Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Age of Content Overload on Music and other media

Music used to be a destination, and now it's just background noise. This is not my world.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    When I moved to the mountains last year I decided to give up TV and I haven't missed it a bit. I have no need to hear about the carjacking in Long Beach or the murder-suicide in West Covina or any of that bullshit.etc). I don't miss network TV in the slightest and to think of what I was paying! I'm saving money and my sanity.
    I so agree with this. I gave up on news, when I left the TV network news that I was working at, and I have not missed hearing about China Floods, Double-Homicides, or Weekend Stabbings one bit. It has been cleansing to not know, actually. It lets me focus on what I can do to better myself, and be better at helping others.

Some people ask me how I can not know what is going on in the world, but it really doesn't change much. There are bad people out there. Me hearing about the details every day, changes nothing. The funniest incident, was when somebody actually got irritated with me, because I had no knowledge whatsoever, of Bill Cosby being charged with something, or other. And I just told them, 'why does anyone need to know this? So we can talk about it at a water cooler, or a cocktail party?!' Nobody NEEDS to know that.

Saving money and sanity. Yes, absolutely.

neil

I pretty much agree with everything in the original post.

Some upsides:

1. There are endless avenues for entertainment. Yes it can get overwhelming, but the choice is totally cool.
    2. Social media is an incredible way to keep up with friends who live in other parts of the country and even the world.
    3. I think we are living in the golden age of television (especially drama). With some of the programs on HBO, AMC, and other networks the best television has greatly surpassed movies for quality. I find very few movies that blow me away anymore, but the last 10 years have produced some of the best TV in the history of the medium.

Some downsides:

1. I still buy CD’s. I do have a MP3 player, but everything I have on it comes from the CD’s I own.
    2. There is just too much to do. Entertainment options are so available a varied that there is no way you can do it all.
    3. I waste a lot of time online. Although I still enjoy reading I do a lot less of it than I used to mainly because I am online during much of the time that I used to read. Probably not a good thing. I have become a bit of a social media junkie. Never thought it would happen, but it has.
    4. I am never off work anymore. I have a job where I have to carry a smartphone 24 / 7 even when I am on vacation, so I am never really off the job and unavailable. I get paid well for what I do, and it is part of the job, but it is certainly different from what it used to be.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll
    Once the music gets home it is stored on a NAS and streamed around the house.
    You have your own Naval Air Station? Cool!
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The world has changed and will no doubt continue to do so. Every generation gets used to what it knows and expects it. As far as we've come like the OP originally posted, I've heard it put forth that our civilization has actually been hijacked for about 100 years, starting around Tesla's time. We should be in a Star Trek universe by now. Antigrav vehicles, free energy, star gate portals and matter transporters, etc. orangesmilewinkgrin.gif But more closer to home and in our current Stardate 94212.05 (http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/stardate.php), it looks like my independent brick and mortar is about to close its doors after almost 30 years of business. I've seen it steadily go down in stock over the past 6 or 7 years. They pretty much use to have everything and would surprise me when I would find something obscure that I never thought they would carry. It's a disappointment to me personally and I'll be sad to see it go. I'm not much of a downloader unless there is no other way to get the physical media. Thanks to Steve F, Ken G and others for continuing to supply us!

What continues to amaze me in this age of content overload is how many content providers, tech giants, and old school media empires still haven't figured this whole thing out. We've long observed how the music industry was devastated by the Internet and still can't seem to get its collective shit together (other than independent players like Bandcamp). But movie and TV studios are still struggling to comprehend a world in which people no longer buy DVDs, cut the cord to cable and broadcast TV, and pirate whatever cannot be streamed. They throw up paywalls where they should be streaming for free (Hulu is about to stop offering free content, CBS is going to put their new Star Trek series behind a monthly subscription paywall, both are doomed to fail). They restrict what movies are available for streaming thinking it will increase DVD sales but instead the consumers just move on to something else or just pirate it. Ever tried to stream the movie Ant Man with Paul Rudd? I have. You can't. The studio wants you to pay the price of a DVD to see it on Amazon. Even if you have Amazon Prime. And there it sits, lost in the wave of other similar content that is free or available for a minimal price.

I got my wife a new DVD player for our bedroom. It's a little Samsung and it was on sale on Prime Day for sixty bucks. 95% of its usage is for her streaming her shitty two star horror movies from Netflix. But Samsung has such a clumsy interface it often ends up with my wife screaming for me to come into the bedroom and explain "why doesn't this fucking thing work NOW?" And it's all because the Samsung interface is quite inferior and clumsy compared to the one in our living room on the Panasonic plasma. These companies suck at figuring this stuff out. It's not rocket science but they fail all the time.

I don't see any signs of improvement in this area in the future.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Lately I've really cut back on buying media, for I have enough music for three lifetimes.
    I agree for the most part. I have more music than I can listen to, more books than I can read and TV/movie choices that I have no real time to watch. There's enough content now to last the rest of my life. On occasion, I'll purchase an album from Bandcamp (download only), but usually it's because it's recommended by a woman twenty years my junior who I'm looking to have sex with. Priorities.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    What continues to amaze me in this age of content overload is how many content providers, tech giants, and old school media empires still haven't figured this whole thing out. We've long observed how the music industry was devastated by the Internet and still can't seem to get its collective shit together (other than independent players like Bandcamp). But movie and TV studios are still struggling to comprehend a world in which people no longer buy DVDs, cut the cord to cable and broadcast TV, and pirate whatever cannot be streamed. They throw up paywalls where they should be streaming for free (Hulu is about to stop offering free content, CBS is going to put their new Star Trek series behind a monthly subscription paywall, both are doomed to fail). They restrict what movies are available for streaming thinking it will increase DVD sales but instead the consumers just move on to something else or just pirate it. Ever tried to stream the movie Ant Man with Paul Rudd? I have. You can't. The studio wants you to pay the price of a DVD to see it on Amazon. Even if you have Amazon Prime. And there it sits, lost in the wave of other similar content that is free or available for a minimal price.

I got my wife a new DVD player for our bedroom. It's a little Samsung and it was on sale on Prime Day for sixty bucks. 95% of its usage is for her streaming her shitty two star horror movies from Netflix. But Samsung has such a clumsy interface it often ends up with my wife screaming for me to come into the bedroom and explain "why doesn't this fucking thing work NOW?" And it's all because the Samsung interface is quite inferior and clumsy compared to the one in our living room on the Panasonic plasma. These companies suck at figuring this stuff out. It's not rocket science but they fail all the time.

I don't see any signs of improvement in this area in the future.
    This is definitely a concern. I hadn't watched broadcast tv or cable in years and then Netflix showed up and I have to agree that some of the best programs I've encountered have been because I can watch Netflix. I'm obviously a big Trek fan and am looking forward to Star Trek: Discovery but will not be paying CBS one cent. I will wait for the DVDs to show up and will buy them instead.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Music used to be a destination, and now it's just background noise. This is not my world.
    I like that quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Nothing new. Music has always been used as background with other activities.

I did not know there was going to be a new Star Trek series. CBS has not advertized it here, that I have noticed. I have watched every Star Trek series since the '60s as well as every Star Trek movie except the newest one, so far. CBS is not currently a pay channel, so I don't know how they would charge for it.

I am priced out of the loop on modern media, as well as held back by the lack of decent internet speed where I live. I won't buy DVDs unless I am sure I will want to watch them more than once. I certainly won't pay $25 for one, or whatever the going rate is for new DVDs. I would rent them, but my understanding is that Netflix no longer mails out hard copy DVDs. The rental stores like Hollywood and Blockbuster are long gone. And I lack the bandwidth to stream a movie. I have asked if this town will ever have fiber optic cable, and no one will guarantee it. I sure as hell don't want to pay to stream a movie and have it stop to buffer when it gets to the good part.

Broadcast TV is mostly worthless. The cable TV companies' business ethic is deplorable. They set up monopolies so any given community will have only one "choice." Then they charge their existing and long-time customers more than their new customers. And whatever your monopoly cable company is, you won't find anyone who will say anything good about them. Their coaxial cable makes for faster internet speeds than the two little copper wires the phone company supplies for land line/internet, but either of those would be put to shame by fiber optic cable.

The internet seemed exciting to me when I first encountered it in the late '80s, but now I find it boring. It's either a time-killer or a time-waster. I don't know if it is changing for the worse, or if I am becoming jaded. It doesn't seem to have fulfilled its promise, but rather gone the lowest common denominator route. Dumbed down, like everything else.

I like the new technology, but it is expensive. Who would have thought we would so soon have the equivalent of the Star Trek communicators that were once science fiction? Smart phones are that, and more. If I ever find work again, I will get one.

So I guess I just wait for the 21st century to reach my town.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

[QUOTE=spellbound;599565 I would rent them, but my understanding is that Netflix no longer mails out hard copy DVDs. [/QUOTE]

News to me, I still regularly get them in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I would rent them, but my understanding is that Netflix no longer mails out hard copy DVDs.
    News to me, I still regularly get them in the mail.

Maybe I was misinformed. I'll look into it.

From the point of view of a broadcast radio station, we see the need for "Curation". This means relying on someone else's opinion, experience and taste to provide a guideline through the modern musical maelstrom.

This is similar to the role broadcast radio provided at the beginning of popular music, when people all over the world listened to their favorite shows and music broadcast through the atmosphere from unknown taste makers in far away locations like New York City. Pop music, Broadway Musicals, traditional and modern classical music and jazz all were made popular to the public through "Taste Makers" in radio. For better or worse, certain artists survived and others never got airplay.

I think this is still my mission as a person behind an independent non-commercial microphone each week, to sort through the hype of new music and to resurrect great art forgotten in the marketing melee.
    So find a favorite broadcast or internet radio show and use them as a guide. Yes, there's a lot out there, and we all need help sifting through it.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

So... list? I need a list of Internet radio that I can tune into. I used to tune in to Progrock Radio, but I cant find it anymore. It was great to sit in a chatroom discussing what we were listening to. Perhaps only two or three of us, but thats Okay. I think Jerjo used to be in there too... I thought that must've died out. If there is still something like that - especially prog related, I would like to know.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    When I moved to the mountains last year I decided to give up TV and I haven't missed it a bit. I have no need to hear about the carjacking in Long Beach or the murder-suicide in West Covina or any of that bullshit. I can stream live local news when necessary (like the past 2-3 days with a wildfire burning very close to where I live) but otherwise I have Netflix to keep me distracted, in addition to YouTube and whatever else is out there (PBS streams, etc). I don't miss network TV in the slightest and to think of what I was paying! I'm saving money and my sanity.
    What I would miss most on TV is cooking shows, and food shows like Bizarre Foods and Anthony Bourdain. I love watching cooking shows for some reason, though a lot of them have gotten pretty crappy. The best ones are available on DVD!

I agree cable is largely a waste and the programming causes more anxiety than anything. I really think Wi-Fi will serve now as a substitute for Cable, and then we just need Netflix and there are torrents for the movies Netflix ignores.

All digital music that I don't have on CD or LP is stored on cheap external hard drives. I just move it on and off the computer where it's always a competition for room. NOTHING gets deleted permanently (unless there's a catastrophic hard drive failure, like the one I had a few weeks ago).
    Sorry, I'm a bit late to this but I'm curious: why do you have to copy it to your computer drive? Why not just plug the external drive in and access the music from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    So... list? I need a list of Internet radio that I can tune into. I used to tune in to Progrock Radio, but I cant find it anymore. It was great to sit in a chatroom discussing what we were listening to. Perhaps only two or three of us, but thats Okay. I think Jerjo used to be in there too... I thought that must've died out. If there is still something like that - especially prog related, I would like to know.
    Try Aural Moon. It's still operating and has a chat.

www.auralmoon.com
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    Sorry, I'm a bit late to this but I'm curious: why do you have to copy it to your computer drive? Why not just plug the external drive in and access the music from there?
    This should catch you up.

The daunting task for me (besides having the time to hear it all) is storage. I spend so much time in my home office and thus the bulk of my listening is driven off my computer. And the memory limits of that device are straining. I could easily add another 500gb of tunes without blinking an eye. Not to mention another 100gb of games. So I'm often shuffling music off and on my laptop depending on my mood. Right now I'm a little heavy on jazz piano trios but that mood will pass and then I'll move some of those off to make room for my next whimsy. It'd be nice to have it all at my fingertips but that means a new computer, more dependable external drives, and an upgrade in the office system. I need new shingles on the roof and a basement renovation after that so I think it'll wait. I'll live with what I've got.

I just had two external drives go tits up a couple weeks ago. One I was able to reformat and that's now the only backup. I'd just as soon not put any strain on it until I can afford a couple new 3T drives and money is really tight right now. Those external drives just aren't built for daily use. They wear out one way or another. Solid state drives are ridiculously expensive so I won't be going down that route.

The other issue is no matter which media player I use it freaks out when I expose it to that music folder. Just way too many ROIOs and I end up with just thousands of files classified as unknown album/unknown artist. Untangling that kind of knot would take just a freaking lot of time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah sorry. I just noticed you had already explained this to someone else. I should have continued reading!

No offense taken. These longer threads get to be a pain to sift through.

It's 3 pages lol!

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's 3 pages lol!

Dude, we're getting old. I groan and fart just getting off the couch!

Doesn't this quote say something about the subject matter of this thread, at least in some broad meta-fashion?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin