Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ash Ra Tempel

Ash Ra Tempel

61E8JtCJ59L._SL500_SS500_.jpg
    Any thoughts on Schultz's 1 st record with the band....

Mindblowing free-form freakout extravaganza, IMHO - and possibly even surpassing The Red Crayola's Parable of Arable Land at that.

I've got the Ohr original of this, and it's a possession I truly cherish. The fact that the cover (package and artwork) is so meticulously crafted with the actual record containing such seemingly raw and arbitrary sound is of particular appeal to me - this whole deal spells "free". And I love both sides of it; the sheer and more or less spontaneous sonic trio violence of "Amboss", and then the strategic improvisational developments of "Traummaschine" - I think it works wonders. It was wonderful to note the resurgence or rather final "breakthrough" of this music's influence with Japanoise and US improv-bands during the 90s. And I guess it somehow continues to this day. I love Schwingungen as well, but I thought Join Inn was the last truly solid ART release - from there I'd jump to Ashra.

Anyone see the pic of this lineup on the inner sleeve of Schulze's X double album? One of my fave "rock band" photos ever. These guys were young, artistically cocky and liberated to the very marrow of their existence - so why not enter the stage and just play the hell out of an audience for an hour or two, no matter what you're actually performing?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Brilliant, brilliant album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like Join Inn as much as both are in the same style with the two long suites and it's the same lineup other than Rosi. Lets put it this way, i like the opening track of the S/T album better than the opener for Join Inn but of the mellower second tracks i like the one on Join Inn better. Both are must-have albums for Krautrock fans.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Any thoughts on Schultz's 1st record with the band....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm a huge fan of all things Göttsching ... except for this album and only because the production is awful. The CD sounds like a demo tape recorded with one microphone. The follow up, Schwingungen, is a vast improvement over the s/t.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I'm a huge fan of all things Göttsching ... except for this album and only because the production is awful. The CD sounds like a demo tape recorded with one microphone. The follow up, Schwingungen, is a vast improvement over the s/t.
    The CD was taken from vinyl and run through noise reduction. Not sure how well one can judge the original "production" in a case like this, but Schwingungen was done the same way and you like that, so I don't know ... maybe that one came out a bit better with that approach.

The original vinyl sounds quite good, IMO.

It is their best album IMHO...I also like Join Inn and Schwingungen and Gottsching, Manuel / Ash Ra Tempel / Ashra - "The Private Tapes Vol. 1-6"
    The rest of them are little bit hit and miss for me

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    The original vinyl sounds quite good, IMO.
    Too bad I have no turntable, then.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I like Join Inn as much as both are in the same style with the two long suites and it's the same lineup other than Rosi. Lets put it this way, i like the opening track of the S/T album better than the opener for Join Inn but of the mellower second tracks i like the one on Join Inn better. Both are must-have albums for Krautrock fans.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Too bad I have no turntable, then.
    Yes, that is too bad. Any fan of classic prog/psych should have a TT, IMO.

But the first four ART albums have been ripped to digital by one of the best vinyl rippers to ever exist. They are out there and a little searching or asking should turn them up for you. Download the first album and compare. The CD doesn't even really come close to how the album sounded.

Definitely ART's best album (and from far).... Not least because Klaus was on it...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It had an immense impact on 90s - and especially 00s - postrock.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Just had another listen....
    It's a fine couple of jams, but I think both Göttsching and Schulze went on to do a lot better than this. The Private Tapes have jams equally as interesting as this if not better.

I had it and heard it a long time ago. My stock answer is that they practically invent heavy metal on side one and new age music on side two.

Anyway, I think it's great. Some parts are full of ripping guitar leads that would make Jimi Hendrix blush while other parts are more quiet and serene but tend to gradually build. I suppose it's typically labelled "krautrock" and although I wouldn't disagree with that label I don't think it really helps much to understand the music since there's a lot going on here(hence the heavy metal and new age descriptions).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I had it and heard it a long time ago. My stock answer is that they practically invent heavy metal on side one and new age music on side two.
    I love the album but side one is basically Cream with more echo and less skill.

It is taken to different avenues and is really superb, freakout stuff, but it didn't really "invent" anything. Side 2 is much more innovative, IMO.

I love the album but side one is basically Cream with more echo and less skill. It is taken to different avenues and is really superb, freakout stuff, but it didn't really "invent" anything. Side 2 is much more innovative, IMO.
    Except that Cream were basically all of blues origin, and whilst Manuel G. most definitely had heard his share of Clapton/Beck/Page, Peter Green and their common hero Albert Lee, ART's music was almost completely devoid of any blues traces. I think the Hendrix analogy works better; according to myth, the JHE appearance at the Konzerthalle in 1968 pretty much changed the face of Berliner rock music forever. There was a great pic of Kommune 1-instigator and freak celebrity Fritz Teufel shot at that occasion.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Except that Cream were basically all of blues origin, and whilst Manuel G. most definitely had heard his share of Clapton/Beck/Page, Peter Green and their common hero Albert Lee, ART's music was almost completely devoid of any blues traces. I think the Hendrix analogy works better; according to myth, the JHE appearance at the Konzerthalle in 1968 pretty much changed the face of Berliner rock music forever. There was a great pic of Kommune 1-instigator and freak celebrity Fritz Teufel shot at that occasion.
    Nah. You can easily compare some of Cream's 20 minute live jams to side one of ART and make plenty of connections. More so than Hendrix in that there is a controlled "freakout" going on. Cream were exploring pentatonic scales in a very progressive way and ART obviously attempt to channel some of that while also taking things in their own direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ART's music was almost completely devoid of any blues traces.
    Isn't one of the tracks on Seven Up basically just a blues song?

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Isn't one of the tracks on Seven Up basically just a blues song?
    And the opener to Schwingungen is essentially an acid-blues track as well, yes you're both right - Jeff and yourself. Yet it remains quite noticeable that these boys don't really know the blues in any sense that the Anglosaxon Cream-modelled trios most definitely did (think Taste, Hot Tuna, Mountain etc.). One of the most interesting parts of "Amboss" is where Hartmut Enke either falls out or simply stops playing, and the whole drive almost collapses around Göttsching and Schulze (who are also out of time from each other and essentially on the verge of "losing it"); somehow this was something I could have anticipated on a Hendrix live album, but never from Cream. However, the opposite could be said of Guru Guru by the time of Dance of the Flames.

I was never too crazy about Seven Up or Starring Rosi.

The CD was taken from vinyl and run through noise reduction. Not sure how well one can judge the original "production" in a case like this, but Schwingungen was done the same way and you like that, so I don't know ... maybe that one came out a bit better with that approach.
    You are talking about the Spalax releases or Göttsching remasters? Never heard any as I own the vinyls...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    You are talking about the Spalax releases or Göttsching remasters? Never heard any as I own the vinyls...
    Both.

I tested out the supposed "remaster" that MG did of Seven Up, and it's taken right from the Spalax CD, with vinyl pops and clicks in the same spots, and no difference in sound that I could detect.

Unless the others are different, I think the remaster project is nothing but putting the Spalax vinyl rips back in print and being dishonest about the work which was done.

Yes, that is too bad. Any fan of classic prog/psych should have a TT, IMO.

But the first four ART albums have been ripped to digital by one of the best vinyl rippers to ever exist. They are out there and a little searching or asking should turn them up for you. Download the first album and compare. The CD doesn't even really come close to how the album sounded.
    The Spalax reissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    The Spalax reissue?
    No. Those aren't very good. They seem to have been run through some type of denoising.

The Ash Ra vinyl rips I'm talking about were out there in the "torrent" world a year or so back ... and they were done in 24/96, fwiw.