Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cat Stevens : "A Cat's Attic: 50th Anniversary Tour"

Someone should copy a link to the Youtube video where he's on a discussion panel on British TV and he comments about Rushdie burning for real instead of in effigy. He seems quite serious. I'm on my Kindle and can't copy links.

Well, I won't copy that one since that's bound to get this thread closed sooner rather than later. Instead, try this WONDERFUL 1971 concert he did in Los Angeles.

I stand by my use of the words "youthful indiscretion." Please don't equate age with maturity or wisdom.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Well, I won't copy that one since that's bound to get this thread closed sooner rather than later. Instead, try this WONDERFUL 1971 concert he did in Los Angeles.

Thanks for that, indeed WONDERFUL! .
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Only for the blind. And as a fellow Liberal, I'm disgusted by the the viewpoint that you've hinted at, and has in a wider way been expressed by the Democratic party and Liberal media outlets. What's Liberal in 2016 sure ain't what was Liberal in the 70s, and I find myself more and more outside the current Democratic mainstream. Not that the whackos in the Republican Party would be an acceptable alternative.
    While I agree with the death of true liberalism in mainstream politics, I was merely distinguishing that reasons are not the same as excuses. There was no other underlying point I was trying to make. As a parent, I continually find myself compelled to point out the differences.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    While I agree with the death of true liberalism in mainstream politics, I was merely distinguishing that reasons are not the same as excuses. There was no other underlying point I was trying to make. As a parent, I continually find myself compelled to point out the differences.
    OK, thanks. I misunderstood you. I probably shouldn't have written what I did anyway, as it's getting into the politics/religion weeds that are outside the scope of the forum, so, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    OK, thanks. I misunderstood you. I probably shouldn't have written what I did anyway, as it's getting into the politics/religion weeds that are outside the scope of the forum, so, my apologies.
    No need to apologize. We're on the same page here.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, I won't copy that one since that's bound to get this thread closed sooner rather than later.
    This thread has been treading (and not lightly) on being closed. Hopefully it will stay open until the shows begin/finish. Only a month to go!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    He can take his ticket prices and shove them up his ass. Just like Gilmour's prices. What a joke!!!!
    At least he's trying hard to retain some profit as he tries to stop scalpers with a strict anti-scalping policy. Stubhub is not allowing listings for his shows. And tix ranging from $100-300 (before fee$$$) are not uncommon these days; except of course he is playing solo, whereas someone like Gilmour has a big band, incredible laser/light/video show along with the finest audio anywhere. These artists are charging more because there are plenty of folks willing to pay and also feel if they sell seats for $50-, then scalpers re-sell for $500+, why shouldn't they get that $500+? Bands like Phish or Pearl Jam among others have all tickets priced at under $80 iirc, but, as fan friendly as they try to make the on-sales, scalpers still get their hold on them and charge much higher prices. Also putting in perspective is the fact that many artists who have been around for decades no longer make as much money as they should due to the internet being a place where their material is up/downloaded illegally for free.
    So what if they're million or even billionaires. It's their money and they have a right to reap the rewards of their art. Now don't me started on ARW tickets that are $500 - $750 though...but still, I'd rather see the artist get that money than the scalpers.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

If the market will bear it, there's no sound business reason to charge less.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It has to be something of a balancing act for him, too, considering that he's bound to be scrutinized by quite a few adherents of his adopted faith let alone those who knew him as Cat Stevens. He very probably wasn't considering all of the ramifications of this when he first spoke.
    I had a good friend from high school, and when he was in college he became a WAY Born-Again Christian. He was a very smart guy (majoring in physics and math), so he could talk your ear off about Christ, etc. It really freaked out his parents.

Anyway, after a couple of years of this, I remember thinking "I'll bet he regrets this whole thing, but he bought into it so fully and intensely that it's probably hard for him to back out of it and keep his dignity." I see his posts on Facebook occasionally, and it's hard to tell if he's still "born again" or not.

But that is the main thing that's always kept me atheist - if I ever went for any religion, and later changed my mind, it'd be hard to say "uhh, I might have been wrong about that." I mean, there's nothing wrong with being wrong about something, but if it involved years of a lot of rituals, prayers, etc. I'd kind of feel like I wasted a lot of time and energy on something I changed my mind about. "Dammit, I could have been eating shellfish for YEARS!!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "I'm being followed by a Jihadist, Jihadist, Jihadist..."

One can still share the same moral values as any god-fearing person without sharing the same spiritual beliefs.

Cool concert of Cat in his prime.
    His guitarist, Alun Davies, put out a pretty good album in 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    One can still share the same moral values as any god-fearing person without sharing the same spiritual beliefs.
    +1.

I'd like to consider myself a humanist & an anti-theist, thanks to Christopher Hitchens.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    +1.

I'd like to consider myself a humanist & an anti-theist, thanks to Christopher Hitchens.
    Myself as well though it was due to years of searching and the influence of numerous other thinkers and writers besides CH. As a matter of fact, I'm currently listening to two of Christopher Hitchens' audiobooks off and on: Hitch 22, his memoir, and Arguably, a large collection of essays on sundry topics that he'd published in Vanity Fair over the course of ten or more years. He was extremely erudite and definitely had a way with words, and while I don't agree with everything he said or did, I appreciate that in every issue or topic he chose to engage, he was always "his own man" who thought for himself and didn't follow trends.

As for that Cat Stevens video, I tried to locate the complete BBC show he did the same year, but it seems to have been taken down from YT. It's essentially the same lineup but with quite a few more songs (and much better sound).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But that is the main thing that's always kept me atheist - if I ever went for any religion, and later changed my mind, it'd be hard to say "uhh, I might have been wrong about that." I mean, there's nothing wrong with being wrong about something, but if it involved years of a lot of rituals, prayers, etc. I'd kind of feel like I wasted a lot of time and energy on something I changed my mind about. "Dammit, I could have been eating shellfish for YEARS!!"
    It's that kind of rational logical thinking that'll ALWAYS keep you an atheist.

For those interested, here's the Wikipedia page that succinctly lays out the controversy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_St...Salman_Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It's that kind of rational logical thinking that'll ALWAYS keep you an atheist.

RLT is essential for our living today, and great for exact science, but not for Arts.

EDIT: The real geniuses could master RLT without impacting their intuiton.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 08-23-2016 at 05:30 AM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

For those interested, here's the Wikipedia page that succinctly lays out the controversy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_St...Salman_Rushdie
    Thanks, it couldn't miss on this thread.