Page 38 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA College Football

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Hey, they'll still get to play in the Wherever Bowl in who tf knows. I watched every down. The Mormons coach simply out-coached Chryst.
    You said it before. That #4 pre-season ranking was the kiss of death.

Had a blast tonight as WMU kicked DSU's ass 68 to 0 here in Kalamazoo. I can't figure this team out. They laid an egg against Michigan last week. Played Syracuse tough, but lost the week before that. Tonight they could do nothing wrong.

^^^
    Sounds like a good time, but I had to look up who "DSU" was, .

Re Cuse, they have had a pretty good fast paced offense for a few years, I was just surprised how thoroughly they stifled FSU. ND plays both teams this year.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-16-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Our Dames struggled with Vanderbilt. How does that happen to a #8 ranked team?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Don't know. Maybe for some of the same reasons that would cause a highly ranked team to lose by 30 to an unranked team.
    Obviously they will need to step up their game with Stanford and Va Tech looming.

The Hurricanes and The Golden Panthers are in a dog fight.. Wonder if we'll see another brawl.

Rutgers got crushed by Buffalo of the MAC. How did they ever let this DII school into the B1G?

Rutgers got crushed by Buffalo of the MAC. How did they ever let this DII school into the B1G?
    The Big 14 wanted those millions and millions of east coast TV viewers that passionately follow Rutgers football!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The Big 14 wanted those millions and millions of east coast TV viewers that passionately follow Rutgers football!
    Well I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but the obvious geographical fit was Notre Dame, but they declined.

Wisconsin was #5, played BYU and is now #18, so it happens to a #5 team too, Moe.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Well I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but the obvious geographical fit was Notre Dame, but they declined.
    But ND not on east coast.
    There are a myriad of reasons and issues which would take a very long post to detail, which I won't bore everyone with, but some of them date back to the early part of the 20th century. ND still plays 2 sometimes 3 games vs Big Ten every year; this year Michigan and Northwestern.

On another note, Florida St, USC and now today Virginia Tech are killing ND's strength of schedule. Really need Stanford to stay unbeaten tonight.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-22-2018 at 08:14 PM.

We won. I'll take it. Not sure why Malik Rosier was taken out of the game but we won. Now the real meat of the season starts. Let's see how we do against NC State, VATECH, and The Vols . Let's see.

Wisconsin was #5, played BYU and is now #18, so it happens to a #5 team too, Moe.
    Geez, my point was that the pre-season pundits Ouija boards are defective.

But ND not on east coast.
    Yeah, but that was a fallback position. They approached ND first, and would have preferred that to the nebulous East Coast fan base.

There are a myriad of reasons and issues which would take a very long post to detail, which I won't bore everyone with, but some of them date back to the early part of the 20th century. ND still plays 2 sometimes 3 games vs Big Ten every year; this year Michigan and Northwestern.
    I think they screwed up. They could have been in the B1G West with only Bucky to contend with, and in a 180 degree reversal from when I was young, it would have upped their recruiting potential. Plus, they wouldn't have had to wait for a Bowl Game to get rolled by Ohio St. The Fathers had other ideas, I guess. Probably mostly tied to TV contracts.

Sad to see it though. The B1G is a top-heavy conference anyway, but with the top being Ohio St, Penn St, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan St, and Meatchicken, it would have certainly eclipsed the SEC and been THE powerhouse in CFB. A missed opportunity, imo.

Two B1G predictions for today:

Meatchicken's thumping of Nebraska will be their best win of the year.

Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio St will be one of the invites to New York for the Heisman presentation, barring injury.

Hold me to it.

Geez, my point was that the pre-season pundits Ouija boards are defective.
    Of course, which was what also elicited my earlier "kiss of death" post.

Now I can only hope that the "kiss" doesn't involve a tongue down the Badger's throat.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Now I can only hope that the "kiss" doesn't involve a tongue down the Badger's throat.
    That was a key loss. If they run the table and win the B1G...maybe, but you know the howls from the 2nd place SEC team will be off the chart.

Not to bring you down, but I'm expecting my Buckeyes to run the B1G and make the Final Four. I am occasionally wrong, though. Don't know about beating Bama in a playoff. Tall order there.

Yeah, but that was a fallback position. They approached ND first, and would have preferred that to the nebulous East Coast fan base.
    Well, yeah, the winkyface indicated I was being facetious. Of course The B10 wanted ND, the most recognizable, historic and popular program nationally in the country over sillyputty programs like Rutgers and Maryland. And that's not even factoring in the top 15 academics. ND has more of a longstanding loyal core fanbase and footprint on the east coast, esp NY, NJ, Philly and DC areas, than the entire B10 combined.

I think they screwed up. They could have been in the B1G West with only Bucky to contend with, and in a 180 degree reversal from when I was young, it would have upped their recruiting potential. Plus, they wouldn't have had to wait for a Bowl Game to get rolled by Ohio St. The Fathers had other ideas, I guess. Probably mostly tied to TV contracts.

Sad to see it though. The B1G is a top-heavy conference anyway, but with the top being Ohio St, Penn St, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan St, and Meatchicken, it would have certainly eclipsed the SEC and been THE powerhouse in CFB. A missed opportunity, imo.
    Well of course a B10 fan sees it that way, but like I said there are numerous reasons for turning down the B10 (several times), which would take too long to go over in detail which you probably aren't considering or don't know. Not just about TV, although that plays into it. The smaller private and Catholic nature of the Univ; the national demographic of the student body and alumni fanbase as opposed to a state/regional one; academic reasons; history, tradition, long standing rivalries; scheduling flexibility; issues pertaining to sports other than football and the way the B10 treated ND historically.

ND wouldn't be helped from a recruiting perspective at all by joining the B10--they already recruit the Midwest strong obviously, ie Chicago, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania etc for decades without being in the B10. They would lose some of their national recruiting power in Calif, Texas, Florida etc by joining the B10 and becoming more Midwest-centric. They play a national schedule, the only school in the country that plays games against usually 4 of the 5 power conferences, and sometimes all 5 power conferences. They are going to replace that freedom to schedule games vs USC, Florida St, Texas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Stanford, LSU, Clemson with yearly games against Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa? Come on. Penn St used to be a national independent power that played for national championships--while they periodically have had some strong teams, I don't think they have played for a national championship since they joined the B10. Nebraska's national profile has also gone down since joining the B10.

ND has played USC and Navy since the 1920s, they aren't going to give up those rivalries/traditions. They have a special relationship with the military academies. They have a yearly deal with Stanford which is very important (guarantees them 1 game per year on west coast). ND would make more $$ by joining the B10--Illiinos makes more money from the B10 contract than ND does from it's NBC contract. So it's not about money. The school did a very long, careful and involved review and study of the pros and cons over a number of years before voting on the issue. The B10 insisted on ND being a full member in all sports, giving up the NBC home contract, and playing a conference schedule which would have meant giving up their independence and long standing rivalries like USC, Stanford, Navy etc. Plus, ND already plays games against Michigan, Northwesten, Michigan St, Purdue quite frequently. So it's more of a missed opportunity for the B10 than ND.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 09-22-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Stanford stages an impressive last minute comeback and wins on the road at Oregon in OT. Tough, tough team. David Shaw probably the most unsung, underrated coach in college football.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma struggled to barely beat unranked ARMY at home in OT! How does that happen to a #5 ranked team?

Of course, which was what also elicited my earlier "kiss of death" post.
    Well, they were ranked as the most overrated team on SBNation: 3 overrated college football teams for 2018 by preseason analytics.

Not to bring you down, but I'm expecting my Buckeyes to run the B1G and make the Final Four. I am occasionally wrong, though. Don't know about beating Bama in a playoff. Tall order there.
    That's what they said about the 2014 Buckeyes with a 3rd string QB.

Wanna wager on if they make Haskins a running QB next year?

BTW, have you seen this (from 2011): Buckeyes have the most fans
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Breaking News: Reports are that Appalachain St has made inquiries and a request to join the Big 14 in football, and the B14 took a secret vote about replacing Rutgers with App St, and it lost due to vociferous opposition especially from Michigan and Penn St.

Apparently there is a new rule in college football which allows a player to transfer without losing a season of eligibility if he plays in no more than 4 games. So Clemson's QB Bryant transfers when he loses his starting job, and today the frosh QB who just became 1st string got injured.

This is not a good rule and will create depth problems due to injuries. Coaches are already trying to juggle keeping multiple recruited QBs happy so they don't transfer to give them depth in case of an injury, and now they are allowing it without penalty in the middle of a season. Everyone feels they are entitled to start immediately.

Whatever happened to team and school loyalty and sucking it up and working harder to get the job back? To me this accelerates this entitled mollycoddled athlete attitude where players will now threaten "if you don't play me or start me, I'll transfer." That's the wrong message to reinforce to college athletes, this "it's all about me syndrome".

Apparently there is a new rule in college football which allows a player to transfer without losing a season of eligibility if he plays in no more than 4 games. So Clemson's QB Bryant transfers when he loses his starting job, and today the frosh QB who just became 1st string got injured.

This is not a good rule and will create depth problems due to injuries. Coaches are already trying to juggle keeping multiple recruited QBs happy so they don't transfer to give them depth in case of an injury, and now they are allowing it without penalty in the middle of a season. Everyone feels they are entitled to start immediately.

Whatever happened to team and school loyalty and sucking it up and working harder to get the job back? To me this accelerates this entitled mollycoddled athlete attitude where players will now threaten "if you don't play me or start me, I'll transfer." That's the wrong message to reinforce to college athletes, this "it's all about me syndrome".
    Yup, here in Kalamazoo WMU's kicker from last year got beat out by a freshman for field goals (but was still doing kickoff duties), left the program due to the same rule. The new rule allows players to play in 4 games, but not be counted towards a "season". They also can play in 4 games or less and still be redshirted.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I personally think its a great rule, stops power mad coaches hanging onto players who otherwise would get no chance to play and ride the bench.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah, because how dare we let anyone ruffle the feathers of these recent generations of self entitled molly coddled athletes (see every diva WR of the last few decades as well as the Johnny M's of the world) who have been told all their life they are the best and absolutely deserve to start, and not let them learn that in life there is competition and adversity to overcome, and you may not be better than someone else and maybe you could work harder to be better, and that in a team game--as in life-- there are important lessons to be learned about loyalty and teamwork and commitment (these guys *are* getting a free college education after all, which is extremely valuable).

Joe Montana was at one time 7th on the depth chart at ND. I guess he could have pouted and called out his coach (Dan Devine) and even transferred out of entitled petulance. But instead he stayed, continued to work hard, finally got some chances and made the most of his opportunities when the chances came. He went on to lead ND to the national championship in 1977 and then become the greatest QB ever (after also sitting as a backup learning the NFL ropes for awhile).
    Last edited by DocProgger; 10-01-2018 at 09:03 AM.