Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: Dungeon Synth

  1. #1
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006

    Dungeon Synth

    So who are the big Dungeon Synth fans here? There must be some (Jen?). Just found out about the genre, and looking at the Facebook community, artists on Bandcamp, etc. kind of nice, moody, lots of old B&W photos of castles and crumbling structures.

  2. #2
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    I'm SHOCKED no one has commented on Dungeon Synth!

  3. #3
    Traversing The Dream 100423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas City Area
    Posts
    462
    Maybe an example will help:


  4. #4
    Traversing The Dream 100423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas City Area
    Posts
    462

  5. #5
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,057
    Another made-up sub-genre? How can we possibly be expected to keep up?

  6. #6
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Another made-up sub-genre? How can we possibly be expected to keep up?

  7. #7
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    And a Facebook page!:

    https://www.facebook.com/DungeonSynth/

  8. #8
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,057
    I listened to the YouTube clip - or rather about five minutes of it, then skipped ahead 45 minutes and it was still doing the same thing.

    If this is "dungeon synth" I think I'd prefer the iron maiden.

  9. #9
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    Got this album on Bandcamp last night:

    http://thangorodrimsynth.bandcamp.co...-fuin-remaster

  10. #10
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Got this album on Bandcamp last night:

    http://thangorodrimsynth.bandcamp.co...-fuin-remaster
    2. Non Stirred the Listening Leaves 11:38


  11. #11
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Another made-up sub-genre? How can we possibly be expected to keep up?
    All sub-genres are made up!

  12. #12
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    And Dungeon Synth Digest:

    http://hollywoodmetal.com/tag/dungeon-synth-digest/

    And a Dungeon Synth subreddit:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/DungeonSynth/

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I listened to the YouTube clip - or rather about five minutes of it, then skipped ahead 45 minutes and it was still doing the same thing.

    If this is "dungeon synth" I think I'd prefer the iron maiden.
    Mortiis is a legend.

    I am wondering if this is not a sub-sub genre off of black metal or goth
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I listened to the YouTube clip - or rather about five minutes of it, then skipped ahead 45 minutes and it was still doing the same thing.

    If this is "dungeon synth" I think I'd prefer the iron maiden.
    Yeah, that was miserable to say the least.

  15. #15
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Mortiis is a legend.

    I am wondering if this is not a sub-sub genre off of black metal or goth
    It seems like it's partly inspired by the ambient intros to a lot of Black Metal albums. I don't care what anyone thinks - I like it. And it's done for the love of it and you can have it for cheap. And there's a fun, old school 'zine culture around it.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It seems like it's partly inspired by the ambient intros to a lot of Black Metal albums. I don't care what anyone thinks - I like it. And it's done for the love of it and you can have it for cheap. And there's a fun, old school 'zine culture around it.
    I actually like Emperor's intros myself (Mortiis came out of Emperor), so I will check it out. Just not at work...and I need to stay off of Yoworld long enough...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  17. #17
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    According to some reviews, Burzum's recent "Days of Yore" is a Dungeon Synth album. But the dude from Burzum (Varg Vikernes) is a neo-Nazi. Too bad!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    According to some reviews, Burzum's recent "Days of Yore" is a Dungeon Synth album. But the dude from Burzum (Varg Vikernes) is a neo-Nazi. Too bad!

    I refer to Burzum, with exception to Aske material, as "Music to scare the groundhogs out of my yard"
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 08-04-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Varg-the other white bread
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  19. #19
    Traversing The Dream 100423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kansas City Area
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Reason: Varg-the other white bread


  20. #20
    Ah! Someone finally noticed the correction reasons!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  21. #21
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Ah! Someone finally noticed the correction reasons!
    I never knew it would display the reason! LOL.

  22. #22
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    540
    Another blog with similar type music reviewed: Plague Haus

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I never knew it would display the reason! LOL.
    you can add a reason as an option....I tend to abuse this option...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

  24. #24
    Oh No! Bass Solo! klothos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Another made-up sub-genre? How can we possibly be expected to keep up?
    I thought new made-up sub-genres all ended with "-core"?

  25. #25
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,006
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I thought new made-up sub-genres all ended with "-core"?
    Do you listen to Post-Core? I love that stuff! So forward-looking yet retro.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •