Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Top 10 Essential 80's Prog Albums.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What about stuff like My Life in the Bush of Ghosts and Discipline?

essential to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    But they used synthesizers. I was SO disappointed when this came out. I guess the redeeming value of the album is that it turned a lot of people on to progressive rock that weren't aware of it before then. Maybe the same thing can be said about 90125, which has some progressive value to it. This is basically a list of the most popular progressive rock albums of the 80's, that if you consider Asia prog.
    I don't see how Asia was progressive at all. I thought it was a great straight rock album when I jogged to it at age 14, though, except for the two hits. 90125... something neo-progressive going on there.

Just me, but Asia didn't seem to have an impact on me to turn progressive and didn't know who Steve Howe was. I have a mental block because decades later I don't picture him ever having been in Asia. Completely serious, and I'll have to talk to my shrink about this at some point. 90125 led me straight to The Yes Album and Classic Yes, and I played those three a lot for a long time. I burned out on 90125 so then went to 70s Yes and waited for the new album which...never...came...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not if you are an avanthead, superb decade, Eskaton, Univers Zero, Dun, Art Zoyd, Present, Zamla Mammaz Manna, Thinking Plague.

I assume you meant Discipline not Red
    Yes, I meant Discipline (the red album) :-)

Not if you are an avanthead, superb decade, Eskaton, Univers Zero, Dun, Art Zoyd, Present, Zamla Mammaz Manna, Thinking Plague.
    I haven't ventured too far into the avantguard side of things, and certainly not from this decade, but I want to. Care to suggest an album?

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    I haven't ventured too far into the avantguard side of things, and certainly not from this decade, but I want to. Care to suggest an album?
    Univers Zero are a must. Undeniably avant-garde and daring, yet accessible. I started with UZED, one of their 80s releases, and never looked back.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post

Avant/Zeuhl
    Dün - Eros
    Eskaton – 4 Visions
    Present - Triskaidekaphobie
    Shub Niggurath - Les Morts Vont Vite
    Thinking Plague - In This Life
    Univers Zero - Ceux Du Dehors
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Avant/Zeuhl
    Dün - Eros
    Eskaton – 4 Visions
    Present - Triskaidekaphobie
    Shub Niggurath - Les Morts Vont Vite
    This, start with Univers Zero.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

In no particular order:
    Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
    Oil and Gold - Shriekback
    Worlds Apart - Saga
    Gone to Earth - Dave Sylvian
    Reach the Beach - The Fixx
    The Flat Earth - Thomas Dolby
    90125 - YES
    Discipline - KC
    Clutching at Straws - marillion
    Spirit of Eden - Talk Talk

I'm not going to argue against Moving Pictures or Misplaced Childhood but man the rest of the list is sad(IMO).
    Many of my favourites have been listed by others but I'd also list:
    Rahmann-s/t
    Hawkwind-Levitation
    Hugh Hopper & Alan Gowen-Two Rainbows Daily
    Eider Stellaire-I
    Serge Bringolf-Vision
    This Heat-Deceit
    PLJ Band-Armageddon
    Yog Sothoth-s/t
    Miriodor-Recontres
    Thule-Ultima Thule
    Etron Fou Leloublans-Les Poumans Gonfles
    Brian Eno-Ambient 4-On Land
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I'd probably go with (staying conservatively within the prog genre and therefore not adding such albums as My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, Talk Talk albums, Sonny Sharrock albums, avant jazz, ECM, etc.).

A pretty bad decade for prog. A few heavy hitters dominate my tops of the decade. My top ten would include (in no order)

Eskaton - 4 Visions
    King Crimson - Discipline
    Univers Zero - Heatwave
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Dun - Eros
    Present - Triskaidékaphobie
    Present - Le poison qui rend fou
    Kultivator - Barndomens Stigar
    Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'd probably go with (staying conservatively within the prog genre and therefore not adding such albums as My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, Talk Talk albums, Sonny Sharrock albums, avant jazz, ECM, etc.).

A pretty bad decade for prog. A few heavy hitters dominate my tops of the decade. My top ten would include (in no order)

Eskaton - 4 Visions
    King Crimson - Discipline
    Univers Zero - Heatwave
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Dun - Eros
    Present - Triskaidékaphobie
    Present - Le poison qui rend fou
    Kultivator - Barndomens Stigar
    Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
    How did Moving Picutures make this list? By my count, there are only two, maybe there prog songs on that. Of course, 40 minutes of greatness.

There wasn't that much in the 70's vein of prog, but there was still plenty of pretty out there groups that still satisfy the "prog" itch, for me at least. Groups like Japan, Talking Heads, PiL, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Zappa, Beefheart, XTC, Cardiacs, and those bands mentioned above were writing plenty of great left field material. Sure when compared to the seventies there were certainly fewer groups writing grand 30 minute long, classically inspired epics, but the spirit of experimentation certainly didn't die out in the 80's. None of those 10 on that list would be on mine.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    How did Moving Picutures make this list? By my count, there are only two, maybe there prog songs on that. Of course, 40 minutes of greatness.
    Because when I once said that I didn't, by and large, consider Rush to be prog, the PE sentiment was about 10-1 against (and loudly!).

I'm not sure why folks say the 80's were shit - some of my favorite albums are from the 80's. In no particular order, here are some essentials and gems to my ears:

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
    Rush - Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure
    Peter Gabriel - Melt, Security, So, Passion
    Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Franks Wild Years, Big Time
    Albert Marcoeur - Celui ou y'a Joseph
    UZ - Ceux
    KC - Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair, Absent Lovers
    Cardiacs - The Seaside, A Little Man...., On Land and in the Sea, Live, Rude Bootleg
    Recommended Records Sampler
    This Heat - Deceit, s/t
    FZ - Shut Up..., Ship Arriving Too Late, You are What You Is, Man From Utopia, The Perfect Stranger, Thing-Fish, Guitar, The '88 band albums (if you wanna count them)
    Zamla - Familjesprickor
    Present - Le Poison, Triskaidekaphobie
    Dun - Eros
    Magma - Retrospetiw
    Von Zamla - 1983
    Picchio - Abiamo....
    Fred Frith - Gravity, Speechless, Cheap....
    Art Bears - The World as it is Today
    Shub - Les Morts
    Naked City
    Begnagrad - Begnagrad
    The Work - Rubber Cage
    Tull - A, Broadsword, 20 Years Boxset
    News From Babel - Letters Home, Sirens/Work
    XTC - Black Sea, English Settlement
    Beefheart - Doc at the Radar Station, Ice Cream for Crow
    The Homosexuals
    The Fear Merchants - Mental
    Gus Coma

That's a start and I'm tired. Anybody that rips on the 80's needs to open their ears a bit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Because when I once said that I didn't, by and large, consider Rush to be prog, the PE sentiment was about 10-1 against (and loudly!).
    Oh, sorry!

As most, I think Rush had some songs that were clearly prog, then border line prog. Here is something sort of funny... in 2004 or 2005 I tried several times to take "progressive" out of the wiki entry. The powers that be didn't like that one bit!

To me a great band that did keep experimenting until the end, but not in a prog way after 198_. (enter 0,1 or 2 as you wish)

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    In no particular order:
    Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
    Good one

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Reach the Beach - The Fixx
    Seriously?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This list was from the same issue that listed the 10 greatest attributes of Donald Trump.
    Hey now, don't get political - the moderator might boot you fot being sarcastic about that ignorant narcissistic authorarian fascist pig that is now the biggest threat to national and international security.

Three I would recommend from this era:

Rousseau--Retreat
    Jean Pascal Boffo--Carillons
    Isildurs Bane--Cheval

It's hardly about 'avant' versus 'non-avant'. Progressive rock was by definition in one way or another forward-moving music, and this mofo list reflects that down to a maggot's pubic hair. You're not moving forward by adding a vocoder or having the odd sections with a damn drummachine for the sheer imagined "art" of it. In the 80s you'd have New Romantic and post/art-punk artists making music that was more formally accomplished than most of the titles on this roster.

We've had several threads in here not only arguing but documenting how incredibly versatile and exciting the 80s were for progressive rock music (and I'm pointing to names advancing directly on the achievements of the 70s, not only latecomers or post-punk diversions), alas *some* of the so-called "prog" folks followed heel by still posing that it wasn't - although they knew turd about the names in question and didn't bother to acquaint themselves with it and arguably wouldn't have made sense of it if they did.

It was NEVER about 'avant/RIO (blah-blah)' against the 'sympho'; 95% of adherents to former setting know the lot about the latter, while 95% of the latter know dick about the former.

Progressive rock happened and happens internationally. If this doesn't enter the skulls of the wonderful Prog Mag staff folks any time soon, then let Nick Shilton and the possy run a chain of hot dog stands instead (and that's an honourable job, seriously). They are supposed to communicate information as to real events, tendencies, developments, structures and processes, yet these people wouldn't know where to begin except for the anomalies of every 10th writer (like Sid Smith).

World Trade. Yeah, right.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This list was from the same issue that listed the 10 greatest attributes of Donald Trump.
    Did that list include Discipline and Grace Under Pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Did that list include Discipline and Grace Under Pressure?
    Nah, only Fly By Night and Caress of Blue Steel...
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    How much more vanilla could this be? And the answer is none. None more vanilla.
    Well outside Brother Where You Bound and to a much lesser extent ELPowell, the rest is indeed dreck and shows the shallowness if the knowledge of the writer... (and Script is much better than Misplaced Childhood, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    No Bacamarte - "Depois Do Fim?"
    or any AZ or UZ albums??

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Wow, worst list EVER.

Let's start by the fact that this well-known "journalist" makes a point of stating "these are the 10 best". That's pretty definitive talk. This list must be great right?!?

Even if we just stayed with this wimpy-ass big-5 laden thought process, let's consider that 1980 is ignored, which had Yes-Drama, Genesis-Duke, Jethro Tull-A. But the grand omission here, given the context, is King Crimson's Discipline. To me, this omission says the most about the limitations of the list maker.
    Yes, but we're talking of that fairly dreadful "prog" mag.

'nuff said
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Aaarrrgggh why did I even click on this thread, I never learn? A hideous list of very little merit, I cannot even be bothered to start to list the omissions, I refuse to be drawn into this web!
    Yup...

I was going to make my own list but will abstain... Cozy and a few others wrote down cool list, though I would add an Art Zoyd album and a News From babel one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    essential to get rid of.
    I will save the Supetramp album before getting rid of the baby and the bath waters , though

This, start with Univers Zero.
    As I said, I'd add a AZ and a NFB album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Deyss' At King came out in '85, IIRC. Nick Shilton would without doubt have included that before even managing to listen to sixteen seconds of Univers Zero, eleven of Art Bears or four of Shub-Niggurath. After all, none of these worked from the logical premise that Foxtrot is and should remain the greatest musical achievement in the history of man and so the work which gets the closest in appearance makes out the second best.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM