Thread: Recommendations for Eno ambient albums

Recommendations for Eno ambient albums

Been very interested in purchasing some of Enos ambient records. Whats a highlight? Whats a snoozer? Any thoughts???

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

My favourite has always been 'On Land'

They are all snoozers by design! but "Music for Airports" is a classic in the genre.

The Pearl was good. Music For Airports is difficult for me and I like Thursday Afternoon a lot better. Discreet Music is a good sleeper...like falling asleep in a meadow . "Index Of Metals" from Fripp & Eno Evening Star will accompany your nightmares. On Land is good!

Favorites:

Music for Airports
    Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks
    On Land
    The Shutov Assembly
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I's suggest Ambient 2: Plateaux of Mirror, Apollo, and yes, The Pearl.

The ones with Harold Budd are the best IMO.
    The one TRACK that stands out above all others is An Ending (Ascent) from the Apollo album. The rest of that album is pretty boring though.

Music For Airports is considered a classic by many experts. I think it is pretty fair, but not anywhere near as good as The Pearl and The Plateaux of Mirror with Harold Budd.

If you haven't heard any of his Ambient material, be aware it is slow and soothing. Don't expect anything like Aphex Twin or artists that produce Electronic dance music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The ones with Harold Budd are the best IMO. .

For me it's...

Top tier: Music for Airports, On Land, Apollo, Thursday Afternoon, The Pearl/The Plateaux of Mirror (w. Harold Budd), No Pussyfooting (w. Robert Fripp) and especially Fourth World: Possible Musics (w. Jon Hassell).

A step below but also good: Lux, Evening Star/Live in Paris '75 (w. Fripp), The Drop, Neroli, Cluster & Eno/After the Heat.

A step below that, take it or leave it: Discreet Music, The Equatorial Stars (w. Fripp), Drawn from Life (w. J. Peter Schwalm), Shutov Assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    The one TRACK that stands out above all others is An Ending (Ascent) from the Apollo album.
    Couldn't agree more.

The rest of that album is pretty boring though.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Good advice, Spiral

Cluster & Eno's "After the Heat" is a huge favorite of mine. It does have some magical, ambient tracks but it does have its weird moments ("Broken Head") so be advised.

EDIT: I should say, DELIGHTFULLY weird moments. For instance, "Broken Head" is one of the coolest, quirkiest vocals Eno has ever done. And THAT is saying something!
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 08-04-2016 at 01:02 PM.

I recommend you start buying them!
    His description of ambient music being music interesting enough to be listened to and unimportant enough not to be heard is effing brilliant. He's a genius. Have fun exploring!