Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yessongs The Concert - Tribute Band in Chicago

Yessongs The Concert - Tribute Band in Chicago

New YES cover and at the Arcada Theater, St. Charles (Chicago) on November 19th.

Anyone seen these guys, they played a couple gigs in Canada? Their website looks to be in the works for content.

The band YES, renowned for their remarkable live performances and symphonic stage dynamism, YES produced their seminal audio and visual experience “YES SONGS” in 1972, which captured the group at the height of their success. YES SONGS has re-created this stunning audio and visual masterpiece…from the stage set and layout to the lighting, costumes, set list and music, even the uncanny resemblance of the performers to the original band! No detail is too small, and no note is left un played.

THE HYPE TOURING AGENCY HAS DILIGENTLY AND PAINSTAKINGLY RECREATED THIS AUDIO VISUAL MASTERPEICE DOWN TO THE LAST DETAIL.
    STARRING: PHIL NARO, MATT RIDDLE, MIKE BARRINGTON, JOHN KASTELIC, CHRIS MEEKER, AND MARLENE O NEIL

http://www.yessongstheconcert.com/tour-dates.html

http://www.arcadalive.com/events/yessongs/

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Anyone seen these guys, they played a couple gigs in Canada? Their website looks to be in the works for content.
    They played here in Ottawa last year but I passed considering the $60 ticket price (and 90-minute round trip between my house and the venue).

Sorry, had to chuckle when I read "uncanny resemblance of the performers to the original band" and then saw "Jon" in the subsequent photo.

Sounds damn good. I'd see them.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yeah, they sound great. Missed the show, didn't hear about till now, in Ottawa.

"Wakeman" is hiding under a wig and cape, never to be seen. They do sound good though.

Heart Of The Sunrise:

Close To The Edge:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    They played here in Ottawa last year but I passed considering the $60 ticket price (and 90-minute round trip between my house and the venue).

Sorry, had to chuckle when I read "uncanny resemblance of the performers to the original band" and then saw "Jon" in the subsequent photo.
    The guitarist actually reminded me of JA more then the singer. They sound very good. They do a good job with the look/gear/stage setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Monica Lewinsky on bass.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

STARRING: PHIL NARO, MATT RIDDLE, MIKE BARRINGTON, JOHN KASTELIC, CHRIS MEEKER, AND MARLENE O'NEIL
    Okay here's an odd one:

Notice how many names are listed as band members. Then notice how many people appear onstage. It's not the same, by one. Also, notice how strong "Jon's" high notes are, even the stratospheric ones. What do you want to bet that Marlene O'Neill (noted primarily as a gospel singer on her own, but also a professional session vocalist) stands offstage and does a "Marni Nixon" - hitting the high notes for "Jon"?

Never seen the band, but have seen vocalist Phil Naro as a member of Backhand at ProgDay a few years ago. He has a great voice. He is also the lead vocalist for Canadian prog band Drukfarben (I may have that spelled wrong) as well.

I had the same reaction. He sounds good though, think I actually prefer his voice to Davison's - not so thin and nasal.

Notice how many names are listed as band members. Then notice how many people appear onstage. It's not the same, by one. Also, notice how strong "Jon's" high notes are, even the stratospheric ones. What do you want to bet that Marlene O'Neill (noted primarily as a gospel singer on her own, but also a professional session vocalist) stands offstage and does a "Marni Nixon" - hitting the high notes for "Jon"?
    I did notice the female name listed there and was wondering what that was about. Don't know how a female gospel singer could be singing certain notes for the lead singer without the difference in timbre being immediately noticeable.
    I would have thought it's more likely she's providing additional backing vocals if their "Howe" and "Squire" are not strong enough singers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    He sounds good though, think I actually prefer his voice to Davison's - not so thin and nasal.
    I have the same reaction. His timber is easier to digest, and may actually be closer to how Anderson sounded in 72 even though he's not a dead-ringer.

I bought 2 box seats for my wife & I at the show, very pricey for a tribute band, but that's the Arcada Theater which is ALWAYS over priced. They charge the same if you were seeing The Strawbs or Ace Frehley or a Zeppelin Tribute Band.

My only "sigh" about this, is that's it's exactly 2 weeks after ARW play in Chicago. Perhaps a good comparison though.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Okay here's an odd one:

My guess was that she is "Wakeman".

I did notice the female name listed there and was wondering what that was about. Don't know how a female gospel singer could be singing certain notes for the lead singer without the difference in timbre being immediately noticeable.
    I would have thought it's more likely she's providing additional backing vocals if their "Howe" and "Squire" are not strong enough singers.
    If she's an expert session vocalist, she probably could sound like Anderson if she was asked to. I've read that Marni Nixon sometimes sang only one line, or one phrase, or even one note that Audrey Hepburn or whoever was playing the part in the movie couldn't hit, and she could duplicate their timbre well enough to sound seamless.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Then why are there six people listed? Also, playing Wakeman's parts is a somewhat more specialized skill than just singing Anderson's lines - especially for someone whose own musical style is wildly different from that of Yes. And while a skilled session keyboardist could probably read those parts, he or she would need sheet music to do so, and I don't see any onstage.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Matt Riddle is Wakeman. He's actually one of my Facebook friends, but I don't know him personally nor do I think we ever spoke. He may have liked my page because of my Emerson cover art. He's really a great keyboard player, I've seen some clips he posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Monica Lewinsky on bass.
    And doubles on The Clinton Tenor Meat Stick in Eb.

That's exactly what I was thinking. There are plenty of middle-aged dudes that can play Squire's parts, but not a lot that can also sing like him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Never seen the band, but have seen vocalist Phil Naro as a member of Backhand at ProgDay a few years ago. He has a great voice. He is also the lead vocalist for Canadian prog band Drukfarben (I may have that spelled wrong) as well.
    I knew that name sounded familiar. Druckfarben is a cool band. Ed Bernard is a super talented guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Okay here's an odd one:

I'm assuming your comment is in jest, but if not, Phil Naro has an amazing voice, and can quite easily hit all those notes by himself, with no assistance...of any kind. If there is any additional singers, it would likely be to add harmonies live, or to sing the Squire parts. Just saying.

neil

Odd..............I found her webpage................even a mention of a Yes tribute................but no more info..............

http://www.marleneoneill.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    Odd..............I found her webpage................even a mention of a Yes tribute................but no more info..............

http://www.marleneoneill.com/
    Obviously she'll be singing "The Great Gig In The Sky"...

I'll be there!! The best of the best songs- played up to tempo!!! Big fan of Matt Ridley (of Going for the One who I have seen several times).
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Matt Riddle is Wakeman. He's actually one of my Facebook friends, but I don't know him personally nor do I think we ever spoke. He may have liked my page because of my Emerson cover art. He's really a great keyboard player, I've seen some clips he posted.
    Yeah, I watched a few more clips of them and in one, it is clear that Wakeman is a fella. Very impressive band. I think they have the early 70s Yes vibe down pat. Who knows, the way things are going, maybe in a few years they will *be* Yes.

Musically this is really good!

The wigs and such are not very convincing though. Almost borders on parody since they still don't really look like the guys they are emulating, save for Wakeman. When did Alan have black hair, for example? The guitarist looks like Jon too, so that's a little confusing.....

Still, musically they got it goin' on!

This has been bugging me ever since this thread started.....where do I know the name Matt Riddle from?

It finally just came to me. He used to be the keyboard player in another Yes tribute band called Envision. They played the ProgDay Friday night pre-show at Go Rehersal Studios opening for After The Fall in 1999. I am pretty sure he also served as ProgDay's keyboard tech that year as well. I remember Envision being really good. They had a female vocalist who's last name was also Riddle. Seems like she was Matt's sister, but I could be wrong on that.

Matt Riddle read this PE thread and has asked me (on Facebook) to post this podcast interview he did recently, where he talks about YESSONGS THE CONCERT.

http://mulryne.com/yesmusicpodcast/a...tt-riddle-234/

Incidentally, there some other cool YES related podcasts on there, like ARW drummer Lou Molino, and Jay Schellen on filling in for Alan White.