Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FEATURED CD: Gnidrolog - Lady Lake

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Your twisted perspective is baffling... and pathetic...
    And who says that? one of progarhives' "prog gods" who gave only two stars for Tales from Topographic Oceans (Trane's review of TFTO you can read here), only two stars for Olias on Sunhillow (here) only 2 stars for Steve Hillage's space-rock masterpiece L (here), only 3 star for the best Kansas' album Leftoverture (here), and (lol) 5 stars for Lady Lake (here) - that really speaks enough about "musical knowledge" of this "sublime prog god" from progarchives.com.

(...) If Gni didn't pierce, it's for a variety of extra-musical reasons (including lack of industry support) that do not have much to do with their musical creation (though let's face it, their "aggressive" sonics didn't help them) or bad management. (...)
    In their case that is very, very hard - I would say even impossible - to find guiltiness of the industry, as they have been signed for then-major label RCA. Yeah, Mr Welch from Melody Maker was indeed too bad-mouthing to them - they certainly wasn't "worst band in the UK" back then, but on the other hand, in May 1972, New Musical Express pretty nicely reported that Gnidrolog was to appear at the Great Western Express Lincoln Festival on 26 May that year.
    But, a way more important "detail" is that that when they were signed to RCA in 1972, prog was the most fashionable thing, so they got a golden opportunity to experiment more and to be way less derivative, to make their own style more stronger, and consenquently to take a better position in very strong league of the British progressive bands of the 70s.
    Last but not least, I'd like to say a few words about their "bad management" hypothesis created ad hoc by our Prog God Trane. Actually, Gnidrolog having played concerts with well-know bands - King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Magma, Colosseum and Wishbone Ash. However, Gnidrolog have always remained relatively obscure. Why? I said due to lack of originality; Koreabruce said above something about that substantial, epic side of the music what, in despite of their undeniable musical virtousity, Gnidrolog's music didn't had enough to deal a higher place in the hierarchy of the 70s British Progressive music in despite of their undeniable musical virtousity.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 07-30-2016 at 08:10 AM.

As if "progheads" (whatever that might've been in those years) back then were "demanding" and expecting anything... They (that "us" in our early or late teens) just took/caught whatever came to them or passed within their aural fields. If Gni didn't pierce, it's for a variety of extra-musical reasons (including lack of industry support) that do not have much to do with their musical creation (though let's face it, their "aggressive" sonics didn't help them) or bad management.

It's not the fairly similar-sounding VdGG and their albums like Pawn Hearts sold millions in those days and was playing on early-70's FM radio stations, either. Hardly anyone knew of the band outside Italy in 71... how they managed to survive and record so many albums has a lot to do with their will to continue (they had disbanded after PH, if you remember, for lack of success)... For the same price, Hammill might've given up and Graaf would've been an "unearthed early-70's gem" if they'd stopped after their thirs album Pawn Hearts (after all, it was only one more album than Lady Lake).

You're again doing what you always do: transposing today's affluent (as in comfortably/resonably financially well-off) 50-sumthing passionate musicheads with today's internet resources and transporting it in the early 70's... Duuude, 90% of "us/proheads" hardly had money enough (or time or possibility enough) to know of Gni.
    Saved me some typing, Hugues. Well done.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    And who says that? one of progarhives' "prog gods" who gave only two stars for Tales from Topographic Oceans (Trane's review of TFTO you can read here), only two stars for Olias on Sunhillow (here) only 2 stars for Steve Hillage's space-rock masterpiece L (here), only 3 star for the best Kansas' album Leftoverture (here), and (lol) 5 stars for Lady Lake (here) - that really speaks enough about "musical knowledge" of this "sublime prog god" from progarchives.com.
    This makes him a reviewer worth reading, IMO. No gods here, and no sacred cows either.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Svet, You're so pathetic that in your personal attack, you forget to make a difference between my personal tastes and your so-called "truths"..

Please call me you highness (or preferrably nothing at all) instead of "sublime prog god" ... which no-one ever claimed (including me) I was

BTW, the ratings of my reviews are reflecting my personal taste, not an album's importance

===========

As for Gni, apparently Welch's fumblings to find a unlikely (and very poor) excuse ("oh, I let someone else use my name" BS) for his poor review written back then, suggests that he was totally wrong and now very embarrassed about it, since he's obviously changed his mind, and probably pretends still not knowing the band (also highly unlikely, though)

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    This makes him a reviewer worth reading, IMO. No gods here, and no sacred cows either.
    Thanks (your enveloppe's in the mail )
    Last edited by Trane; 07-30-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What's the consensus regarding the BGO two-fer of In Spite of Harry's Toe-Nail / Lady Lake?

Specifically looking for thoughts on sound quality. Thanks.

I haven't heard these in some time but I do recall struggling with the vocals, to be honest...definitely should listen again.

]Svet, You're so pathetic that in your personal attack, you forget to make a difference between my personal tastes and your so-called "truths"..

Please call me you highness (or preferrably nothing at all) instead of "sublime prog god" ... which no-one ever claimed (including me) I was

BTW, the ratings of my reviews are reflecting my personal taste, not an album's importance

===========

As for Gni, apparently Welch's fumblings to find a unlikely (and very poor) excuse ("oh, I let someone else use my name" BS) for his poor review written back then, suggests that he was totally wrong and now very embarrassed about it, since he's obviously changed his mind, and probably pretends still not knowing the band (also highly unlikely, though)

Thanks (your enveloppe's in the mail )
    Yes, so only certain albums are allowed good reviews? Wow!
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-08-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    What's the consensus regarding the BGO two-fer of In Spite of Harry's Toe-Nail / Lady Lake?

It sounds fine. Well worth getting since you get two decent, if somewhat quirky albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I haven't heard these in some time but I do recall struggling with the vocals, to be honest...definitely should listen again.
    They haven't improved in the interim, but perhaps your hearing has become more forgiving
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Italian band Areknames has strong VDGG and Gnidrolog influences, including their version of Gnidrolog's great 'Snails' in one of their albums. Sadly that version is not on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    Italian band Areknames has strong VDGG and Gnidrolog influences, including their version of Gnidrolog's great 'Snails' in one of their albums. Sadly that version is not on YouTube.
    But can be heard here...
    http://tidido.com/a35184373727363/al...b521ef22870591

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    It sounds fine. Well worth getting since you get two decent, if somewhat quirky albums.
    Considering it has almost the same price as the re-release of this one album, I might go for the two on one.

Yet another minor prog classic I never heard before. I really like the two songs on youtube. I agree that VDGG and GG are the closest references. But the cover could make a strong showing in the "worst album art of all time" competition!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    But the cover could make a strong showing in the "worst album art of all time" competition!
    Really????

I love the cover. Could be something from Lord of the rings.

^^^ To each his/her own of course, but I just don't get the cover, artistically or logically. I like the goose/swan bird and the rocky island, but then there is this big yellow hand??! Who's hand is it? Is it trying to grab the goose?

Little wonder it didn't work... Punks were very suspicious about the origins of "their bands". The Police and The Stranglers were very suspicious , the first because of their previous experiences and more consequent age, and the fact that the second band had a KB player (a no-no in those punk says) that was also a few years older to be credible in their eyes

I think it's more relevant that the Pork Dukes were, let's face it, nowhere near as good as the Police or the Stranglers, and probably weren't even trying to be. The whole thing had the air of a put-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

As I recall, the BGO twofer is heavily compressed.

If this doesn't bother you, it should be fine.

Frankly, I recently picked up an old (80s?) bootleg LP of this that sounds miles better than any CD version ever issued. The original Japanese CD release was nice and dynamic, but has what I suspect was quite a bit of added treble. With "edgy" vocals like this, that really is not something you want, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    As I recall, the BGO twofer is heavily compressed.

If this doesn't bother you, it should be fine.

Frankly, I recently picked up an old (80s?) bootleg LP of this that sounds miles better than any CD version ever issued. The original Japanese CD release was nice and dynamic, but has what I suspect was quite a bit of added treble. With "edgy" vocals like this, that really is not something you want, IMO.
    Heavy compression is something I like to avoid if possible. Anyone compare the Esoteric releases?

The town I live in~Catasauqua,Pa is well known for the punk scene so I got to see The Pork Dukes a few years ago.Funny thing-across the river is Hokendauqua- also known as Darktown

New CD Lady Lake: Not Far from Llyn Llydaw http://www.musearecords.com/boutique...AKE&refp=49267

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    New CD Lady Lake: Not Far from Llyn Llydaw http://www.musearecords.com/boutique...AKE&refp=49267
    This thread is about Gnidrolog....

Although a track from the debut album some really cool cover

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    This thread is about Gnidrolog....
    Ha, ha, yeah, I fooled myself here, although there's a connection between the two .... somewhere.