Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which songs should have made the cut ?

Queen's The Game should have included It's A Beautiful Day and A Human Body.
    Another One Bites The Dust should have been Play The Game's b-side only.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Another One Bites The Dust should have been Play The Game's b-side only.
    You can't just write off the fact that Another One Bites The Dust is one of Queen's most successful songs. In that respect they were pretty wise to include it on the album and not just as a B-side where it would have gone unnoticed.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Jethro Tull's "Lick Your Fingers Clean" should have found its place on Aqualung.
    Agreed. At least it found a home on Warchild a few years later, in a slightly modified form as "Two Fingers".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Re:Queen...would have liked 'See what a fool I've Been ' replacing 'Loser in the End' !

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    "It's Yourself" should have been on A Trick of the Tail, but there's nothing I'd drop from the album to make way for it.
    Totally agree here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    There's a song called 'Make it Easy' on the expanded edition that is better than 'City of Love' IMO !
    And again here.

Similiarly, I can't understand why they edited 'The Calling' from 'Talk' that''s on the expanded edition !
    Disagree here. That ambient section that was cut really added nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    It's Over is another one that could have made the grade. But I'm also one of those who would love to hear the full version of Cinema as well.
    Man, that full version of "Cinema" is my Holy Grail.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I also agree about "It's Yourself" being strong enough for the album, but there's nothing I would drop for it either. I loved when it was finally released with the restored verse. I often include it in playlists as a sort of 'Trick suite' of "Volcano/Squonk/It's Yourself/Los Endos" - in an alternate universe that would have made a killer side of an LP. I do wish they had kept its working title though, "Beloved Summer".

As for "Make It Easy", that's a good song but I have a soft spot for "City Of Love". Someone mentioned the chorus sounding rather like Kiss and I must say I've never thought of it that way but it kind of does! "Make It Easy" made for a nice intro to "Owner" live though.

"The Calling" extended version is okay but I think they made the right choice on the album. That's a pretty straight-ahead track that needs to keep its flow IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

A track called 'No Tricks' was left off Alice Cooper's 'From the Inside ' album ! It was the B side to `How you gonna see me now`. I wore the vinyl out playing that song until it turned up on the 'Life & Crimes' box set!

Here's a very nice Strawbs B-side that would have fit comfortably on Bursting at the Seams. Sadly the studio cut isn't on Youtibe but this is a good live version. (Byrds fans should recognize the tune)>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mfs...=results_video

Not guilty should have been on the white album.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Here's a very nice Strawbs B-side that would have fit comfortably on Bursting at the Seams. Sadly the studio cut isn't on Youtibe but this is a good live version. (Byrds fans should recognize the tune)>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mfs...=results_video
    Love that song. That reminds me, I really, really love "Keep the Devil Outside" the bonus track on FROM THE WITCHWOOD.

But I love that album just the way it is, so maybe it's best left as a bonus track.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

I'm sure there's something on Coda that's stronger than D'yer Maker , which is probably Zep`s worst song IMO!

Banned
    I'm sure there's something on Coda that's stronger than D'yer Maker , which is probably Zep`s worst song IMO!
    D'yer Maker was a Houses Of The Holy, not Coda. Speaking of which, why didn't Coda include Hey Hey, What Can I Say?

Yes i know D'yer Maker was HOTH , saying there must must be a track on Coda , an album of left overs that would have fitted better !

Yes i know D'yer Maker was HOTH

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Yes i know D'yer Maker was HOTH , saying there must must be a track on Coda , an album of left overs that would have fitted better !
    No leftovers from HOTH appeared on Coda. The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, and Black Country Woman were recorded during the HOTH sessions, but appeared on Physical Graffiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I also agree about "It's Yourself" being strong enough for the album, but there's nothing I would drop for it either. I loved when it was finally released with the restored verse. I often include it in playlists as a sort of 'Trick suite' of "Volcano/Squonk/It's Yourself/Los Endos" - in an alternate universe that would have made a killer side of an LP. I do wish they had kept its working title though, "Beloved Summer".
    I read somewhere that it ended originally with a segue into the piano introduction to "Mad Man Moon", but I've never heard that version. I've got it there on my playlist for the album and it works really well: the re-appearance of the theme in "Los Endos" ties the whole thing together beautifully.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I reckon Autumn would be a good replacement for Lady Fantasy.
    I reckon side 2 of Aqualung should have been replaced with the other versions.

Hymn 43-quad version
    My God-quad version
    Wind up-early version
    Locomotive breath-MU version
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 01-21-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    I reckon Autumn would be a good replacement for Lady Fantasy.
    I reckon side 2 of Aqualung should have been replaced with the other versions.

Hymn 43-quad version
    My God-quad version
    Wind up-early version
    Locomotive breath-MU version
    Replace Lady Fantasy? Have you gone mad?

Marillion comments:

I agree Cinderella Search might be better than half of Fugazi. But IMO there is no song on Clutching at Straws that GU is better (or more interesting) than. Having pretty much only vocals/guitar (with very little keys that only adds wall-of-sound atmospherics -- little/no bass guitar or drums), Going Under is pretty much only a 2-instrument song, constructed like a simple "open mic night"-type acoustic song (with good lyrics but nothing earth-shattering when compared to other output by Fish), without the great typical interesting 5-piece dynamics of the Marillion song construction up through that album. In fact, GU might be the first time they put out a song like that, a song that does not have a full band sound, featuring basically only a single instrument accompanying vocals. It's probably what paved the way for later similar songs like After Me, Collection, etc. where they decided all band members don't need to be playing in a song. In summary, Going Under is a good song, and it would have been fine if it had been on the album, but it certainly isn't more interesting than any song on that album. IMO.

As far as Collection, many like it and it's good but lyrically not *that* interesting --- it's just a simple tune like I commented above for Going Under, and it would have been good to put it into the album (maybe instead of The Party which has boring lyrics and monotonous music except a little instrumental segment or two).

Bell In The Sea could have been in Seasons End. Great great song, and many love it. But if you think about that album, soundwise and dynamics-wise the song is actually like a mini Berlin, just like After Me is like a mini Easter -- so I'm not surprised they were left out as b-sides, to avoid "duplication" if you will.

And of course Grendel. But it's fine where it is (it and Market Square Heroes together make for a fine "EP" pretty much; even though it's a "single").

How Can It Hurt is one of the the band's least interesting. So is: You Don't Need Anyone. As far as The Release, it's an okay song but *does* feel/sound more like a b-side than an album track. IMO the "chicken or the egg" question often applies to b-sides and The Release is a good example of this -- 1) their sound/structure being often not as fully developed/polished as an album track and 2) why they didn't make it to the album, are two different things and I think sometimes 1 is the cause of 2 whereas sometimes it's vice versa…

IMHO.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A hell of a lot of Hackett's ideas on Wind and Wuthering.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Replace Lady Fantasy? Have you gone mad?
    It's a straight forward rock song i reckon. I find it pretty boring

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    It's a straight forward rock song i reckon. I find it pretty boring
    You and I are hearing different songs. Lady Fantasy is an epic.

Agree about Genesis. Do The Neurotic I like better than anything on 'Invisible Touch', so hard to justify not including it, although once I read that it was left off because it wasn't a group piece, but was written by Tony Banks. Obviously tracks like 'Evidence of Autumn', 'You Might Recall', and 'Me and Virgil', not to mention 'Naminanu' and 'On The Shoreline' were all better than most of the albums they could have been on.

From ABWH, 'Vultures' should have been on, again better than a lot of that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I read somewhere that it ended originally with a segue into the piano introduction to "Mad Man Moon", but I've never heard that version. I've got it there on my playlist for the album and it works really well: the re-appearance of the theme in "Los Endos" ties the whole thing together beautifully.
    The vinyl b-side did end with the opening melody of 'Mad Man Moon', just the 5 notes. More recent versions fade out before that.

Without reading everyone else's comments:

Genesis: Submarine and Naminanu should have both been included on Abacab. I'd certainly swap out Another Record and Like It Or Not in favor of those two, especially since they were originally meant to form a sort of a suite with Dodo/The Lurker. I might have also beat Phil Collins severely over the head, and continued to do so until he found it within himself to "get behind" Please Don't Touch.

As for It's Yourself, I'd have definitely swapped out A Trick Of The Tail itself in favor of that one. First of all, I don't think A Trick Of The Tail is a very good song, and secondly, I think they missed a brilliant opportunity by not having It's Yourself segue into Los Endos on the album.

Uriah Heep: Crystal Ball, an outtake from The Magician's Birthday shouldn't have sat on the shelf for 20 years before being released. I'm not sure what I'd bump from The Magician's Birthday to make room for it, maybe Spider Woman, though I actually rather like that song (and all the songs on that album).

Pink Floyd: I don't know that I'd swap out any songs on any of the studio albums to make room for Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Apples And Oranges, Julia Dream, Point Me At The Sky, Paint Box, It Would Be So Nice, and the studio version of Careful With That Axe Eugene, but I do wish that the powers that be at EMI and/or Capitol had put out a more comprehensive compilation at the time that gathered all those songs together, making them easier to find and be heard by those who wished to hear them (versus having to pay ridiculous amounts of money for out of print singles, import compilations and/or boxsets). Thank Goddess for the internet!

Jethro Tull: Off the top of my head, there at the very least should have a follow up LP to Broadsword And The Beast, which included a lot of the songs that hadn't made it onto that album. Judging from the recording dates given in the 20 Years Of... and Nightcap sets, there was more than another LP's worth of songs, and it's a shame that there wasn't any real effort to put them forth for the general public to know. I certainly think Motoreyes would have made a GREAT single!

On the other hand, I like Lick Your Fingers Clean, but if that had been included on Aqualung, we probably wouldn't have gotten Two Fingers on Warchild, and I happen to like Two Fingers even more (if for no other reason than the brilliant couplet "You better leave your underpants/With someone you can trust").

Thin Lizzy: On Vagabonds Of The Western World, I probably would have swapped out The Hero And The Madman in favor of Whiskey In The Jar.

U2 should have a found a place on War for A Celebration.

Iron Maiden: On Number Of The Beast, I'd surely have replaced Gangland with Total Eclipse. Part of me kinda wishes they had included That Girl and Reach Out on Somewhere In Time, just because they show a different side to the band, but I reckon they wouldn't have been considered for inclusion because they were cover tunes and besides, I wouldn't have dropped anything from Somewhere In Time.

Yes: count me amongst those who'd still like to hear the full length recording from which Cinema was excerpted. The thing I find interesting about Make It Easy is of course that they liked that intro before launching into Owner Of A Lonely Heart. In fact, I think the Make It Easy works rather well as a stand alone instrumental, I kinda wish they had just that on 90125, maybe in addition to what did make the cut, instead of replacing anything.

Grateful Dead: On Workingman's Dead, I'd have definitely swapped out Casey Jones in favor of Mason's Children, which I think is a much better song in every way. I'd have also told the band they needed to play Sugar Magnolia onstage (and hopefully getting some "grit" into the arrangement, if you know what I mean) before recording it in the studio.

Steal Your Face should have included, if nothing else, the Eyes Of The World/China Doll sequence from October 19, as well as one of the versions of Weather Report Suite (I think there were two versions to choose from the five shows that the album was drawn from: one from the 17th and one from the 18th). And I would have included the long improvisation that precedes Morning Dew in the film, just so that side of the band's music gets represented on the album.

Frank Zappa: I still think he should have kept the Drowning Witch/What's New In Baltimore?/Moggio suite intact, releasing it as a single LP side, instead of the individual tracks up and releasing them on three different albums.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 01-22-2013 at 01:26 AM.