Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The Challenges facing Startup Prog Bands....

Quote Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
    Have I ever used the word "hate"? That is a bit harsh. I don't like electronica, and don't have much admiration for sound collagers who insist they are musicians. It trivializes musicians.
    If a composer is a musician in his own right, why wouldn't a soundcollager be? Musique Concrète, which uses all kinds of sounds, is around much longer, than you might think and it is a technique used by classical composers, who are perhaps more progressive than some prog fans. I don't say you have to like it, but at least you could concider music is more about creativity than about tools. If you create music, you're a musician, wether you use a cup and a spoon, a harmonica, a piano, or anything else that produces sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    If a composer is a musician in his own right, why wouldn't a soundcollager be? Musique Concrète, which uses all kinds of sounds, is around much longer, than you might think and it is a technique used by classical composers, who are perhaps more progressive than some prog fans. I don't say you have to like it, but at least you could concider music is more about creativity than about tools. If you create music, you're a musician, wether you use a cup and a spoon, a harmonica, a piano, or anything else that produces sound.
    Skullhead is welcome to his opinion that "sound collagers" aren't musicians. It's a very stupid, wrong, and ignorant opinion but he is welcome to it nonetheless.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Ryo decided to tone down his act for some reason (doesn't he use a Keytar also?).
    Ryo uses everything onstage including keyboard stands and the audience, his band mates, everything. He's unstoppable!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I spent good coin on that Voyager and I'm not interested in seeing it mangled playing some show just to appear "authentic" enough.
    Totally understand, I worry every time I take my lefty '79 4001 out on a gig or a flight somewhere. I will never be able to replace her BUT I bring her anyway, take the risk of losing her, not because she adds an air of authenticity but because the bass sounds and plays like a dream and I couldn't imagine not playing her at prog gigs (pop gigs, too, Rickenbacker's definitely have their place in power pop, probably moreso than prog).

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Ryo uses everything onstage including keyboard stands and the audience, his band mates, everything. He's unstoppable!

Totally understand, I worry every time I take my lefty '79 4001 out on a gig or a flight somewhere. I will never be able to replace her BUT I bring her anyway, take the risk of losing her, not because she adds an air of authenticity but because the bass sounds and plays like a dream and I couldn't imagine not playing her at prog gigs (pop gigs, too, Rickenbacker's definitely have their place in power pop, probably moreso than prog).
    The "playing like a dream" part I definitely understand...I use semi-weighted controllers so I get the right kind of feel during performance. It isn't 100% like the feel of the Voyager (which is one of the only instruments I've played that I'd describe as sexy), but it's close enough that I'm comfortable with it onstage

So yeah, I get where you're coming from
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Skullhead is welcome to his opinion that "sound collagers" aren't musicians. It's a very stupid, wrong, and ignorant opinion but he is welcome to it nonetheless.
    I think you have a better chance of seeing Flatt and Scruggs making an album of covers including "Living in the Heart of the Beast" and Shostakovich 4 than changing Skullutary's opinion of laptops. And 1/2 of Flatt and Scruggs is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    According to you, I am now a professional film maker! We have been hired to provide music for an event put on by the US National Department of Forestry next month. It was originally just going to be live music for the event, but the DOF coordinator asked if we would take on the job of handling projected video/images of nature behind the band.

My experience in working with Final Cut Pro is limited but I have a grasp on the very basics of editing. I told him I would handle that and one of our bands would do the music. He gave me links to stuff of various video sharing public domain sites that I could rip or pull down and use to collage together some images for the backdrop of the event. Some sites offer stock footage for purchase that they have given a budget for if needed.

Trying to keep things thematically relevant, I have decided to work images around 4 themes that will be backed by a live band playing original instrumental progressive rock pieces.

So if knitting together digital video footage or collaging a bunch of pre shot footage on a computer into "my own thing" makes me a film maker.... I am at a loss for words truly. I could not imaging suggesting to a real film maker that I am "one of them"... and insisting that I am would be an embarrassment, insulting and a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think you have a better chance of seeing Flatt and Scruggs making an album of covers including "Living in the Heart of the Beast" and Shostakovich 4 than changing Skullutary's opinion of laptops. And 1/2 of Flatt and Scruggs is dead.
    Just like Skull's hopes for a proggy, laptop-free future!

I love denial. It's what helped me keep Katy Perry on speed dial for so many years. You know, just in case

Am I a film maker? Don't want to touch that topic?

Last edited by Tributary Records; 08-24-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Am I a film maker? Don't want to touch that topic?
    I dunno, are you one of those countless guys flipping off at Redtube, making dough and so kinda filming professionally? Not without a laptop you're not! Don't want to touch that laptop?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Ian asked me not to post this, but....

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8285717
    Yeah Interesting, just out of curiosity: are people not even sleeping trying to make laptops cry? jesh.. poor laptops...
    But OK, could it be laptops or whatsoever, no need to tell me though this just ain't true, just flipping out
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 08-24-2016 at 05:08 AM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I dunno, are you one of those countless guys flipping off at Redtube, making dough and so kinda filming professionally? Not without a laptop you're not! Don't want to touch that laptop?
    Apparently you respond without reading posts.... referring to this below, and I a flim maker?

According to you, I am now a professional film maker! We have been hired to provide music for an event put on by the US National Department of Forestry next month. It was originally just going to be live music for the event, but the DOF coordinator asked if we would take on the job of handling projected video/images of nature behind the band.

My experience in working with Final Cut Pro is limited but I have a grasp on the very basics of editing. I told him I would handle that and one of our bands would do the music. He gave me links to stuff of various video sharing public domain sites that I could rip or pull down and use to collage together some images for the backdrop of the event. Some sites offer stock footage for purchase that they have given a budget for if needed.

Trying to keep things thematically relevant, I have decided to work images around 4 themes that will be backed by a live band playing original instrumental progressive rock pieces.

So if knitting together digital video footage or collaging a bunch of pre shot footage on a computer into "my own thing" makes me a film maker.... I am at a loss for words truly. I could not imaging suggesting to a real film maker that I am "one of them"... and insisting that I am would be an embarrassment, insulting and a joke.

Apparently you respond without reading posts.... referring to this below, and I a flim maker?
    Can I ask why you're so angry? What is it that you are angry about and why do you feel being angry helps you?
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Can I ask why you're so angry? What is it that you are angry about and why do you feel being angry helps you?
    Not angry at all, just waiting for an intelligent thoughtful answer as to how digital sound collagers are claiming to be musicians?
    If I copy and paste film clips from vimeo or youtube, does that make me a film maker?

Better question is, why is everyone avoiding the question? .... resorting to sarcasm?

Angry?

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8286042

Not angry at all, just waiting for an intelligent thoughtful answer as to how digital sound collagers are claiming to be musicians?
    You have not only been offered but presented with at least a dozen elaborations as to why an all-electronic composer is just as much of a musician as someone pressing keys on an electric or mechanical board - although there'd still be violinists denying any electric musician his/her status at that. When you somehow manage to continue as if you've NOT been presented with such arguments - which you still haven't addressed, either because you don't understand their implications or because you simply haven't got sufficient answers - then you can not seriously expect to be treated seriously. Not in a discussion forum.

Whether you're a "flim maker" [sic]? Are you a film maker if you conjure up a montage of YouTube clips, you ask? Well, buddy, are you NOT a filmmaker if you create a documentary using existing and/or known footage? Do you have to actually hold the camera yourself, visit the exact locations? Perhaps you'd have to install the basic electricity as well?

This thread should have been sacked long ago. Useless, futile.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Done.

It's easier said than done, but don't fuel the fire. He is more interested in arguing, trolling, and baiting than having a discussion. Roll back through this thread a bit and you'll see the tactics. Just ignore.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.