Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

  1. #1101
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm surprised that there is still so many bowl games. Every time I watch one of those mid-to-late December bowl games the attendance is maybe a third of stadium capacity.
    There are even more coming. The MAC just announced a tie in with a new bowl in Myrtle Beach South Carolina that is supposed to start either next year or the following year. There are still a few bowl eligible teams that did not get a bowl bid this year.

  2. #1102
    ESPN has to have some way to fill all that air time over the holidays....

  3. #1103
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    ESPN has to have some way to fill all that air time over the holidays....
    I know it is hard for P5 fans to understand, but for Mid Major schools going to a bowl, any bowl, is still a pretty big deal. WMU is playing in the Potato Bowl in Boise Idaho against BYU this year. Yes, it ain't the Cotton Bowl, but it still gives the program exposure in a nationally televised game, gives them 3 extra weeks of practice which is invaluable especially for the underclassmen returning next year, provides a reward for the graduating seniors, and gives national exposure against a non-conference foe to those kids who are NFL prospects. These kids are fired up about going to Boise, even if it will most likely be cold and in front of a half empty stadium of mostly BYU fans.

  4. #1104
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I know it is hard for P5 fans to understand, but for Mid Major schools going to a bowl, any bowl, is still a pretty big deal. WMU is playing in the Potato Bowl in Boise Idaho against BYU this year. Yes, it ain't the Cotton Bowl, but it still gives the program exposure in a nationally televised game, gives them 3 extra weeks of practice which is invaluable especially for the underclassmen returning next year, provides a reward for the graduating seniors, and gives national exposure against a non-conference foe to those kids who are NFL prospects. These kids are fired up about going to Boise, even if it will most likely be cold and in front of a half empty stadium of mostly BYU fans.
    Oh no doubt. My comment wasn't specific to the MAC situation just a more generic comment following up on Lockbox and ESPN controlling almost all these bowl games.
    I fully understand that the bowl games are a nice reward for the mid major schools and that extra practice time is valuable for any school.

    There are a lot of Missouri fans around me down here grumbling about them going to the Liberty Bowl in Memphis instead of a Florida bowl like the Gator, Outback or Citrus, thinking they deserved a better location and opponent (Okla St) after an 8-4 season with 2 of the losses to Bama and Georgia (and a win over Florida). It's not the sexiest bowl around but it's an old traditional one and it's an easy 4 hour drive from StL down I-55. They should be happy with that bowl and pack the stadium with Mizzou fans. New Years Eve on Beale Street!

    I kind of regret not traveling down to Memphis myself decades ago in the mid 80s when ND played a Doug Flutie led fairly highly ranked Boston College in the Liberty Bowl. We were disappointed not to have had a better season and get a New Years or higher profile bowl, but ND ended up beating Flutie in what was one of the few high points of the Faust years.

    Also, I was kind of hoping to see Michigan matched up vs UCF to see how that would go.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-05-2018 at 09:19 PM.

  5. #1105
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Oh no doubt. My comment wasn't specific to the MAC situation just a more generic comment following up on Lockbox and ESPN controlling almost all these bowl games.
    I fully understand that the bowl games are a nice reward for the mid major schools and that extra practice time is valuable for any school.

    There are a lot of Missouri fans around me down here grumbling about them going to the Liberty Bowl in Memphis instead of a Florida bowl like the Gator, Outback or Citrus, thinking they deserved a better location and opponent (Okla St) after an 8-4 season with 2 of the losses to Bama and Georgia (and a win over Florida). It's not the sexiest bowl around but it's an old traditional one and it's an easy 4 hour drive from StL down I-55. They should be happy with that bowl and pack the stadium with Mizzou fans. New Years Eve on Beale Street!

    I kind of regret not traveling down to Memphis myself decades ago in the mid 80s when ND played a Doug Flutie led fairly highly ranked Boston College in the Liberty Bowl. We were disappointed not to have had a better season and get a New Years or higher profile bowl, but ND ended up beating Flutie in what was one of the few high points of the Faust years.

    Also, I was kind of hoping to see Michigan matched up vs UCF to see how that would go.
    A Michigan / UCF matchup would have been great. UCF used to be in the MAC so I have kind of enjoyed following their story the last two years.

    Yes, the Liberty Bowl is one of those traditional ones that have been around for many years. Mizzu / OK St should be a pretty good matchup, but yea I can understand why fans might not be happy with where they ended up.

    I have been to a few bowl games over the years. I have been to the one in Detroit twice and one in Houston on year. They have all been good times.

  6. #1106
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,159
    Anyone watching The Black Knights vs. The Midshipmen?

  7. #1107
    Those are sharp looking Navy helmets.

  8. #1108
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Bowl season starts tomorrow with 5 games on tap, then a game or more a day (except NFL Sundays) until New Years. Always a fun time of year for college football fans.

  9. #1109
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,390
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Bowl season starts tomorrow with 5 games on tap, then a game or more a day (except NFL Sundays) until New Years. Always a fun time of year for college football fans.
    Let's play "count the empty seats" I never understand how these make money, surely the TV money isn't that good for the Uncle Brians Beef Jerky Holiday Bowl?
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  10. #1110
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Let's play "count the empty seats" I never understand how these make money, surely the TV money isn't that good for the Uncle Brians Beef Jerky Holiday Bowl?
    Producers instruct the cameramen to keep it tight so as not to show lack of attendance but the prog-concert-level crowd noise usually gives it away.

  11. #1111
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,159
    Aaaaaaand I'm watching the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl. Woo woo.......

  12. #1112
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    9,523
    Sly -

    I'm heavily rooting for WMU against the %$^#&@ Mormons who came into Camp Randall and humiliated the obviously overrated Badgers.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  13. #1113
    Injecting a college bball comment in momentarily....
    Nice win by my South Bend IN Irish over the West Lafayette IN Boilermakers in the all Indiana Crossroads Classic in Indy. Great annual rotating rivalry among the 4 Indiana bball powers (ND, Purdue, Indiana, Butler).

  14. #1114
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Aaaaaaand I'm watching the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl. Woo woo.......
    I am in a bowl pool (pick the winners of all the bowl games) and picked the winner in that one, so I was cool with it.

  15. #1115
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Sly -

    I'm heavily rooting for WMU against the %$^#&@ Mormons who came into Camp Randall and humiliated the obviously overrated Badgers.
    The opening line was BYU favored by 12. This game is either going to be a blowout by BYU or a slugfest. The two teams have one mutual opponent in Northern Illinois. BYU lost to them, WMU beat them. The bottom line is going to come down to WMU’s defense. They played horrible most of the year which led to the defensive coordinator being fired after the 2nd to last game. Then in the final game against Northern Illinois with a new Defensive Coordinator the defense had probably the best game they have had all season. If the defense can play like that against BYU it should be a close game. Offensively WMU backup true freshman quarterback gets his 4th start. The kid has a big arm and is really talented, but still pretty green. Other than that the offense should be able to score against them. On the BYU side, defense is their strong point and they are significantly bigger than WMU. Offensively they have been inconsistent all year which hopefully WMU can take advantage of. Of course the weather in Boise could play a factor. WMU played in this game 4 years ago and it was horrid weather conditions. It will also be pretty much a home game for BYU as there are not many WMU folks who are going to travel to Boise in the middle of December, but there is a pretty large Mormon population in the area. If I were betting on this game I would take WMU plus the points, but in the end it all comes down to how the Bronco defense plays. Not sure how BYU feels about this bowl, but I can tell ya, the WMU guys are really fired up to be there.

    What are you thinking with the Badgers against Miami? I am thinking Wisky should come out on top of that one, especially being a northern outdoor game.

  16. #1116
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Also on today, the Division II National Championship with Michigan's Ferris State Bulldogs going up against Valdosta St. on ESPNU

  17. #1117
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    9,523
    SS - the instant I saw the Badger-'Cane Pinstripe Bowl matchup I smiled. Now for a freakin' blizzard in NYC on the 27th!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  18. #1118
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,159
    We'll see Steve. We'll see. Gloat all you want.......lol.

  19. #1119
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    9,523
    ^^
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  20. #1120
    Those southern boys don't like coming up north of the Mason-Dixon line in Dec/Jan.

  21. #1121
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Isn't someone here a fan of Ohio University? I can't remember, but seems like Frank Solich's team has come up in discussion here before. Anyway.......they pretty much destroyed San Diego State last night in the Frisco Bowl. It was a nice win for the Bobcats and the MAC.

  22. #1122
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,002
    ^ I switched back and forth between that game and the Penguins-Capitals hockey game. The hockey game was pretty excellent, the football wasn't competitive, but at least the right team won.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  23. #1123
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    9,523
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Isn't someone here a fan of Ohio University? I can't remember, but seems like Frank Solich's team has come up in discussion here before. Anyway.......they pretty much destroyed San Diego State last night in the Frisco Bowl. It was a nice win for the Bobcats and the MAC.
    Since I stayed in San Diego & graduated from SDSU after I got out of the Navy before I went back to NYC, I'm now glad I forgot this game was on .
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  24. #1124
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Since I stayed in San Diego & graduated from SDSU after I got out of the Navy before I went back to NYC, I'm now glad I forgot this game was on .
    If it is any consolation Ohio destroyed WMU too earlier this season. One of the only times I have left a game at halftime it was so bad. The weather was horrible too so that didn't help.

  25. #1125
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Isn't someone here a fan of Ohio University? I can't remember, but seems like Frank Solich's team has come up in discussion here before. Anyway.......they pretty much destroyed San Diego State last night in the Frisco Bowl. It was a nice win for the Bobcats and the MAC.
    Ahem.


    Go Bobcats!


    To be clear, I really consider myself a Buckeye fan rather a Bobcat fan, but I am an alum. Of both, actually, but my I got my BS from OU so I consider myself a Bobcat...
    This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •