Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Gnidrolog - Lady Lake

FEATURED CD: Gnidrolog - Lady Lake

This one came up in playlist yesterday. It's a solid release from 1972 that falls under many progger's radar. Any fans?

Review from ProgArchives:
    This 1972 album (a very good year for prog) defines the term "lost classic". Powerful, complex, packed with emotive playing, distinctive vocals, interesting instruments and clever arrangements, it's wuite frankly nothing short of wall-to-wall genius - symphonic prog at it's very very best. Why then, are they never ever mentioned? Lord knows, but they never made it big and as a result will forever remain an obscure footnote in the history of progressive rock. Footnotes don't get much better than this though.

Opening with the powerful (if slightly dated) "I Could Never be a Soldier", the Goldring brothers and their assembled chums proceed to deliver 42 minutes of dark, soulful symphonic prog with touches of folk, jazz and so on. You know the drill. When was the last time you heard a prog album that only had influences from one genre?

With a wide base of instruments (saxophones, flute, oboe, recorder, horn, plus the usual guitardrumsbass combo) from which to weave their compositions, there's a lot of variation in the mix, which is a wonderful boon. Add to that the fact that the pieces are all very original in their style (one can compare to Van der Graaf, Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull if you like, but this was 1972 not 78 so I feel that most similarities are somewhat coincidental) and already you've got two brilliant reasons to seek out this masterpiece. If you really need a third. just look at that cover. F*ck Roger Dean! THAT'S proggy cover art!

I wish I had something bad to say about this album for the sake of balance but I really really don't. Some accuse the two short acoustic pieces of being inferior, or worse "filler". I disagree. I think they're beautiful additions and act as helpful interludes to allow the ears some recovery time before the next onslaught of wailing saxes, pounding drums and aggressive guitars. The only other criticism I've seen levelled against Gnidrolog is the vocals. Yes, they're a little high pitched at times, yes they're somewhat nasal. However, you soon get used to them and in time they become inseperable from Gnidrolog's sound. I wouldn't swap 'em for anything.

VDGG fans, fans of all dark, jazz-tinged symphonic prog - why do you not already own this? - The Hemulen

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I spent a little time getting into this and the 2nd one when they were being sold as a "two-for-one" CD. It wasn't an easy first listen, but it did eventually click. I agree that the vocals are probably the hardest thing to adjust to, but once I accepted them, I found that Lady Lake in particular really did deliver the goods. I especially appreciate the at times slightly odd instrumentation. You're right; there's nothing else that's really quite like this. Too bad they faded away. I heard the live album once but didn't give it much attention, so I've mostly forgotten about it. Perhaps the sound quality wasn't good...?

Now I have to dig this one out again and give it a spin!

Edit: Ah, *this* is their second one. In Spite of Harry's Toe-nail is the first. That's the one I liked the most. That opening track Long Live Man Dead is killer! Listening now...
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 07-28-2016 at 09:21 AM.

I love both these albums, though LL probably shades it. VDGG is maybe the best comparison but there really is nothing else out there quite like them. Spectacularly bleak records to my ears.

Quite the fan, yes. Although I run a little back and forth as to which of their two initial studio releases I prefer. The songs are more aggressive and immediate on the debut, but here the arrangements and structures are a bit more refined and diverse. They're both pretty intense for their time, though; within more elaborate strands of "progressive rock" from the UK at this point, only VdGG or Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come and some KC and GGiant came close to matching Gnidrolog's sense of attack and mania, but none displayed their level of sheer anger. I remember reading how they were always very influenced by Family, and although their respective styles were rather different I can still understand the reference. There are also moments were you'd wonder why their work hasn't enjoyed more appeal with followers of early 70s UK eccentrica (Comus, Jan Dukes de Grey, Simon Finn, Second Hand et. al.).

And a 1971-72 UK "proggy-prog" band without keys - that *did* make them special. In addition to the weary vocals, I mean.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've got the first one and the live album, and they've never clicked.

It's not a vocal thing; I don't mind the singer's voice at all.

I'll try again and find out what's not working for me.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Love both studio albums equally, but let's not forget the live Archive album, which is somewhat not perfect in terms of sound, but well worth the investment...

BTW, if you're looking for the debut album, make sure that you look for the version with the excellent (if not essential) bonus tracks...

Another band with an unusual line-up ala Gnidrolog is the swiss group Circus, but their sound was not as aggressive as Gni's
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I heard the live album once but didn't give it much attention, so I've mostly forgotten about it. Perhaps the sound quality wasn't good...?
    AFAIR it was recorded on a cassette player from the back of the venue. Sonics aren't exactly "good", but the CD is surprisingly listenable still - and I believe they did a meticulous job at reprocessing the sound. Think above average boot quality. And a great selection of numbers.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks SS! In fact, I checked my library and was surprised to see that I have it - purchased it from emusic waaaaaaay back when I had an account with them. Will spin all three Gnidrolog albums tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Another band with an unusual line-up ala Gnidrolog is the swiss group Circus, but their sound was not as aggressive as Gni's
    I didn't want to make other comparisons initially, but Circus was one of the groups I was going to mention as a reference point. It's also not incredibly different from Island and a host of proto-prog groups that SS alluded to in his post.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Love this one!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ...It's also not incredibly different from Island...
    Minus the gastric juices, of course.

Yeah, I'm a fan. Not one of my favorites, but enjoyable and well worth having.

^ I suppose the main difference from Island is the latter's extent of formal approach to the medium of concept and composition. When I hear Pictures I am essentially listening to a bonafide avant-garde and theoretical rendition of the "symph progressive" concept. There's extremely little left to chance, with every detail more or less planned all through, including production, vocal timbre etc. Gnidrolog, although their kinda theatrical bend and that eerie aura permeating the music, were in a manner VERY much a rock group. Long stretches of repetition between the knots of dissonance, howling guitar solos, uncontrolled drum fills and so on. And some wonderfully goofy lyrics to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I didn't want to make other comparisons initially, but Circus was one of the groups I was going to mention as a reference point. It's also not incredibly different from Island and a host of proto-prog groups that SS alluded to in his post.
    I'm less convinced by Island's similarity, because it sounds much more Zeuhl-ish and symphonic than Gni.

However Circus' first album (much rawer than the classic Movin'On album) has a similar feel to Harry's Toenail
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Pretty good second-tier stuff, I dig both LPs about equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    the vocals are probably the hardest thing to adjust to
    +1. A real weakness in what is otherwise relatively nifty stuff.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 07-28-2016 at 04:32 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

A very good album, and they are still fondly remembered by quite a few music fans of a certain age in the UK.

When punk hit the Goldring brothers, who were the mainstay of Gnidrolog, went on to form The Pork Dukes, of notably obscene lyrical bent.

I remember this Dutch band of the nineties-00, Lady Lake...

This is an all-time favorite of mine. The intensity and build of VdGG is definitely there, mixed with that early 70s Proto-Prog sound. The combination makes for some incredible songs, but also great instrumental passages. This is really what early 70s prog is all about.

^^ Ha! Lady Lake's debut album, No Pictures, was actually a 70s release (approx. '76, I believe) and really rather interesting. Not quite as original in sound as their countrymen Pandora Het, but with the odd similarity. The band's name always made me wonder if there was indeed a Gnidrolog connection, which certainly isn't all too unlikely, as the members may have attended free festivals or visited the Marquee during visits across the canal a few years prior to picking a name for their own group. And there was definitely also a continental association in that Gnidrolog's reedsman (forgot his name right now; John something?) used to play with the spoofy avant-hard rockers Nine Days' Wonder, whose first album might appeal to fans of the first Gnid record with its stingy guitar distortion, frenetic drumming, bizarre arrangements and perplex vox bringing mucho black humour text.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 07-28-2016 at 03:15 PM.

I knew the band and the wonderful cover for years, but never listened to it. Until last year Music On Vinyl released a new version. Glad I bought it, because it contains some really unique stuff. When I saw an old Japanese CD-version I bought that one as well for when I'm lazy.

I only know Lady Lake and only then through a CDR somebody once sent me in the early days of the web. I like it well enough though.

Colin Golding of course is noted as playing recorders on The Yes Album, but I'm sure that's known by most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good album. As you'll see in my notes, it took me awhile to get my head around it though.

I had longed questioned the quality of this album, as it seemed to be highly-touted among collectors worldwide, many times at the expense of the debut In Spite of Harry's Toenail. I had always figured it was to increase the value of the album, rather than an honest assessment of the music itself. And while I still prefer the herky-jerkiness of the debut, I've come to the realization that Lady Lake is indeed a fine work. It's not as immediately apparent for someone who is as meter focused as I tend to be, but yet there's a maturity and depth that I missed in my overanxious youth. In fact, the album ties in well with other top level UK albums like Raw Material and Spring - other works that took awhile for me to appreciate. Now I can't get enough of this peculiar breed of UK rock from the early 1970s. The addition of a woodwinds player also helps considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^^ Ha! Lady Lake's debut album, No Pictures, was actually a 70s release (approx. '76, I believe) and really rather interesting. Not quite as original in sound as their countrymen Pandora Het, but with the odd similarity. The band's name always made me wonder if there was indeed a Gnidrolog connection, which certainly isn't all too unlikely, as the members may have attended free festivals or visited the Marquee during visits across the canal a few years prior to picking a name for their own group. And there was definitely also a continental association in that Gnidrolog's reedsman (forgot his name right now; John something?) used to play with the spoofy avant-hard rockers Nine Days' Wonder, whose first album might appeal to fans of the first Gnid record with its stingy guitar distortion, frenetic drumming, bizarre arrangements and perplex vox bringing mucho black humour text.
    Yes! That first Nine Days Wonder really does recall In Spite of. I never thought about that connection before.

And I do like the Dutch Lady Lake as well, both their 1970s album, and their 2005 reformation CD!

Banned
    I'm not a fan. This is one of uninteresting '70s symphonic rock bands to these ears; no wonder that the band never got a real fan base - gruesome vocal performance primary in order to imitate Roger Chapman of Family as they were very popular progressive rock band in the early '70s aswell, no keys, no catchy melodies, no dreamy atmosphere...
    And that artwork is more suitable for the 70s hard rock than to the 70s symphonic rock LP.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 07-29-2016 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    This is one of uninteresting '70s symphonic rock bands to these ears; no wonder that the band never got a wider fan base.
    And that artwork is more suitable for 70s hard rock than to a symph LP.
    If anything, Gnidrolog were never anywhere near "symphonic rock" - by definition, as there's profoundly little here alluding to purely classical music or attempting to simulate its surface appearance (something which characterizes "symph" almost uniformly).
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 07-29-2016 at 03:37 AM.