Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rabin reveals a few ARW details in new interview

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    So....wait. You're not a Rabin fan?

Wow. Who knew?

SO tempted to change my username to '2trevors'

I don't think this needs to be a referendum on the merits of Howe vs Rabin. Both are highly skilled. To me it's apples and oranges. Unfortunately when I am baking an apple pie, I don't wish to include oranges.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Rabin talks about his solo album with vocals as an ongoing thing, which would imply it hasn't been cannibalised for ARW.

Henry
    Yep, I caught that. If you think about his 1989 album Can't Look Away, there isn't much there that would sound in place on an 80s Yes album apart from maybe a Yesified version of "Can't Look Away".

I assumed that would be similar with his new solo album but could see that he might want to put more on the ARW album if out this year. I think it is good news that there won't be an ARW album until next year since a better chance to be a mini-classic among Yes fans*.

* (who don't hate Rabin)
    Last edited by yamishogun; 08-05-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Almost by definition, musicians that are so innovative peak early. To me, Steve Howe's genius is "early 70s" and to think about it, ending at Relayer makes sense. But hey, Einstein didn't do much innovative after his peak years (late teens and 20s) either...
    Yeah, that makes sense. And keep in mind that Close to the Edge and Relayer are two of my favorite albums of all time and I adore Howe on those early records (especially on The Yes Album). Credit where credit is due and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    SO tempted to change my username to '2trevors'
    Do it!

wait. What?
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    I don't think this needs to be a referendum on the merits of Howe vs Rabin. Both are highly skilled. To me it's apples and oranges. Unfortunately when I am baking an apple pie, I don't wish to include oranges.
    I agree. But I did want to address the question posed earlier regarding "who is this for?" And my answer led me to think about why I, a Yes fan from 1970, would choose to pay to see ARW over the current Yes. And to the fact that, while recognizing that the whole has always been greater than the sum, when taken individually Howe has never been my favorite Yesman. (It was always Squire for me, then Bruford, Wakeman, and Anderson.)

I particularly don't enjoy the steel guitar. I actively dislike "Going for the One." So a Howe-less YesWest was less anathema to me than perhaps it was to other fans.

While IMO it's juvenile to argue over questions like "which one is more Yes" or "who's a better guitarist," we can surely discuss what music satisfies and speaks to us, and what's disappointing or makes us sad. The Yes concert I saw last year made me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I agree. But I did want to address the question posed earlier regarding "who is this for?" And my answer led me to think about why I, a Yes fan from 1970, would choose to pay to see ARW over the current Yes. And to the fact that, while recognizing that the whole has always been greater than the sum, when taken individually Howe has never been my favorite Yesman. (It was always Squire for me, then Bruford, Wakeman, and Anderson.)

I particularly don't enjoy the steel guitar. I actively dislike "Going for the One." So a Howe-less YesWest was less anathema to me than perhaps it was to other fans.

While IMO it's juvenile to argue over questions like "which one is more Yes" or "who's a better guitarist," we can surely discuss what music satisfies and speaks to us, and what's disappointing or makes us sad. The Yes concert I saw last year made me sad.
    Perhaps you need to make a return visit.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Perhaps you need to make a return visit.
    I've thought about it. That was only Sherwood's second show as Chris's replacement; the venue (the Borgata in AC) was not particularly conducive; the crowd seemed particularly boorish (no surprise for a summer weekend in Atlantic City with a famous pop band opening the show). But with the only "classic" member (with White sidelined) being the one I least enjoy, and with a Squire-less Drama on the setlist, I decided to pass.

I think ultimately I'd rather hear this music played by people who, lacking the imperative of having to try to actually be Yes, can treat it like it's still alive, not sacred and carved in stone.

^I wouldn't say you 'need' to go again. To be honest the YouTube clips from this latest Yes tour haven't exactly deviated from your opinion of the early show you saw IMHO. I can't really believe there's that much mileage left now.

We will see whether ARW lives up to the hype...interesting times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    We will see whether ARW lives up to the hype...interesting times ahead.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    They won't play GFTO, or anything that features Steve Howe's pedal steel. I think the only 70s songs likely to come up for consideration (because Trevor has played them at some point in the past) are:
    You're probably right about GFTO, but AYAI has plenty of pedal steel too and Rabin's played that. Since they're likely doing material Wakeman's never played before (which covers most of YesWest), I can imagine they'd do something new for Rabin as well.

As of yesterday though, rehearsals hadn't started and the setlist was still up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I really hope that they "Wakemanize" the 80s tracks, given that they have the man himself in the group.
    Wakeman is quite familiar with the style of their planned setlist and maybe he will even throw some of his 80s solo hits into the mix:

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Wakeman is quite familiar with the style of their planned setlist and maybe he will even throw some of his 80s solo hits into the mix:

God, I hope not!!!

If they run out of material for their new album, they can always take a page from Yes and extend "I'm So Straight I'm a Weirdo" into a twenty minute suite!

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"