Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bandcamp appreciation thread

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Been looking a bit more critically at the Bandcamp website and iOS app recently as I've been using Bandcamp a lot and noticing its shortcomings.

Number one is I BELIEVE the site will allow you to re-buy albums you've already bought. It should know they're in your collection already and not give you the option to buy (except as a gift).

Next, the site and app should allow you to view your collection alphabetically. Right now there's no sorting at all! I submitted this one to the app Feedback thingy today.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Been looking a bit more critically at the Bandcamp website and iOS app recently as I've been using Bandcamp a lot and noticing its shortcomings.

Number one is I BELIEVE the site will allow you to re-buy albums you've already bought. It should know they're in your collection already and not give you the option to buy (except as a gift).

Next, the site and app should allow you to view your collection alphabetically. Right now there's no sorting at all! I submitted this one to the app Feedback thingy today.
    I use Bandcamp to buy digital downloads, which is the ONLY way I buy music these days...I have a Bandcamp page that let's me listen to my purchases anytime I'm on line, which is really handy. My purchases are listed by date purchased, which is fine by me. However, i do object to the fact that when a selection is made to play, a window appears asking if you would like to purchase this selection. This is redundant and should be addressed. I'm very happy with Bandcamp regardless.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

That also happens with other webshops. They even suggest me, to buy albums, I already bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    That also happens with other webshops. They even suggest me, to buy albums, I already bought.
    Yes, I know pretty much any web shop will let you buy the same thing till hell freezes over, but since the idea of Bandcamp is that you maintain your collection in their system so you can listen via the web site or app, and they DON'T have any way to search your collection, it should be a simple matter to disable the Buy Now button for items you already own.

I now have over 100 albums in my collection so it's become enough that I need some of the simplest search tools rather than playing Bandcamp Concentration!

Love Bandcamp. It's great for the artist to be able to cut out the middle man and get more of the revenue directly.

Now, how about posting links to free samples/downloads on Bandcamp?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Hmm, it sounds like Bandcamp is a pretty good place for indie artists. I'll have to spend some time and familiarize myself with it. I think I have a login, but I have long since forgotten what it is/was. I have a separate part of my music collection where I keep Indie artists that I've had the pleasure to meet - online, or otherwise. Its kind of a special thing I go through and play when I am feeling like trying something different. Like going and listening to a live band, The music isnt always perfect, but some of it is fantastic, or just nostalgic and I often just run through it and just enjoy something I know that no one else on earth is listening to at that moment. I even have some Blue Vino in that collection. Not to compare anyone else to them... its just that I dont think cant say I'm a fan of music and not look beyond what everyone else is listening to. The stuff at the bottom of the charts is where everything starts. Unless you're already established.

Bandcamp... I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Love Bandcamp. It's great for the artist to be able to cut out the middle man and get more of the revenue directly.

Now, how about posting links to free samples/downloads on Bandcamp?
    Some free albums:

https://utred.bandcamp.com/album/forest

https://chaucerianmyth.bandcamp.com/...nterbury-tales

Bandcamp is great, really the best option. The only issue seems to be that the layperson doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Bandcamp is great, really the best option. The only issue seems to be that the layperson doesn't get it.
    The layperson gets it fine. They just don't care. You can't complete with free or nearly free. There's no business model that allows that and that's the basic issue regarding any problems in the marketplace for recorded music.

p.s. BandCamp isn't perfect. One problem I have is that their back end/reporting isn't very robust and is made much more towards someone selling their own music than a label trying to administer for a number of different artists.

Still, it's workable and in general, BandCamp is a great, great thing for recorded music, imo.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 05-30-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Oh WOW!

They get this working and it could really change the game... I have often wondered about why bitcoin works, and how it cannot be messed with. This is promising for people who own intellectual property. It looks like now someone is working on this, and I applaud it.

I have over 15 years of material I have never released, because its just an irritation to have your stuff pirated and given away. I never stopped writing and recording, but I've stopped trying to release it. The problem with music - and books as well, is that if a person can "play" it, or "read" it, they could transfer it on to a digital technology, and its once again "out there" dont tell me people will stop sharing. But at least it can be identified as an illegal copy and potentially prosecuted.

If this works out, I wonder if I'll have to buy all 1k+ Cd's I have collected over the years. - you know? - I just may be willing to do that, if I knew the money was going directly to the artists (or the owners of the product), and not into a pirates pocket. Pirates dont always "make" money off what they pirate, but they can use the material to drive people to sites where hits make them profits. Perhaps this will make that easy to enforce, eventually. Can you imagine making .wav's, FLAC or MP3's illegal? wow, people are not going to like that, but music fans (real ones) may really embrace this!

I think this is a very promising idea.... I think there will be some serious pushback from people who benefit from the current state of things, but its causing artists to stop creating anything new. And in a generation, there may not be much out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The layperson gets it fine. They just don't care. You can't complete with free or nearly free. There's no business model that allows that and that's the basic issue regarding any problems in the marketplace for recorded music.

p.s. BandCamp isn't perfect. One problem I have is that their back end/reporting isn't very robust and is made much more towards someone selling their own music than a label trying to administer for a number of different artists.

Still, it's workable and in general, BandCamp is a great, great thing for recorded music, imo.
    There's a lot of "free or nearly free" music on Bandcamp. In fact, you can listen to it all for free, and download a lot of it for free or nearly free. I know you know this, Steve, just mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Yes, but I've had to explain Bandcamp to several people who happily purchase it from me in person.

I got a reply from Bandcamp which I wanted to share:

Hey Jed,

Thanks for your thoughts! You can indeed sort your collection within the app. Just click the "collection" button when you're on that page to expand the sort options.

We're also thinking about limiting duplicate purchases.

Cheers,

Andy // Bandcamp

I somehow never realized the buttons he's talking about were buttons! So yes, you CAN sort your collection! Good news to me.

The part about duplicate purchases is lame - they clearly have the ability to stop them but aren't doing it? I can't think of any instance where a repeat purchase would be intentional because I don't think you can delete an album from your collection.

^^^ It may not be as simple as that though. In some cases, maybe you want to purchase an album you already own as a gift for someone else. Or some folks might want to make a duplicate purchase so they get another physical copy if they lost theirs.

Maybe instead they could have some kind of pop-up message appear, saying that the item is already in your collection and asking if you want to purchase it again.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^^^ It may not be as simple as that though. In some cases, maybe you want to purchase an album you already own as a gift for someone else. Or some folks might want to make a duplicate purchase so they get another physical copy if they lost theirs.

Maybe instead they could have some kind of pop-up message appear, saying that the item is already in your collection and asking if you want to purchase it again.
    I was only asking them about digital orders. And they have a separate button for gift orders, and I made that distinction when I wrote them.

I was only asking them about digital orders. And they have a separate button for gift orders, and I made that distinction when I wrote them.
    Ah, I gotcha. Never mind.

I've discovered something very disturbing about Bandcamp: there's a ton of Brony music on it! There's a Brony tag, a My Little Pony tag, and even a Brony Metal tag (though thankfully just one Brony Metal album):

https://sdreamexplorers.bandcamp.com...ing-the-enigma

I always thought the Brony thing was either fake, or only done in an ironic manner, but maybe not. You've been warned...

Note to self - tag all subsequent projects under 'brony'

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Note to self - tag all subsequent projects under 'brony'
    Perhaps Brony Flonkus

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well that was fun

Ex Eye - Ex Eye
    Schnauser - Irritant
    The Great Harry Hillman - Tilt
    Bubblemath - Edit Peptide
    AKKU Quintet - Aeon
    Prescott - Thing Or Two
    Yolk - Solar
    Yowie - Synchromysticism
    Mammal Hands - Animalia
    Tim Hecker - Love Streams
    The Fierce And The Dead - Field Recordings (live)
    Accordo dei Contrari - Violato Intatto
    Suburban Savages - Kore Wa!
    Aranis - Smells like Aranis
    Phlox - Keri
    Hidden Orchestra - Dawn Chorus
    Steve Roach - CORE - Legacy Edition
    Steve Roach - Traveler
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well that was fun

Ex Eye - Ex Eye
    Schnauser - Irritant
    The Great Harry Hillman - Tilt
    Bubblemath - Edit Peptide
    AKKU Quintet - Aeon
    Prescott - Thing Or Two
    Yolk - Solar
    Yowie - Synchromysticism
    Mammal Hands - Animalia
    Tim Hecker - Love Streams
    The Fierce And The Dead - Field Recordings (live)
    Accordo dei Contrari - Violato Intatto
    Suburban Savages - Kore Wa!
    Aranis - Smells like Aranis
    Phlox - Keri
    Hidden Orchestra - Dawn Chorus
    Steve Roach - CORE - Legacy Edition
    Steve Roach - Traveler
    I'm Following you so I can stream your selections!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm Following you so I can stream your selections!
    You're very welcome
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You're very welcome
    Like a seagull that follows a fishing boat.

Thanks to Ken Golden I've discovered a new genre tag on Bandcamp: Voorhees Township:

https://bandcamp.com/tag/voorhees-to...ist=3339395209

Yeah! Gonna go spin some Voorhees...