Thread: CD-R problem

CD-R problem

My dad got 2 CD-R's someone burned from old 78s. His CD-players didn't play those and gave the message: "Disc not finalised". At my CD-player there wasn't a problem. I transfered the CD-R's to the computer and burned them on other CD-R's. One was accepted by my dad's CD-players, but the other one sometimes gives the message: "Disc not finalised" on one player and it doesn't play at all on another CD-player. I did some work on one of the tracks, before I burned the CD-R.

My dad is wondering why these problems turn up and I don't know and get a bit annoyed by his questions, I don't have an answer on.

Since the problem persisted when you created all-new burns, it sounds like the problem is with your dad's players, not the discs. Some CD players just don't handle CD-Rs well. Up until a few years ago, I was using a very old Sony CD player that almost never played CD-Rs without crackling and mistracking.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    It is the player. I have some cd-r's that play in only some of my players. The players they don't play in, may display the message you saw: "Disc not finalized." But you know it's not true. If the disc were not finalized, it wouldn't play in any player, and would probably have been recognized as faulty on the machine that burned it.

CD-Rs will often not play correctly in older DVD players, either. For CD players, age of the CD player does not seem always to be the problem. Also, many CD players claim they will play CD-Rs, but they won't. In the US, manufacturers are apparently allowed to make false claims about their products.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I thought it was the player, or rather the players, because my dad has 3 of them, one in every room, exept the bedroom.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

If you father's audio CD player is incapable of reading CD-R/W discs, it is not a modern and should be replaced. For a while, the "Multi-Read" logo was used to show compatibility with CD, CD-R, and CD-R/W media.

CD-R media -- and especially CD-R/W media -- is not as reflective as factory-pressed CDs. So, older audio CD players can have problems with CD-R discs. Older audio CD players may also have problems with 80 minute media.