Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ian Crichton of Saga - amazing and underrated guitarist

His later work's not so bad, either...

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    His later work's not so bad, either...

Not bad at all! Big fan of this song and album.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Not bad at all! Big fan of this song and album.
    Yeah! 10,000 Days is a great album, and this is has to be the craziest Saga tune ever

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    A very underrated and original guitarist IMO. And BTW, did he ever issued a solo record or other collaborations outside of SAGA ?
    Yes: Ghettos By Design (solo) and H3O (with band) plus a couple of collaborations.

I really like his work with Saga, but his solorecordings don't have the kind of compositions I like.

https://www.facebook.com/sagaontour/...7239112390586/

Not sure if there's already a post up here about this, but it looks like Saga's last year of touring will be 2017 (with one show at Cruise to the Edge in 2018) Very sad that this is their last year as a touring band. Nothing has been said about any future recordings or an album this year making Sagacity (2014) their final album, but 40 years is impressive!

Michael also wrote something about it on https://twitter.com/Michael_Sadler

I figured they'd call it around the 40 year mark. It's too bad they were never able to make the States a viable market.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/sagaontour/...7239112390586/

Not sure if there's already a post up here about this, but it looks like Saga's last year of touring will be 2017 (with one show at Cruise to the Edge in 2018) Very sad that this is their last year as a touring band. Nothing has been said about any future recordings or an album this year making Sagacity (2014) their final album, but 40 years is impressive!
    I read this this morning, and was also wondering about studio work. It's interesting how bands like Rush and now Saga are vague about that. They know they want to stop touring, but they seem to be unsure about studio albums. Which is fine, I just kind of wish they'd address it rather than being completely vague.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I read this this morning, and was also wondering about studio work. It's interesting how bands like Rush and now Saga are vague about that. They know they want to stop touring, but they seem to be unsure about studio albums. Which is fine, I just kind of wish they'd address it rather than being completely vague.
    I don't mind vague. With Rush, I think they are done because of Peart - and I don't blame him one bit - unless they do a small tour. They wouldn't need a huge production, either. I'd be surprised if there was not a new album in 2018 by at least Lee and Lifeson.

Saga is different in part because they kept putting out albums at a fast rate in the 2000s - eight since 2000. (I'm an odd Saga fan since I don't know much about what they did from 1987 to 1997 but think they had many great songs from 2003 to 2009. 20/20 didn't interest me much and haven't given Sagacity a fair lisetn yet.See? Weird!)

I can see Saga taking a break and writing again and maybe playing shorter tours.

Orcopian
    visits to the UK have been quite rare of late (and not particularly well attended) but I'm so glad I saw them when they played a few dates here around the time of the marathon album, that must have been 14 years ago. IVe been a big fan of the band ever since the BBC showed a rockpalast gig back I the early 80's so it was great to actually get to see them. It's a shame they will stop touring but I can understand why if it's no longer viable. I will certainly continue to by any cd's they release, they are always good.

Whether they play CTTE 2018 or not, I can say I've only seen them at sea.

Makes me sad to think of them closing the book on Saga, but it's understandable. They've been going for quite a while now, and maybe they'd like to do some other things instead. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of their music over the years, so I'm grateful to them for that.

wow, the SAGA ends....
    sad to say that the writing just isn't there anymore.
    i was disappointed in the last 3 albums.
    perhaps 10,000 Days would have been a better swan song for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    wow, the SAGA ends....
    That is indeed a great latter day Saga disc. Sagacity's pretty good, though!

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    wow, the SAGA ends....
    Interesting. I thought half of 10,000 Days was excellent but half of Human Condition was more powerful to me.

Network was their only post 1981 album where the entire thing pulled me in over time (not close to Worlds Apart, of course) , yet Saga is a band where I don't care that I only get into half of their songs per CD since those five or so are so good.

Network was their only post 1981 album where the entire thing pulled me in over time (not close to Worlds Apart, of course) , yet Saga is a band where I don't care that I only get into half of their songs per CD since those five or so are so good.
    I thought Trust was better than Network, and nearly as good as 10KD.

wow. none less than my progressive initiation rite of passage finally saying goodbye. i look back at 35 years of initial teen adulation, late adolescence and early adulthood cult appreciation and middle-age partisanship where eventual persistent enjoyment almost always persevered over the discerning doubts that crept in. don't know if there is a band that i saw more times than them and any future central european summer festival circuit with michael sadler treating every single creaky outback stage as it were wembley stadium is going to lack badly.

while i have gradually become increasingly critical of them, the fan base and their often dialectic relationship i never doubted the quality and sincerity of their recorded material, even if the live yield decreased steadily as is so often the case with bands of an advancing age. this may not be comprehensible within every territory but SAGA mattered – if you're a grumpy old western european like myself. a lot.

when the time comes an individual thread will be worthwhile. thank you and goodnight.

A superb guitar player indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    A superb guitar player indeed.
    ... and after watching a few Saga live videos on YT I noticed he's also a very accurate and perfectly timed player: never a sloppy or out of place note. A sadly underrated guitarist. Hopefully after the closing of Saga's last chapter he'll start a solo career and/or other musical collaborations.

Crap, I just Googled Saga and the top hit was this Wikipedia entry: "Saga is a Swedish white nationalist singer-songwriter..." F her!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Crap, I just Googled Saga and the top hit was this Wikipedia entry: "Saga is a Swedish white nationalist singer-songwriter..." F her!!
    She's on Discogs, too.

Interesting. I thought half of 10,000 Days was excellent but half of Human Condition was more powerful to me.

If anyone scored the 5.1 of Network could you please tell us about it?

I decided (before finding out they are packing it in mind you) to play all of my Saga cds until I reach Sagacity on my work commute and breaks.

Saga are original in that they don't sound like anyone else.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09