Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Facebook.....social media in the 21st century

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post

I was already in escrow (with 10 days left to back out) on a perfectly fine but absolutely characterless home; then I saw Antler House, which was listed as "a starter home or weekend retreat" with absolutely no mention of the fact it's a pristine 1963 mid-century modern time capsule. I told my realtor this was a steal at the price and he agreed. This architectural style is getting harder to find and is always in demand, plus mid-century is one of my favorite styles, and to have those lines combined with a rustic cabin, well, it's pretty much a dream come true.

Beyond excited, thank you VA loan! Attachment 8120
    Congrats! (what, no Eichlers available when you were looking?)

I got into the style myself a few years ago. Just got a new place - an apartment, not a house, so furnishing it in the style I like is much more affordable. If all you need is 8-9 major pieces of furniture for the entire place, then you can pretty much get what you want. The building itself went up in 1967, so it's of the era.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Congrats! (what, no Eichlers available when you were looking?)

I got into the style myself a few years ago. Just got a new place - an apartment, not a house, so furnishing it in the style I like is much more affordable. If all you need is 8-9 major pieces of furniture for the entire place, then you can pretty much get what you want. The building itself went up in 1967, so it's of the era.
    Ha! A good friend of mine owns two Eichlers, one in Granada Hills and another in the Bay Area. Wonderful homes! I'm about, oh 30 years late to that particular party (the last I can remember of mid-century "name" architect homes still being reasonably priced was in the Palm Springs area late '90s early '2000s, the market since then has skyrocketed).

Congrats on your new apartment Facelift! I used to rent in a mid-century apartment building in Santa Monica in the mid-late 1980s, I left when the building was converted to condos. A few years later I found out Keith Emerson bought the unit next door to my old place. Have fun with the new place!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Jen ...that can be dangerous too. It's always good to be cautious. It's not good to worry about it...but good to apply basic measures. It's good to be practical and apply basic/normal caution and that doesn't differ from the caution one will typically use when crossing the street. Allowing basic caution to develop into extreme reaction causes paranoia to take over. Then you or I become consumed with negative energies. I tell the stories of my experiences, but I don't allow the experiences to control my life by getting emotionally charged over them. I approach them as I would doing a math problem on paper or working out a piece of music. Someone else's weird, demented agenda has to be approached with logic. People get too upset over stalkers, molesters..etc...because of the one thing they didn't do which is "thinking". You know that.... If everyone could take on the character of Columbo, (Peter Falk), it makes it a whole lot easier to handle. I am not bringing an argumentation to the table, just being a friend and looking out for you. However...I do respect the fact that you are a very independent type of person and don't want you to be mad at me.
    I have met Luciferians online and I met a self proclaimed one in person. The one in person tended to try to intimidate people, used threats and was stalking a friend of mine who was being generous to him. She had to get a restraining order on him. Trust me-I would have rather had to deal with him where I could have blocked him...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I have met Luciferians online and I met a self proclaimed one in person. The one in person tended to try to intimidate people, used threats and was stalking a friend of mine who was being generous to him. She had to get a restraining order on him. Trust me-I would have rather had to deal with him where I could have blocked him...
    I can understand that and you are pretty much right about it. I think I was angered by the idea of this guy using F.B. to weasel his way around our circle quicker than on feet and to top it off...he then showed his physical presence in the end. But he used Facebook to get an edge on everybody and then made his physical move and that pissed me off for some reason? Maybe because he was just all about "use, use, use" to get "more, more, more" . But I do see your point and with your situation you may have better results blocking someone.

Never done Facebook or Twatter. I'm good with PE.

*The Dark Elf liked this page"
    *The Dark Elf reacted to this page*
    *The Dark Elf commented on this page*
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I used to go on FB but now it is just annoying. I told my several cousins to just call or email if they had news or just wanted to talk. It did have a purpose to me of finding out about things going on with friends but you have to wade through a ton of useless bullshit like those inspirational posts, pictures of what people ate, pictures of their kids and pets and 75% of these people I DON'T KNOW! And then comes the worst.. the fucking politics. Allow me to let you all in on a little something; no matter how many lying-ass pie charts, graphs, quotes and other shit tacked into a FB post about whatever scum-bag politician or whatever political belief system there is, you ARE NOT going to change anyone's mind.
    And then if you do post something, some asshole will argue with you.

Me - "I'll tell you what, I do love me some crab cakes"
    Them - "How can you eat another living thing? How can you?"
    Them - " You're destroying the environment you racist!"

Fuck Facebook

I remain detached from F.B. I believe feeling uncomfortable about someone that follows your page because you shared a post with their friend is pretty normal and especially if you know that person and they give off a vibe of dislike for you. Why subject yourself to that? Another situation that creates awkwardness.....someone that you knew long ago is posting pictures of you. I like The Kinks and Ray Davies wrote a couple of songs about just how meaningless pictures can be. Once you delete your account and people never see your name again that really says something.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Not in my lifetime, but in most of yours, there will eventually be a site called Assbook.
    Isn't that Tumblr?

Banned
    Facebook is a mechanism for people to interact which is more efficient than what I was doing on Compuserve in 93. But Compuserve in 93 was nice because it was a relatively intelligent bunch of forums on different topics. FB makes it possible for groups of people or people to isolate themselves. What could kill it, will be the day when people become other people for deceptive purposes. However it's no more dangerous than real life interaction, except that payback for certain behaviors is delayed and not so smart folks could have real life intersect them using coordinates extracted from the virtual world. Technology will eventually make it possible for individuals to interact in virtual space, taking on virtual images. And if out physical body is connected to this virtual world, we could drive ourselves to heart disease, and we are likely doing that now. There was an IT guy at work who went by the name BURRON. That name is like a username derived from the first 3 letter of a last name followed by the first 3 letters of a last name. He would rock back and forth and type into a VAX workstation at a high rate. He spent all of his time at a computer, even at home. Died of heart attack at age 28.

FB is great for discovering people with shared interests, sometimes finding new interests, and keeping up with friends and family. Other than that it's mostly a waste of time and an invader of privacy. I too often get sucked in to debates and end up spending too much time on irrelevant crap. I'm making a concerted effort to spend less time there until the elections are over.

Plenty of little witch cults on Facebook. Those types of people who practice witchcraft or worship Satan because it makes them feel special. Narcissism with it's revolving door of vanity. You know? "My mysterious look will lure people in and inflate my ego" There are people in the world who have a personal interest in the spirit world and they stay private. They are not trying to impress anyone in particular. They accept the inevitable and they are rare. Their interest in the occult is based on curiosity and has nothing to do with having high ideals all of their life and being letdown. Instead of applying the occult to their own personal agenda, they stand in the shadows and observe. They don't.,...as a rule....put themselves on display and attempt to attract other people on Facebook.

They accept the fact that nature tells everyone in life to bite the big one and they don't have a motive behind their interest in the underworld. The narcissist 's though are annoyed by anything that takes attention away from them. They are usually the first people to cringe if someone has a intelligent conversation about the spirit world, cults or witchcraft. I don't perceive a conversation about the occult revealing secrets about anyone.,as if to say that everything should remain secretive. Yet they flaunt that world to make themselves feel they are doing something. I can't relate to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    FB is great for discovering people with shared interests, sometimes finding new interests, and keeping up with friends and family. Other than that it's mostly a waste of time and an invader of privacy. I too often get sucked in to debates and end up spending too much time on irrelevant crap. I'm making a concerted effort to spend less time there until the elections are over.
    Wise move.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Facebook is the only way I can communicate with my sister right now. She lives in Baton Rouge, which is underwater at the present time.

Do the PhD students take English classes?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Do the PhD students take English classes?
    No, but they takes them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The same firm will also pick up your car for service.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm on Facebook.
    I had to open an account for some reason or another. I haven't been back for at least 7 years, I wonder if it's still there ?

It's a must for bands/business these days. I understand completely. But in my case, I choose not to. (I do kit. & bath remodeling, lots of tile work). 20 + years ago I was using a photo album of jobs I've done, leaving it with potential customers. That was my 'facebook'. (I called it my 'idea' book). It's worked great. But it's gone now, replaced by a DVD I hand out now. Through quality work, I am now too busy all the time. There's only so much work one person can do.
    But I'm sure most of my jobs are on FB thru customer's posting to friends and relatives. So I'll still call FB my friend. Absolutely no downside at all for me.
    I've kept in touch with true friends for years w/o FB. 'Collecting' friends is alien to me. Everyone has my e-mail/phone no. and have no trouble contacting me. I am not inaccessible.

"I've told you already that to be inaccessible does not mean to hide or to be secretive," he said calmly. "It doesn't mean that you cannot deal with people either. A hunter uses his world sparingly and with tenderness, regardless of whether the world might be things, or plants, or animals, or people, or power. A hunter deals intimately with his world, and yet he is inaccessible to that same world."
    - quote : Carlos Castanada

I have out-grown FB.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    I'm on Facebook.
    I had to open an account for some reason or another. I haven't been back for at least 7 years, I wonder if it's still there ?
    Chances are that it's been hacked and spamming people under your name. Seems to happen a lot.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"