Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me catch up on Dream Theater...

Dream Theater is playing near me in a couple weeks and I have been considering going. I have not heard the latest album, but thought seeing them live might be entertaining enough that even if the music isn't that great it could still be a good time. So...kind of ambivalent on the whole thing after reading the commentary here about the newest album.

What I find odd is that they are playing a 1400-capacity venue....with seats (the one important factor in even considering this for a single moment). Is it just me (and this one show) or are they having a hard time filling the venues they normally would?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Dream Theater is playing near me in a couple weeks and I have been considering going. I have not heard the latest album, but thought seeing them live might be entertaining enough that even if the music isn't that great it could still be a good time. So...kind of ambivalent on the whole thing after reading the commentary here about the newest album.
    Dream Theater are one of the few bands that I like that I've never actually wanted to see live. Too many notes, too much of an experience akin to having your head repeatedly smashed against a wall for me. Call me old-fashioned, but I like my music to breathe a bit, which given my experience of DT's live albums and dvds seems to be a quality that entirely escapes them on stage. On the current tour, moreover, the fact that they're playing nothing but the new album in full would guarantee my non-attendance; why on earth would I pay good money to personally sit through music I actually find more than a little embarrassing in its utter awfulness? Of course, ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Dream Theater are one of the few bands that I like that I've never actually wanted to see live. Too many notes, too much of an experience akin to having your head repeatedly smashed against a wall for me. Call me old-fashioned, but I like my music to breathe a bit, which given my experience of DT's live albums and dvds seems to be a quality that entirely escapes them on stage. On the current tour, moreover, the fact that they're playing nothing but the new album in full would guarantee my non-attendance; why on earth would I pay good money to personally sit through music I actually find more than a little embarrassing in its utter awfulness? Of course, ymmv.
    I'm willing because I'm not yet fully aware of the level of embarrassing-ness, having not heard the album.
    <sig out of order>

Here's a link that probably doesn't help (but I found it hilarious.)

http://www.invisibleorang...er-in-the-mangini-era/

That said, I have tickets to see them in about 2 weeks.

I think the new album is a masterpiece...or at least it would be if the lyrics were much better. I'm still having trouble with them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    (...)

I think the new album is a masterpiece... (...)
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

What I find odd is that they are playing a 1400-capacity venue....with seats (the one important factor in even considering this for a single moment). Is it just me (and this one show) or are they having a hard time filling the venues they normally would?
    I am seeing them in a 2400 seat venue in a few weeks. I have no clue if it is sold out or not at this point. I would think playing nothing but the new album would be a hard sell from a drawing power perspective. Hard core fans will probably dig it, but the more casual DT fan might not be as inclined to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    How is it not practical to stream and use spotify???

Having little extra cash makes it important that you do stream and listen before purchasing...

Good luck finding some solid advice that will completely match your expectations of the disc...

BTW... Using google for information is so much different than actually sampling your purchase before hand...
    Posts like this are a major reason why I rarely participate on PE anymore.
    David J. Wimer, author of The Seatopia Trilogy

Here's my 2 cents as I saw Dream Theater on the Astonishing tour back in April.

I used to be a die hard Dream Theater fan and I've seen them in concert close to 50 times, but to me they started falling apart around Systematic Chaos and haven't really recovered. I sort of liked A Dramatic Turn of Events and I enjoyed the tour but I can't stand the self-titled album and I really, really can't stand The Astonishing.

I wasn't going to see the Astonishing tour because I hate the album so much and I knew they were doing the entire thing, but I played Scenes From a Memory in the car and my wife loved it and started getting into DT as a result - so we decided to see the show. We both hated the concert and were bored out of our minds because the new material is so weak (and it really ticked me off how they didn't do even one single older song for an encore). The only track on the new album that I like is "A New Beginning" and that was one of the few highlights, but we both almost fell asleep - and you should never be on the verge of falling asleep at a DT concert. After the show she turned to me in the car and said she can't believe it was the same band that made Scenes From a Memory.

I lost interest in Dream Theater that night and likely won't get back on board until they get old and start doing nostalgia tours, or if Portnoy rejoins (which is extremely unlikely).
    David J. Wimer, author of The Seatopia Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Freud View Post
    I can't stand the self-titled album
    OK, just curious. As someone who thinks the self-titled album is a big improvement over "Turn of Events," why can't you stand it? Not being confrontational or anything, like I said, just curious. I thought it was a real step up.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I am a DT fan up through "Octavarian". They lost me after that.

On a whim, I bought "The Astonishing".

All I can say is, I am glad that Amoeba Records has a policy, that any CD you buy there, can be returned for 75% credit within a week.

I was only able to get through it once. I tried a couple of times.

No question, they were always a bit cheesy and over the top, but "The Astonishing" is like all their worst aspects turned up to 11, and their best aspects lost several albums ago.

Life is too short, and there is way too much really good prog-metal being released, for "The Astonishing".
    Last edited by simon moon; 09-26-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am a DT fan up through "Octavarian". They lost me after that.
    Half of Octavarian was excellent! That was my end point as well.

Posts like this are a major reason why I rarely participate on PE anymore.
    Just out of interest, what is it that you find so objectionable about this post? Seems to me it's a sensible use of the available technology to try before you buy, especially if, as the OP says, money is tight. At least they're not just ripping off the album and not paying for it at all. Moreover, given the incredibly patchy nature of DT's output over the last decade, such a strategy seems eminently sensible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would think playing nothing but the new album would be a hard sell from a drawing power perspective. Hard core fans will probably dig it, but the more casual DT fan might not be as inclined to go.
    I thought the opposite (and I figured the DT guys probably would too). It's exactly the kind of band and audience that would go for this kind of thing. You may be right about the casual fans--I wouldn't be going if I'd had to buy a ticket--but they're probably counting a big draw for the hardcore ones precisely because of presenting a single new work, Lamb-style.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Half of Octavarian was excellent!
    The middle half?

Just out of interest, what is it that you find so objectionable about this post?
    Speaking for myself, I didn't find it objectionable, just annoying and unhelpful. Those kind of posts wouldn't be a reason not to participate, though, not as long as most folks are engaging.
    Last edited by Spiral; 09-27-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Dream Theater are one of the few bands that I like that I've never actually wanted to see live. Too many notes...........
    To quote Amadeus --- "That's absurd !"

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post

The middle half?
    I should have said a third. Without counting up songs or minutes:

Images and Words 100%
    Awake 80%
    Falling Into Infinity 90%
    Scenes From a Memory 40%
    6DoIT 40%
    Train of Thought 20%
    Octavarium 30%

For those of you seeing Dream theater for the first time on this tour - all you need to listen to is The Astonishing, cause that's all they're playing. Which is probably why i passed on this tour - I'm afraid I found this album boring. (Sorry - not a hate post, but just being honest - have liked something in every other album, but after two plays all the way through, I felt truly bored.)

If you wait for the next tour, it might be more akin to a traditional DT gig, in which case you might want to try the following as a starting point:

Images and Words
    Awake
    Octavarium

Jeff Wagner's Mean Deviation book highlighted these as the DT albums worth further listening (as part of a wider selection of prog-metal bands), and I think that's as good a guide as anything really. (I subsequently dug into all his other recommended bands, and so far have liked what I've heard, even if I had a few WTF moments on first listen...)

If you enjoy these three albums, then really, any of the others will have something on them to enjoy. They haven't really strayed too far from the template over the course of 13 albums, which is why I eventually drifted into the more challenging stuff in JW's list.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    +1
    I think the new album is a masterpiece...or at least it would be if the lyrics were much better. I'm still having trouble with them.

Here's my 2 cents as I saw Dream Theater on the Astonishing tour back in April.

I used to be a die hard Dream Theater fan and I've seen them in concert close to 50 times, but to me they started falling apart around Systematic Chaos and haven't really recovered. I sort of liked A Dramatic Turn of Events and I enjoyed the tour but I can't stand the self-titled album and I really, really can't stand The Astonishing.

I wasn't going to see the Astonishing tour because I hate the album so much and I knew they were doing the entire thing, but I played Scenes From a Memory in the car and my wife loved it and started getting into DT as a result - so we decided to see the show. We both hated the concert and were bored out of our minds because the new material is so weak (and it really ticked me off how they didn't do even one single older song for an encore). The only track on the new album that I like is "A New Beginning" and that was one of the few highlights, but we both almost fell asleep - and you should never be on the verge of falling asleep at a DT concert. After the show she turned to me in the car and said she can't believe it was the same band that made Scenes From a Memory.

I lost interest in Dream Theater that night and likely won't get back on board until they get old and start doing nostalgia tours, or if Portnoy rejoins (which is extremely unlikely).
    They're already "old" .....for the music they are playing anyway.

The high water mark was the Score concert. For me there was no way to top that. No encore. It was like when Daffy Duck was trying to upstage Bugs Bunny and blew himself up.

It can only be done once. I thought they were great on the followup Chaos tour (although I really don't like the album) and really they've been just a good or better since then. It's a well-oiled machine now and they I think play as well as they ever have. The Ashonishing could have been a great album with some worthy lyrics, but even that's not going to keep me from seeing this band live.

I'm just happy that this inspires them to push the envelope a little more. It's really easy to play it safe in their position since they have still have a sustainable audience.

I must confess that the track Change of Season is still my favourite..but then I haven't really heard anything since 2000... Give me some album to start with, please...

^ A Dramatic Turn Of Events - fantastic album with both great songs and melodies combined with some jaw dropping instrumental fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ^ A Dramatic Turn Of Events - fantastic album with both great songs and melodies combined with some jaw dropping instrumental fireworks.
    Agreed. That was the last one of theirs that grabbed me, and it really, really grabbed me (rip-off of Images & Words though it may be).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am seeing them in a 2400 seat venue in a few weeks. I have no clue if it is sold out or not at this point. I would think playing nothing but the new album would be a hard sell from a drawing power perspective. Hard core fans will probably dig it, but the more casual DT fan might not be as inclined to go.
    It's weird, the first leg didn't sell great. I was assuming they would quietly put it to rest and move on. Instead, they've doubled down, extended the tour, and seem to be playing smaller places. Business wise I really don't get it. Personally I'm thrilled, it's one of my favorite DT CDs and I can't wait to see it live again. I was able to get (almost) front row tickets weeks into sales though

Just out of interest, what is it that you find so objectionable about this post? Seems to me it's a sensible use of the available technology to try before you buy, especially if, as the OP says, money is tight. At least they're not just ripping off the album and not paying for it at all. Moreover, given the incredibly patchy nature of DT's output over the last decade, such a strategy seems eminently sensible to me.
    Looks like a post like yours also scared her a way...

Sensibility with people sometimes doesn't work...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    Looks like a post like yours also scared her a way...

Sensibility with people sometimes doesn't work...
    Not sure I understand your point- I was genuinely curious and asking in a spirit of friendly inquiry. If I was in any way offensive I would of course apologise, but I don't see how what I wrote could be construed in that fashion.

I am ready to move on from Their latest album. I was interested for a while, but its not lasting with me. I'm going back to Dramatic Turn and Octavarium, and less interest in the new album. It exausts me, but not in a way that I enjoy.