Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Miles Davis. Miles Davis. Miles Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Any admiration to Water Babies? I love this dearly. Compositions mostly Shorter's, the absolute gems are title track and "Two Faced"..
    The first half of the album from the Nefertiti era is very nice. The second half I find to be a not very successful Silent Way warmup session, but I've read comments from other people who like it.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was wondering if we could be expecting any more releases in the near future and came across this.

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/mdNews.aspx

Bootleg Series #6: Miles Davis and John Coltrane (September 2, 2017)
    The next installment in the Miles Davis Bootleg Series will be released in February 2018. I don't know the title, but it will contain the first three extant recordings from the Quintet's spring 1960 European tour with Norman Granz' Jazz at the Philharmonic: Paris, March 21, Stockholm, March 22, and Copenhagen, March 24.

Think those have had legit issues on small labels in Europe but never a widespread, Columbia release.

This would be exciting if there were recordings from dates which have currently not seen the light of day being made available - but, the Stockholm date, for instance, is not only reasonably widely available, it's also a superb recording (the recording quality of the dates from the tour available certainly varies...)

The spring 1960 tour with Coltrane was incredible. Surprised Columbia didn't release these shows sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The spring 1960 tour with Coltrane was incredible.
    For me, the most significant body of work by the most significant jazz band.

Captured at the extraordinary moment when they were were on the cusp of im/exploding under the pressure of their creative force.

I got an e-mail that the metal spine boxes are available again for a limited time.
    Speculation elsewhere is that they broke open the unsold Genius Of boxes and put the remaining stock up for sale, but the prices are reasonable, in some cases probably less than what they were selling for when first released:

https://www.milesdavisstore.com/dept..._100075_100234

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I got an e-mail that the metal spine boxes are available again for a limited time.
    Speculation elsewhere is that they broke open the unsold Genius Of boxes and put the remaining stock up for sale, but the prices are reasonable, in some cases probably less than what they were selling for when first released:

https://www.milesdavisstore.com/dept..._100075_100234
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to try and grab a cuople of those if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I'm almost tempted to re-buy the Coltrane one because it's the only one that I don't have in the metal spine format.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Thanks for posting that link. I grabbed the Complete On The Corner Sessions box... even with shipping (which was surprisingly cheap, even for standard) and currency conversion, it was reasonable compared to what I've seen it listed for in the past. I've got three of the other boxes in the tall book format, but this will be my first metal box, it looks like a real beaut from what I've seen elsewhere!

Hope it doesn't take forever, but at least it's something to look forward to...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Thanks for posting that link. I grabbed the Complete On The Corner Sessions box... even with shipping (which was surprisingly cheap, even for standard) and currency conversion, it was reasonable compared to what I've seen it listed for in the past. I've got three of the other boxes in the tall book format, but this will be my first metal box, it looks like a real beaut from what I've seen elsewhere!

yeah, I need to get that one and the Jack Johnson set. Well, I also need the other boxes too (other than the Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way sets), but those two are the ones I'm really after at the moment, especially the Jack Johnson deal.

Well, this was supposed to ship on May 1st. It's now May 6th and there's been no movement, nor a response to the two e-mail inquiries I sent. Awesome.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, this was supposed to ship on May 1st. It's now May 6th and there's been no movement, nor a response to the two e-mail inquiries I sent. Awesome.
    I noticed that. Unfortunately, the job I thought I was gonna start next week may not be happening (or at least not happening as soon as I thought), so buying anything right now is advisable.

On the Steve Hoffman forum I read someone saying that a customer service rep (Music Today?) told him they would ship May 6.

On the Steve Hoffman forum I read someone saying that a customer service rep (Music Today?) told him they would ship May 6.
    Well that's today, and I've just checked, and no dice. But thanks for that report! I'm going to go check out the thread if I can find it, out of curiosity.

Sigh. It seems awfully unorganized to me. Oh well, thanks for that link, much appreciated!

... and now it's June 3rd. All e-mails have been completely ignored, no explanation, no idea how many more times they're going to delay it. They said it was shipping on May 1st, and took my money. Apparently this "you'll get it when we feel like it" business practice is the new normal.

What I want to know is when Columbia will release some more '73-'75 stuff. I want to hear more shows with absurd breakbeats and guitars that sound like asteroids hitting cities.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    '73 - '75 stuff.
    Currently reading Phil Freeman's book; some interesting doings to be sure.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Yeah, the original metal spine boxset was awesome (though I wasn't into Blaxploitation artworks back then), though I did pass on it. At the time, I wasn't crazy about my BB steelback set, though I fully enjoy it after I unearthed this.
    Maybe I'll try to grab one up. Also thinking of IASW and TtJJ boxsets.

... and now it's June 3rd. All e-mails have been completely ignored, no explanation, no idea how many more times they're going to delay it. They said it was shipping on May 1st, and took my money. Apparently this "you'll get it when we feel like it" business practice is the new normal.
    And I don't think sending it across the ocean will be easier.
    Last edited by Trane; 06-27-2020 at 12:54 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My On The Corner Sessions box arrived today. It's a thing of beauty for sure, and although I was surprised it was only packed with crumpled paper protecting it in the box, it's in pristine condition without a ding or scrape to be found. Pretty sweet to get this at original list price, and I notice from looking at the store that it is sold out again, so looks like it really is finally out of print now.

Monday will be two months since I placed my order, so that part I wasn't thrilled with. But I can't gripe about anything else, this is a beauty addition to my collection!

My On The Corner Sessions box arrived today. It's a thing of beauty for sure, and although I was surprised it was only packed with crumpled paper protecting it in the box, it's in pristine condition without a ding or scrape to be found. Pretty sweet to get this at original list price, and I notice from looking at the store that it is sold out again, so looks like it really is finally out of print now.
    Glad you got it!

On the Corner always is associated in my mind with a lengthy essay about Miles by Lester Bangs that I read in the mid-'70s, before I knew much of Miles's work. Bangs was utterly scathing about that album and Agharta (which had just been released), but in a way that really made me want to hear them. My instincts were correct.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

To me, the extra stuff in the OTC box is better than the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Glad you got it!

On the Corner always is associated in my mind with a lengthy essay about Miles by Lester Bangs that I read in the mid-'70s, before I knew much of Miles's work. Bangs was utterly scathing about that album and Agharta (which had just been released), but in a way that really made me want to hear them. My instincts were correct.
    Lester did a follow-up review years later where he changes his original opinion:

https://extendplay.wordpress.com/tag/lester-bangs/

"Two that really stand out to me are his essays on Miles Davis’ electric albums. The first, written in the wake of Davis’ 1973 album On The Corner, captures the prevailing mood towards that album in the mid-70s: it was a sellout at best, a strange and failed experiment at worst. Bangs goes after him, stretching back several albums to Miles in the Sky, and experiencing a Davis gig in New York, trying to sort out what he calls the cancer in the music and slamming Davis for playing with his back to audience.

The second, published around the time Bangs died, takes a nuanced look at Davis’ electric period as the musician reemerged from a self-imposed retirement. By this time, Bangs has caught up to the album: listen to On the Corner while watching people move on the sidewalk, he writes, and feel the inherent energy, the vibrating rhythms both have in common. He was the rare critic who admits to his mistakes, to when he was wrong: he was part of the crowd that trashed Davis in the mid 70s, the chorus of voices who followed him into a retirement, but he was also among the first who came to meet those albums on their terms and realize how groundbreaking they were, too."