Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facebook.....social media in the 21st century

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I never heard of Facebook.
    This

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Facebook. How else can the Witch cults find you?
    QUIET, MINION! How can we carry out the conspiracy if you keep shooting your mouth off about it? Back in the oubliette, thrall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I'm on Facebook, because some people who wanted to keep in touch with me wanted it. In the end I hardly ever post anything. I think the only thing I posted was when I had my new homepage up. I'm thinking about using it to promote my music.

Having dedicated people for everything, like webdesign, promotion and coverdesigns, may be nice, but in the end the all want to get paid.

It's all in your perspective. My wife sometimes likes to post pictures of our meals, but that's because cooking is her main hobby. It's easy for someone else to look at it and say "big deal, she posted a picture of food, how vapid", but those who have tasted her cooking actually get jazzed up about it and start asking her questions about what it is, how she made it, etc. Same thing if I post a YouTube link to a song I like. Most think it's completely uninteresting and scroll on past. Also, there's no reason to conclude that everyone who posts a picture of themselves is a narcissist.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    How about some eye contact?
    Nah, I think thats way too time consuming, and could have more long lasting influences.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I was late to the fb game, signing up 2 to 3 years ago (or thereabouts...too many grey cells now to remember accurately). I'm glad I did. One's use and benefit from it directly correspond to: (1) your privacy and view settings, (2) your use of fb tools such as unfollowing friends, which I've made liberal use of!, (3) understanding your own tolerance and capacity for political and religious posts (jump into the fray if you enjoy such, and run like hell if you don't ) and (4) your mindset towards fb.

To Enid: based on what you've written so far, it doesn't seem like your mindset will allow you to enjoy using fb. Not that there's anything wrong with that - you are who you are.

I hardly ever post, but I do enjoy keeping up with people who are or have been a part of my life. For those I've unfollowed (one in particular) I can take a look at their page anytime to "catch up" on photos or posts that do interest me. I follow a few groups (a couple Prog related ones of course!), which is a great way to keep informed. I can choose how much I participate in conversation based on how much time I want to invest and what kind of online footprint I'm comfortable with leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    QUIET, MINION! How can we carry out the conspiracy if you keep shooting your mouth off about it? Back in the oubliette, thrall!

Sad how a bunch of molesters can dress in black hooded cloaks and perform S.R.A. on a child and get away with it because skeptics believe it's a global conspiracy that does not exist at all. I don't believe in the supernatural side to it. It's just an excuse to damage children. Skeptics seriously do not believe that a delusional person can dress up like Dracula and abuse somebody. They believe the garbage on the news though and many times put one hundred percent faith in journalists. Journalists print lies to make profit...just as they did when there were cult killings/crimes in our area. I understand your joking but the way victims of cult abuse are treated is pretty much a bad joke. Anyone can dress like that and abuse people in the woods. It doesn't mean that the devil is present.
    Last edited by Enid; 07-27-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are many social media experts who post on behalf of their clients. You should not have to become a FB user if you don't want to. Tell your manager that that is what publicists are for. Do musicians write their own press releases? No. Do they build their own websites or design their own CD covers? Usually only the shitty ones.
    That's what I was going to say. To the OP - your band absolutely should have a presence on Facebook (and every other major social media outlet). However if you, personally, don't want to be involved with it, then don't be. But do have somebody else doing this for you. It's tough enough out there for working musicians right now - no reason to make it even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Sad how a bunch of molesters can dress in black hooded cloaks and perform S.R.A. on a child and get away with it because skeptics believe it's a global conspiracy that does not exist at all. I don't believe in the supernatural side to it. It's just an excuse to damage children. Skeptics seriously do not believe that a delusional person can dress up like Dracula and abuse somebody. They believe the garbage on the news though and many times put one hundred percent faith in journalists. Journalists print lies to make profit...just as they did when there were cult killings in our area. I understand your joking but the way victims of cult abuse are treated is pretty much a bad joke. Anyone can dress like that and abuse people in the woods. It doesn't mean that the devil is present.
    I am aware.

Owners are a drag to deal with sometimes even if you bring in a crowd..lol! They were difficult to deal with in the 70's when I started, but now and in my area of South Jersey...they act as if the world owes them a living. We are beginning to play larger , higher paying venues in recent months . It's mostly based on someone putting the word out to the higher paying owners. If we play a place during the summer and it is not at the shore...we pack it. That ...I believe is the results of Facebook networking. However dealing with owners and getting the good gigs that pay decent cash is pretty much set up the same way it was in the 70's. It's who you know. I've seen several bands promote themselves on F.B. and getting nowhere. I believe it is a combination of the two. You never know what you'll be dealing with. You could pack a venue and at the end of the night the owner refuses to pay you....maybe because he/she does not like the color of a band member's skin or because he/she is cheap and designs excuses as to why they are unhappy with you so they can collect all of that money. You just never know what you are dealing with.

I remember in the 70's and 80's if an owner decided to blackball us or refuse to pay...our agent would arrive and threaten to pull all of his bands out of their venue unless they did what was fair. No one was ever in a position to mess with us then. Sometimes it's just "hands on" situations where you are protected by a staff. Facebook is good for your following though and has proven to be worthy. It's actually more of a dirty business once you've reached higher levels. It's insane. My first big taste of bitterness was when the soundman refused to turn up Alan Holdsworth's guitar...but mixed Al Dimeola's guitar perfectly. You basically had a lot of musicians in the audience that night complaining about the incident...but they were outnumbered by a majority of people who didn't seem to notice and who were unaware of Holdsworth ability anyway. Up staging...isn't it a bitch? Lol! Nobody cares and you have to survive it all by hanging in there and putting up with moronic situations...if you ever expect to get somewhere. Meh....it still goes on today as it did in the 70's. You have to stay positive . It's actually possible to do that through the worst of times. You may not like it...but by rocking the boat at a show..you will make yourself look worse than the person who is trying to make you look bad in the first place. You can catch more flies with honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I am aware.

I'm sure that you are....hope I haven't offended anybody. Hope they don't throw me off the site. We are not suppose to chat about a subject matter like that...am I correct? Sorry everyone. It won't happen again

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Nah, I think thats way too time consuming, and could have more long lasting influences.
    HEAVEN FORBID!

What really gets me is that people don't talk face-to-face much these days. They talk through their devices to each other. I got to networking events frequently, and you see people standing with each other, all staring at the phone and using it as the conduit of their conversation. If I ever run my own event, I will insist that guest check-in their phones at the counter in order to facilitate eye contact.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm sure that you are....hope I haven't offended anybody. Hope they don't throw me off the site. We are not suppose to chat about a subject matter like that...am I correct? Sorry everyone. It won't happen again
    if they do, it won't be because of me. I am not reporting anyone. It requires taking attention away from my intense hatred of Axl Rose...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    FB is very good for staying connected with friends who are spread out across the globe who you may only see at festivals or when you travel (eye contact is tough across 2000 miles). It's also great for finding new music and kindred spirits chatting. Don't take it too seriously. Just a little interaction can go a long way. I've discovered a ton of new music and been to a bunch of gigs I wouldn't have found out about without it (or some other similar platform)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    FB is very good for staying connected with friends who are spread out across the globe who you may only see at festivals or when you travel (eye contact is tough across 2000 miles). It's also great for finding new music and kindred spirits chatting. Don't take it too seriously. Just a little interaction can go a long way. I've discovered a ton of new music and been to a bunch of gigs I wouldn't have found out about without it (or some other similar platform)
    And you are certainly into great music. I've been picking up a lot of it and it's exciting music. Holds my attention completely.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    And you are certainly into great music. I've been picking up a lot of it and it's exciting music. Holds my attention completely.
    Glad to help it's been a hell of of good trip.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I only got a facebookprofile because more and more artists, companies and organisations use facebook for news updates. I cannot imagine I will ever put any private stuff on it. Basically I just use it to spy on people. Do not really need any friends

I too have yet to see the up-side of having a FB account.

Reasons:
    I'm extremely private...would NEVER consider posting about the ins-and-outs of my daily life.
    Have zero interest in reconnecting with peeps from the past. (I keep in touch with friends via email, texting)
    Don't have spare time (or interest) to read about other peoples inane postings and brain farts.
    The less potential for Big Brother to monitor my life the better.

....So, ENID, I'm with you there.

It is what it is, here's my take:

Pros:

Amazing for upcoming gigs, events and festivals in my region. Can't tell you how many excellent bands and club events I would have missed not being on Facebook
    Cooking and drinking private groups: worldwide input, spam and bullshit free Facebook groups that cater to my love for good food and drink - invaluable recommendations
    Family: the wife's family primarily (Europe) . . . keeping in daily touch, photos of new family members, updates, etc
    Work benefits - we push out new publications, books and manuscripts to outside institutions for their review and possible inclusion into their academic programs

Cons:

The occasional political or religious banter. My group of friends really don't use Facebook as a soapbox all that much - I see little in this regard
    Privacy - you just have to adjust the settings within the application to determine what to share, and to whom . . . it's pretty easy.

I really don't keep in touch with that many old friends - but there are a few that share my same philosophies . . . it's all good there.

If you're a lazy computer user that stays logged into (let's say) shopping sites like Amazon, eBay, etc . . . then Facebook will read/analyze your cookies and pump advertising along those lines. Be careful and log-out of shopping sites, clear cookies . . . then Facebook remains clean. Keep your passwords strong (like any other web site) and you'll be fine.

It's easy to piss away a LOT of time on Facebook following links/posts/suggestions . . .

JK

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post

Reasons:
    I'm extremely private...would NEVER consider posting about the ins-and-outs of my daily life.
    Have zero interest in reconnecting with peeps from the past. (I keep in touch with friends via email, texting)
    Don't have spare time (or interest) to read about other peoples inane postings and brain farts.

They have Cross Stitch World and Ancient Aliens the Game...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post

Reasons:

That's interesting. Ido have the same feelings about it. Really interesting viewpoints you have made. I'm sure our position is considered paranoia when in fact it's more about privacy. Privacy is a luxury ...a real enjoyment, a beauty in life. What we don't desire and what we often give resistance to is often labeled or connected to paranoia. In some cases...with some people...this is not true and it just looks that way to those around us. My neighbors have expressed to my relatives that I am anti-social. I mow the lawn, trim weeds, paint the house, play ball with the kids...but I DO wave ..say hello to them. So it's not a situation like in "The Burbs" movie where Tom Hanks looks out the window at his neighbor's house and says: "They've been here for a month, you think there gonna do something about there lawn?" I keep a clean yard ..but I don't like to discuss much when it leads to a motive or a judgement. My "M.O." states that I am a drug addict. That's not possible because I wouldn't be here today. Additionally that is not possible because I play Classical music and during the 60's and 70's when most of my schoolmates were being treated for psychiatric problems from taking too much LSD, I was a student of Classical music. Because my reputation as a musician is quite established in many circles , people in general...approach me with an abundance of confidence in saying that I did every drug on the street. In the real world, if you counted the amount of times I DID try drugs during my youth, it would equal to about two months over a 40 year period and that doesn't equal a pimple on a junkie's ass. Drugs don't have to have anything to do with music. That's moronic to me. But...that is one reason why I avoid people in general. They confuse my stare with drugs, my walk with drugs, my personality makes them anxious in a room...etc... That is their problem,,,their "on going" problem for the whole of my life. Don't get me wrong, I thought the music of the 60's and 70's was brilliantly creative, but my sister's hippie friends when I was 13...were all about pressuring me to do drugs. That I never agreed with. Evidently my friends did and look what happened to them as a result. Believe it or not, I have avoided people in general...all of my life for that reason. Because of my "M.O." they consistently associated me with something I've always hated. I just don't want to hear about it anymore so I remain in the shadows. They stand before me and say..."Wow, I remember when you used to do all kinds of drugs....wow, you were always high" As they say this...my mind drifts back to my childhood friends that took LSD in the early 70's and never came back to reality. I become angered. I remember a girl I was close to and how she was in a mental hospital scratching her face and rocking back and forth because she took too much LSD. I got the same reaction on Facebook due to my "M.O." People think it's a big joke until it happens to them. Nevertheless, that is one of the main reasons why I avoid almost everybody on my block or in the store shopping. "Rune Blackwings" is a cool person I met many years ago. She would understand, but everyone else around me doesn't . I consider myself a misfit..lol!

Jefferson James
    Been there, posted extremely personal stuff, promoted myself and my band, and am currently on FB hiatus. I'm sure I'll be back at some point but for now the break is incredibly liberating.

It can feel like too much of an obligation. I made a point to personally interact with anyone who mentioned my music but after 5 or 6 years of that, I just ran out of steam, it became impossible to keep up on a one-to-one basis. At my level having a band page means nothing if I don't pay FB to promote my posts, which I won't. It's the same as here: the legacy artists attract 99% of the attention so why bother? I gave it a shot, it worked to a certain extent (got some festival slots and sold some records), but it also directly led to the dissolution of my last band, so there it is.

It's what you make of it but it is by no means essential. You will make more fans playing gigs and interacting with the attendees face to face that you ever will via FB. It's a cool way to keep up on what friends are doing but as a promotional tool, you're out there with the 5,000,000,000 other bands doing the same thing.

Strange how so many lament how "mysterious" artists used to be and how FB removed the "mystique" and rendered the artists human, less interesting, but then they insist the artists be present. No win.

In the end I realized all my elaborately written posts were simply free content for FB, I was providing entertainment without being paid for my time. The tie-ins with Amazon, et al, is also exceptionally invasive.

Face it, we're in a global Big Brother society and FB is a major surveillance tool, as well as a brilliant format for fostering political and religious divisiveness. It's a major distraction and a way of keeping the masses from questioning the hierarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Been there, posted extremely personal stuff, promoted myself and my band, and am currently on FB hiatus. I'm sure I'll be back at some point but for now the break is incredibly liberating.

It can feel like too much of an obligation. I made a point to personally interact with anyone who mentioned my music but after 5 or 6 years of that, I just ran out of steam, it became impossible to keep up on a one-to-one basis. At my level having a band page means nothing if I don't pay FB to promote my posts, which I won't. It's the same as here: the legacy artists attract 99% of the attention so why bother? I gave it a shot, it worked to a certain extent (got some festival slots and sold some records), but it also directly led to the dissolution of my last band, so there it is.

It's what you make of it but it is by no means essential. You will make more fans playing gigs and interacting with the attendees face to face that you ever will via FB. It's a cool way to keep up on what friends are doing but as a promotional tool, you're out there with the 5,000,000,000 other bands doing the same thing.

Strange how so many lament how "mysterious" artists used to be and how FB removed the "mystique" and rendered the artists human, less interesting, but then they insist the artists be present. No win.

In the end I realized all my elaborately written posts were simply free content for FB, I was providing entertainment without being paid for my time. The tie-ins with Amazon, et al, is also exceptionally invasive.

Face it, we're in a global Big Brother society and FB is a major surveillance tool, as well as a brilliant format for fostering political and religious divisiveness. It's a major distraction and a way of keeping the masses from questioning the hierarchy.
    Truly interesting! Thanks for this post!

Another somewhat interesting topic that I should have avoided on F.B. was S.R.A. abuse. It just didn't fly and I was very stupid to think anyone would understand it. What is defined as S.R.A. abuse is centuries old. It's been going on for hundreds of years. The 80's "Satanic Panic" was to a degree designed to put fear in people's minds through the publications industry. When my childhood friends experienced it they displayed dissociative behavior. Dissociative behavior is when a person takes on a different personality to avoid the one that was tortured or raped. Typically it occurs with children who are abused by cults...but there are rare cases where a 13 or 14 year old experiences a mild form of S.R.A. abuse. That could mean they were forced by cult members to witness it inflicted upon their friends and or..the cult did disturbing things to them that later in life caused nightmares and a bad case of insomnia. Not every single case of S.R.A. abuse derives from the victims family. Typically it does, but there are cases where youths are captured by cult members and forced to do horrific things. It can happen that way too. The pattern observed for years is based on family members inflicting abuse to the child, but that within itself is not an exact science. I have helped different S.R.A. victims to face their fears and proceed in moving on with their life. I have a more mild form of S.R.A. abuse where upon I am connected to real experiences. People who have been abused in this way appreciate support because the more support they get, the more they can move on with their life. The most successful method of helping them is to sit in private and converse. It usually doesn't fly too well on Facebook. That was the mistake I made. It's difficult for them to reach out and find love and compassion from other's in society. Most people don't even believe that a human can be abused that way. There are certain websites where they desperately reach out for validation but I believe that human contact is the best solution for "on going" triggers and personality disorders in general. Many of them have escaped cults that were their family and several were abused by cults and hid who they were for years. F.B. , (to my knowledge), is not a place for that kind of therapy. Their main problem is exposing themselves on the internet , expecting to get love and support...but because their testimony is global like that they are being observed by a host of humans which is defeating as opposed to a private session where their life is most likely validated.

I have been known to post on FB
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.