Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which songs should have made the cut ?

Which songs should have made the cut ?

Over recent years we have had numerous re-issues that have been expanded with extra tracks that didnt make the original album . Which songs do you think were too good not to have made the final cut ?

The ones that immediatly come to mind is Marillion's 'Going Under' which is better than some of the songs on 'Clutching at Straws'. Similiarly 'Cinderella Search' is better than half of 'Fugazi'.

Yes's 'Dear Father' should have made 'Time & a Word' & 'Somethings Coming' should have made the debut!
    On the other hand, I like the song 'Money' but can understand why it was left off GFTO .
    Last edited by Rufus; 01-21-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Most of Genesis' B-sides.

Marillion had quite a few: "The Bell in the Sea" and "The Release" from Season's End, "How Can it Hurt," "You Don't Need Anyone," and "I Will Walk on Water" from Holidays in Eden especially.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Some more ...

Deep Purple-'When A Blind Man Cries' should have made 'Machine Head'. Probably instead of 'Never Before'.
    Uriah Heep -'Sunshine', instead of 'One Day' should have made 'Sweet Freedom'. The unedited version of 'Pilgrim' should have...well, been left unedited!

Yes-agree that the ambient beginning of 'The Revealing Science of God' was left off !
    Last edited by Rufus; 01-21-2013 at 06:23 AM.

I'd replace smoke on the water with blind man. I like never before. Most of Tulls remasters have 2 or 3 or more bonus tracks I like more than album songs. For example on warchild, I like almost every bonus track more than half the album songs

Good call on Uriah Heep's 'WHY'. That song dates back to the Look at Yourself sessions so could easily have replaced something like "I Wanna be Free".

Would have put "I Ain't No Baby" on UFO's "Strangers in the Night" album instead of "I'm a Loser" . Glad its on the expanded remaster !

Can think of least 5 songs on the PF's "The Final Cut" that are worse than 'When the Tigers Broke Free '! Can't understand why this was thought as strong enough for a single release but not good enough for the album ?
    Last edited by Rufus; 01-21-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Some more ...
    Deep Purple-When A Blind Man Cries should have made Machine Head. Probably instead of Never Before.

Uriah Heep -Sunshine, instead One Day should have made Sweet Freedom. The unedited version of Pilgrim should also of made it.

Yes-agree that the ambient beginning of The Revealing Science of God was leftoff !

I believe it was on a Classic Album DVD review of Machine Head that Ian Gillian said in reference to When a Blind Man Cries that "Ritchie no like". Thought that was pretty funny.

Genesis - You Might Recall, The Day The Light Went Out, Submarine, Evidence Of Autumn and Open Door should have all been on their respective albums.

Marillion - Tux On, The Bell In The Sea

So many Tull cuts!!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

*Inside and Out* would have been the best song on *Wind and Wutthering*. Which is itself a truly great album.

Marillion for sure. Pretty much the whole "B-Sides Themselves" album could have made a regular album. "The Bell And The Sea" of course is another one.

Porcupine Tree's "Recordings" album of outakes is all quality stuff which could have been album cuts.

Fleetwood Mac's "Silver Spring" was not a part of the original "Rumours" album, but is a great song.

The Who's "Long Live Rock" was never an album cut.

Steve Sly

Yeah...'Who`s Next' could easily have been a double . So many great songs didn't make it...Water ,Naked Eye , Pure & Easy , Too Much of Anything etc etc etc!Similarly, preferred the initial intended track listing for 'Ziggy Stardust' . So many great songs didn't make it...Velvet Goldmine ,John i`m Only Dancing, Sweet Head , Round & Round etc ! Apparently the final track listing was a last minute decision!
    Last edited by Rufus; 01-21-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    *Inside and Out* would have been the best song on *Wind and Wutthering*. Which is itself a truly great album.
    Good call.

To each their own, of course. I like "Inside And Out", nice classic Genesis instrumental second half a la "Cinema Show", etc... but the best song on Wind And Wuthering? Not for me. I would prefer it in place of "Your Own Special Way" though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Most of Jethro Tull's outtakes and b-sides would have been great on albums. But then we wouldn't have the "20 Years" box set.
    Rufus made two interesting comments. One i don't agree with that Dear Father would have fit on Time and a Word I don't think it's that great but there are actually a couple of interesting versions of it on the Rhino remaster. Then his comment that Something's Coming would have been good on the s/t debut is one that I agree with. I had never thought of it before but I think you could almost replace Harold Land with that one if it weren't for the fact that then there would be three covers and that might have made them seem like a Vanilla Fudge clone. And the Yesyears box set might not have been worth $40.

Santana ~ "Mantra" on Welcome
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Maybe Tull does have the richest finds on any cutting room floor...

I can't agree about Genesis' W&W vs. "Inside And Out." There are some seriously weak moments on Wuthering, but I don't feel that the 3 tracks on Spot The Pigeon are any stronger. I enjoy them all, but they all have a thow-away quality to my ears. Even "I&O" strikes me as a "Cinema Show" clone, but with terrible lyrics and a Yes-styled solo section. I think W&W was the album where Genesis began sculpting their "image," leaving certain material off in favor of obviously weak(er) songs that move their repertoire in certain directions... Including "Whodunnit" is a later example. It sounded un-Genesis-like, so it got the nod. Can't say I blame them for not wanting to repeat themselves. It also makes things more interesting for us fans & collectors!
    Brian D.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Marillion had quite a few: "The Bell in the Sea" and "The Release" from Season's End, "How Can it Hurt," "You Don't Need Anyone," and "I Will Walk on Water" from Holidays in Eden especially.
    I agree about the Season's End B sides (even if the live versions tend to be better, imho). But I can't really agree about the Holidays in Eden B sides you mention - and, actually, "I will walk on water" doesn't count as one of those; it was a new track recorded a year later for the 'Six of One, Half a Dozen of the Other' compilation (along with 'Sympathy'). The two Holidays B sides you mention are, for me, quite poor. But, on the other hand, "The Collection" (another Holidays B side) is one of the best songs they've ever done - that should definitely have been on the album. :-)

I'm not sure "Inside and Out" should have been on Genesis' Wind & Wuthering, but I love the album (sorry, but it isn't weak to my ears), and I also love "Inside and Out". The rest of the 'Spot the Pigeon' EP isn't that great though, and certainly gives hints of why Hackett and the rest of the band were destined to follow different paths.

Can't agree with that. It's not a bad song by any means, but I don't think it's as good as ""11th Earl", "Blood on the Rooftops", and the Wuthering Heights suite.

"It's Yourself" should have been on A Trick of the Tail, but there's nothing I'd drop from the album to make way for it.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

90125 expanded version had a couple of cuts that were every bit as good as several of the cuts included. Can't think of the titles at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    90125 expanded version had a couple of cuts that were every bit as good as several of the cuts included. Can't think of the titles at the moment.
    Certainly the intro to 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' when played live should have been included on the studio cut!

There's a song called 'Make it Easy' on the expanded edition that is better than 'City of Love' IMO !

Similiarly, I can't understand why they edited 'The Calling' from 'Talk' that''s on the expanded edition !
    Last edited by Rufus; 01-21-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Certainly the intro to 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' when played live should have been included on the studio cut!

There's a song called 'Make it Easy' on the expanded edition that is better than 'City of Love' IMO !

Similiarly, I can't understand why they edited 'The Calling' from Talk that''s on the expanded edition !
    It's Over is another one that could have made the grade. But I'm also one of those who would love to hear the full version of Cinema as well.

Didn't realise there was a longer version of 'Cinema'
    Is this available on a boot or anything ?

Who actually has artistic control over an albums final cut...the band, the producer, the label, bit of all three ????

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    On 'Duke', I think 'Evidence Of Autumn' especially was stronger than 'Misunderstanding' and 'Alone Tonight', but then '...Autumn' does sound quite similar to 'Heathaze' to me, so I'll let them off. 'Abacab'...again, great material buried on singles, 'You Might Recall' is better than half of the album. 'Feeding The Fire' should have been on 'Invisible Touch' instead of 'Anything She Does'. 'We Can't Dance' left off the very good 'On The Shoreline' whilst including all those samey MOR ballads.
    Totally agree! Ditto Rufus' inital observations re Cinderella Search, Going Under and Lady Nina. Freaks was pretty good to, as was Tux On. Also agree with manyof you that Tull have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to "lost gems", not just those which appeared on 20th box set but also the 25th & Nightcap releases.

For my own tuppenceworth, I'd have to say Roxy Music were slightly remiss by leaving off Virginia Plain from their debut album (in Europe at least), then doing so again with Pyjamarama which should have been on For Your Pleasure. The US version of RM had Virginia on it, as does the CD, but I personally feel it should have been on the end of the CD as a bonus track, as it always throws me when it comes on as track 4 after so many years of the vinyl. I know that VP was actually recorded after the main album tracks, but they had the chance to delay the album by 4 weeks to include it, which they didn't. Phil Manzanera had since described this move as crazy, but it didn't seem to do them any real harm.

I wonder how many bands could even have imagined when they left off perfectly good stuff that they would prove to be marketing gold years later when it came to reissues & box sets. So many of us have been buying the same stuff again every few years just for those little nuggets or some rare live versions. And yet, we're grateful for them.

Obviously, in the 60's & 70's, the limitation was the vinyl format, with quality suffering when you got up to 40 minutes a disc. This relegated many a good cut to the B-side of a 45. I do feel nowadays with CD length up to 80 mins, the quality control can sometimes be lacking, and what might have been a nice bonus track or b-side can actually lead to a drop in the consistency of an album.

Well the most obvious example is Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields Forever being left off Sgt Peppers.

Stick those two on in place of the Harrison dirge and you've got the perfect album

Jethro Tull's "Lick Your Fingers Clean" should have found its place on Aqualung.

Camel's "Ligging at Louis" and the gorgeous "Autumn" ought to have been on Mirage; throw out "Earthrise" (dull, IMO) and place "The White Rider" as side 2 opener, then have the two said tracks as its replacement ending side 1.

Henry Cow's "Erk Gah (Hold to the Zero Burn, Imagine)" is arguably the most incendiarily complex composition ever attempted by a British band and should have been recorded/released, although I wouldn't have replaced anything else with it. There are a handful of fair (mostly live) versions available now, but I imagine a 1977 studio rendition would have been quite unbelievable.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 01-21-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The full version of "Haram Dei Ra" with Florian Fricke's vocals should have been on Popol Vuh's Letzte Tage-Letzte Nachte.

The album as released had a reprise of the song when the song itself wasn't on the album, which makes no sense. Besides, the full version is one of their greatest pieces ever.

Glad I have the SPV reissue that has "Haram Dei Ra" as a bonus track. I can't listen to the album now without programming it in.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire