Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roye Albrighton RIP

We didn't always see eye to eye, but he was a great guitar player and the legacy is some really fantastic albums, hugs to Mo, Mick, Ron and Taff xxx. RIP Roye

Oh bummer, just saw this thread.

RIP Roye,

So glad I got to see them in '75. Stunning show for this 16yo aspiring guitarist.

Nektar had apparently done a killer show in Nazareth, PA in '74 or '75 that was legendary among music and record store employees in the Lehigh Valley. As a kid, I heard about it several times from various guitar teachers and the like. But I never actually heard the music until I bought the Nearfest DVD and became a big fan. Roye really brought something original to the guitar-playing table. Not a speed guitarist or a melodic genius, but he sure could build up intensity and sustain interest. I felt sad that he never could really regain momentum with Nektar after that promising NF reunion. RIP.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    There will be a Tab in the Ocean at Chez Rick tonight. RIP. Glad I saw Nektar at Nearfest.

R.I.P. Roye.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Nektar had apparently done a killer show in Nazareth, PA in '74 or '75 that was legendary among music and record store employees in the Lehigh Valley.
    I was just in Nazareth this week. Home of Martin Guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Not a speed guitarist or a melodic genius, but he sure could build up intensity and sustain interest.
    He could certainly hold his own, though. I think one of his great strengths was in creating textures. "Summer Breeze" is a great example.
    Last edited by ronmac; 07-28-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Very, very sad news! One of my very favorite prog bands. I thought they were from Germany for years. I saw them in NY in the mid 70s. It was $8.50, which I thought
    was really expensive at the time! I dropped my first copy of Remember The Future (my favorite of theirs) down the stairs in my house growing up. I recall vividly watching it bounce
    down the stairs one by one where it broke in pieces upon its landing. Of course, I went and got another copy right away. I was so lucky to see the tour in 2011 in Santa Rosa, California.
    It was not well attended, but Roye, Ron and the band tore it up. I bought a poster and a Remember The Future t shirt. Everyone should own the DVD from that tour: https://www.amazon.com/Nektar-Space-...eywords=nektar.
    RIP Roye. Thanks for all the incredible music!

Big fan here. This sucks.
    The Prog Corner

Just to let everyone know that I am totally bummed out by the news, even if it wasn't entirely unexpected.
    His long and often painful fight was kept under wraps for years.... I respected his wishes for secrecy, despite thinking that Nektar fans would certainly have come through with prayers and sympathy if they had been made aware...
    Oh well. R.I.P my brother from the seventies, the legacy will live on through all the recordings from his long career both with and without Nektar.
    A STAR WENT DARK IN OUR SKY THIS WEEK.
    Thank you to everyone here for their thoughts... the pain is all over now.

RIP Roye I was fortunate to have seen them many times in the 70's....this one hurts Thanks for that Mick...our prayers are with his family
    Thinking is the best way to Travel....

Wow very sad news indeed. Recycled is in my top 10 of early Prog albums. I always enjoyed a Tab In The Ocean too. I recorded their Nearfest performance which I think is fantastic and was lucky enough to finally see them perform live a few years ago for the Psychedelic space tour here in Southern California. I hope Roye',s spirit will recycle to bring the world great music again. R.I.P.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Sad news. He will be missed.

Sorrow and shared hurt Mick, a loss for us all. Thanks for posting. We share your hurt and pain. Know that many here loved Roye, but also you, and what Nektar created in its lifetime.

Damn -- I know it will happen to all of us... I've been a listener since 1974/1975sh...

It's been a sad year, and unfortunately more will follow as time marches on.
    I've been a fan of the early Nektar albums since the 70's. I hope his playing will inspire young progressive minded guitarists to keep the focus on serving the music first and use a guitar solo to create feeling, mood and direction. Roye and Hackett come to mind first as players who thought a lot about their contributions and avoided showboating as a focal point. A great guitarist in my opinion is one who understands that what you play is just as important as what you don't play.

The 80's and 90's were tough times for progressive players which is a discussion in and of itself. I hope he had a great life outside of his music, because it certainly was great inside the music. It's a blessing to leave a legacy for future generations to enjoy, and enjoy they certainly will.

Very sad loss. I was lucky enough to catch them live on a great gig. He will be missed.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Nektar started me out on the prog odyssey I've been on for the past 7 years. I was bored with music and re-examining Iron Maiden when I heard their cover of "King of Twilight" and that was all it took. I was really hoping they would make it to the states one more time. RIP.

Listening to "Evolution" right now. Fucking great album and worthy of being right beside all the earlier classic ones.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RIP to a major talent.

Remember the Future forever.

How did I miss this thread?
    RIP Roye.

Nektar was my gateway to German prog.

Too bad it took a British band mislabeled as a German one to do it.

Never was a Nektar-fan, but I enjoyed his work on the live-sessions with Quantum Jump (released last year) and the new album from Jerry Goodman (Violin Fantasy).

Back in 2009, Nektar played an acoustic set back at the host hotel after the Sunday night of RosFest (I think they had played Saturday night). Roye started playing his acoustic guitar without saying a word with about 30 people in the room. I thought he was warming up at first, then I realized he was playing Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix. That's when I realized what a great guitar player he was.

As tired as I was after a weekend of RosFesting, I was so glad I didn't miss out on that extra hour with Nektar. I'll have to listen to Do You Believe in Magic a few times this weekend to relive that night. RIP Roye.

I think you are thinking of the show September 26 1974 at the Roxy Theater in Northampton, PA about 5 miles to the west of Nazareth. I know, I was there. It was the first time I used color film with no flash in a dark theater.

DAVE

RIP......

Not a huge fan of Nektar but I do remember the name back in the early 70s. A PE friend made me a few CDrs of the classic albums several years ago. Haven't played them in years. Time to play 'em again at some point.