seen her twice (once was Emily).

Is it truth or just a compounded rumor that when she graduated from Berklee they on the spot offered her a teaching position?
    I'm a little jealous! I'd love to see one of her concerts, whether as Emily or not.

Not sure about that rumor though. It could be true. All I knew was that she was one of the youngest instructors in the history of Berklee, which is still pretty darn impressive.