Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pineapple Thief album (With Gavin Harrison)

Thank you very much! I'm now following your blog too! Looks neat!

I love Pineapple Thief (have all the records except one). The addition of Gavin Harrison in this record is a plus. This record is energetic (thanks to Gaving Harrison's drumming), with good music, melodies and lyrics, but for some reason didn't like it. I asked myself several times why is that. Then realized it: the singing. I always liked Bruce Soord's voice in all his previos efforts. In Your Wilderness he change his singing style (kind of of a wheening voice) that really bothers me. Reading the previous posts it seems that not much of you are bothered by this, but, in may case is a no, no.

I'm on TPT mailing list and read that the band may be planning a US tour. So I wrote an email to their contact, and Bruce Soord replied himself! Here's his reply and my reply to him. I hope he joins us here
    and if he does, I'd encourage all left coasters to see TPT, a truly great band!

Hi Dennis

Thanks for your email - it's actually looking more likely now that we may come to LA next year. In fact, I might be in LA this November, more news on that soon once all the logistics have been sorted.

Cheers!

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info. You would really make this old-prog (62) geezer a happy man. You are a superb songwriter as well as a gifted musician. The rest of TPT rocks too! Please let me know if you will be here at some type of venue in November. By the way I love your song November! And the new album is great! 8 Years Later is beautiful and in my opinion one of the best things that TPT has done. Congratulations! By the way I'd like to invite you to chime in about your music on one of the biggest progressive rock website forums on the net, Progressive Ears. Many prog artists are on the forum to help market their products and answer any fan questions. Even Steven Wilson was on the forum for awhile, but we haven't heard from him lately. Just guessing he's too busy? Anyway you may want to check it out as time allows. I go by the name of AncientChord. Here's the link: www.progressiveears.org/forum/forum.php Thanks again, especially for your personal reply. Looking forward to hearing from you again, and I wish you and the band continuing success and recognition.

Best,
    Dennis
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    I love Pineapple Thief (have all the records except one). The addition of Gavin Harrison in this record is a plus. This record is energetic (thanks to Gaving Harrison's drumming), with good music, melodies and lyrics, but for some reason didn't like it. I asked myself several times why is that. Then realized it: the singing. I always liked Bruce Soord's voice in all his previos efforts. In Your Wilderness he change his singing style (kind of of a wheening voice) that really bothers me. Reading the previous posts it seems that not much of you are bothered by this, but, in may case is a no, no.
    On the Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie) side of things. And I love it!!!
    The Prog Corner

I'm a big fan of Death Cab For Cutie (Little Wanderer was my song of the year in 2015). I have net made the connection, but have only had a few spins of the new Pineapple Thief so far. I liked it well enough but have net yet even it enough attention. My favourite of theirs remains Tightly Unwound, but to be honest each release has been strong.

I'm really enjoying this one. A bit more melancholy than the last one, and employing Gavin Harrison was a brilliant move. I'd love to hear him get inside some of the material from Magnolia...the drumming on that outing was a bit sterile, IMHO.
    Here's to hoping a tour with him on the kit is in the offing.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymania View Post
    I'm really enjoying this one. A bit more melancholy than the last one, and employing Gavin Harrison was a brilliant move. I'd love to hear him get inside some of the material from Magnolia...the drumming on that outing was a bit sterile, IMHO.
    Here's to hoping a tour with him on the kit is in the offing.
    I might be mistaken because I've not heard it, but I thought I read somewhere that GH played drums on some songs on Magnolia?

Yep, they've announced that GH will be touring with them, at least in the UK.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-15088298

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I might be mistaken because I've not heard it, but I thought I read somewhere that GH played drums on some songs on Magnolia?
    No he did not.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yep, they've announced that GH will be touring with them, at least in the UK
    Cool! Not much chance I'll get to actually SEE that, but here's to hoping that I may get to hear some of those 'reimagined' numbers from their back catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Listened last night. Back to prog roots? Slightly, but not full throttle. Gavin Harrison's inclusion to me gives them a bit more of a Porcupine Tree sound. I do like it better than the last few releases, but IMO their earlier albums were more intense and proggy. Longer songs, lots of mellotron, darker lyrics. Still a great band though.
    So this just popped into my inbox:

TPT-YW-tour-poster-500px.jpg

When was the last time the hype around a band's tour was because of the drummer?!

But wouldn't it also be funny if TPT gets Gavin to stick around, and then they get a boost by filling the void from Porcupine Tree's absence? I personally don't see Bruce Soord filling SW's shoes in that regard, but more power to 'em I guess.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My post above^^^^^was prior to me listening to 8 Years Later. That's a whole different story. Very proggish, and more like their earlier albums. It's a big plus!

I feel this is their best one yet. The lyrics, drumming, harmonies are all so strong. GODSTICKS guitarist Darran Charles plays the more complex guitar parts, but having Gavin on drums adds more to their sound than I thought it would.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

It is indeed very good. And the bonus disc with the special edition is exceptional

I liked All the Wars, but I get the feeling it didn't do very well. Not as good as, Someone Here is Missing.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not sure I think their arc is forward, Bruce has said in a few places that the new one is doing very well too. Quite what that means in terms of sales these days I don't know, but I think they are gathering speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Jon Neudorf
    Love Your Wilderness. A fine album. Looking forward to the live album as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Love Your Wilderness. A fine album. Looking forward to the live album as well.
    Me too.

Seem to be very much more popular in other areas of the world than their native country. But having said that they are selling out gigs at home now.

Never get the Radiohead comparisons. Maybe others hear stuff i dont. Or maybe its about how they look rather than sound.

As i mentioned before, th ebonus disc that came with Your Wilderness is exceptional if you are not familiar with it

Well I guess TPT is milking the Gavin Harrison cow, and I don't blame them. Bruce Soord and his highly talented band deserve to investigate all avenues that will lead them to future recognition. I still can't believe as to the how and why this band isn't much bigger than they should be? IMO The Pineapple Thief is still one of the best kept secrets in the world of Alternative English prog. I don't even see much talk about them on this web site. C'mon people give them a try...great songwriting, modern prog with some very dark twists. Geez, they've been around for nearly 20 years now. Gavin is just the iceing on the cake IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    We've been appointed as the exclusive North American source for the upcoming 3 disc hardbound edition of "Your Wilderness" by The Pineapple Thief.
    Street Date is August 12th.

Preorder info is here:

http://www.lasercd.com/cd/your-wilde...rdback-edition
    Yeah, that doesn't work for me, and when I search your site for PT, it says 'Page Not Found' as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Well I guess TPT is milking the Gavin Harrison cow, and I don't blame them. Bruce Soord and his highly talented band deserve to investigate all avenues that will lead them to future recognition. I still can't believe as to the how and why this band isn't much bigger than they should be? IMO The Pineapple Thief is still one of the best kept secrets in the world of Alternative English prog. I don't even see much talk about them on this web site. C'mon people give them a try...great songwriting, modern prog with some very dark twists. Geez, they've been around for nearly 20 years now. Gavin is just the iceing on the cake IMO.
    Agreed - Bruce is a talented songwriter and many gems in the TPT back catalog. Amazing that they aren't more popular. The latest album Your Wilderness is also one of their best. I do hear some similarity to Radiohead but certainly not copycat.

From their 2008 album Tightly Unwound

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't work for me, and when I search your site for PT, it says 'Page Not Found' as well.
    That particular edition sold out a long time ago. But LaserCD does have other versions of the album and lots of other Pineapple Thief: https://www.lasercd.com/search_results?f[0]=cp_artist1:878

I just got the audio last night but haven't watched the DVD yet. The audio is superb in every aspect from performance to production and yes Gavin Harrison really uplifts the band. I'm also happy that they now have another guitarist that mainly plays acoustic like in their younger years, those years being my favorite. Add to my ears the audio versions of the songs from your wilderness are much better live. The only older songs are remember us and part zero from the variations on a dream album from 2003. That was the album that opened my eyes to this great band. They're finally starting to get it but I think they could still have more recognition.