Thread: Macroscream ~ Macroscream

Macroscream ~ Macroscream

This album is out now a couple of months on Altrock. I haven't seen any discussion or mention of this album on this site yet but I am enjoying it a lot.

An Italian band that claims to be influenced by Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull. Not the worst bands to be influenced by. If you ad a good dose of jazz rock to the mix that pretty much sums up their sound. Nothing really new, but it sounds fresh and a lotta fun.

Check them out on bandcamp:
    https://altrockproductions.bandcamp....um/macroscream

Recommended

Yeah, a good, solid album, but nothing really mindblowing to my ears. I hear the GG influences more than the Tull.

I believe there was a bit of discussion on the "Recommend New Italian Prog" thread.

^^

Yes there was.

Very solid Album by this great new band, I really love it.

It is also their second Album allready.

Love this album! I know I commented on it somewhere, maybe in the Italian Prog thread? Anyway, it definitely deserves a thread there. I was a little iffy about the vocals when I got it, but a few spins and this had me won over completely! Really great album, imo, and definitely a sort of "modern take" on Gentle Giant. I need to dig it back out, I've been concentrating on some other new stuff I got.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It is also their second Album allready.
    How would you compare this new one to the first one? I know they got a new vocalist for this new one. Is the first one worth a listen in your opinion?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Love this album! I know I commented on it somewhere, maybe in the Italian Prog thread? Anyway, it definitely deserves a thread there. I was a little iffy about the vocals when I got it, but a few spins and this had me won over completely! Really great album, imo, and definitely a sort of "modern take" on Gentle Giant. I need to dig it back out, I've been concentrating on some other new stuff I got.

How would you compare this new one to the first one? I know they got a new vocalist for this new one. Is the first one worth a listen in your opinion?

Bill
    Hmm, the first vocalist did not have a very Prog voice, he would fit a Blues rock band better. The sound quality and production ain't that good either.
    Otherwise a good record.

Hmm, the first vocalist did not have a very Prog voice, he would fit a Blues rock band better. The sound quality and production ain't that good either.
    Otherwise a good record.
    Thanks. Maybe I'll just stick with the one I've got and pretend it's their first album.

Just gave this a fresh spin... outstanding album! Really kicked my butt in some places, these folks can play! If this had been released in the 70s, it would be hailed as a classic today.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Seems pretty good. Opens with a 13 min track, that can't be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Bill
    I ordered the first one directly from the band after loving the second one.
    The vocalist is in fact the leader of the band and indeed has a more blues-rocky voice. The sound quality IS good, although I know TheH has heard a not so good sounding sample somewhere on the net.
    The music is slightly more folk-rocking, with more violin than Moog.
    The album starts with the 25 minutes title-track.

^^

Ok I will buy Sisyphus with the my next order from Italy

I take your word that it sounds better than what I've heared years ago.

^^

Ok I will buy Sisyphus with the my next order from Italy

I take your word that it sounds better than what I've heared years ago.
    Cool. A few weeks ago I played a track from Sisyphus in a radio-program and one of my colleagues in the studio thought it sounded good too, so there are more ears who've heard it. Hopefully you'll like it too.

A review of Macroscream at The Prog Aspect:-

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...m-macroscream/

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Cool. A few weeks ago I played a track from Sisyphus in a radio-program and one of my colleagues in the studio thought it sounded good too, so there are more ears who've heard it. Hopefully you'll like it too.
    You where right on the sound quality of Sisyphus. The CD indeed sound much much better than the streams I heard!

Don't know what the problem with those streams or even the clips on YT was...

CD quality is fine. What I loved about the album was the long songs and perfect transitions between time signatures and styles. English vocals are better than most Italian bands. Musicianship is strong. Synth work is fantastic, and I love how the band fuses some jazz, Latino, and reggae influences into their pieces. Although their debut EP: Sisyphus did not hit me like their first full-length album; Macroscream is DEFINITELY a band that should be followed, and encouraged to produce more work. Great job guys!
    Last edited by LEG-art; 02-12-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LEG-art View Post
    CD quality is fine. What I loved about the album was the long songs and perfect transitions between time signatures and styles. English vocals are better than most Italian bands. Musicianship is strong. Synth work is fantastic, and I love how the band fuses some jazz, Latino, and reggae influences into their pieces. Although Sisyphus did not hit me like their debut album, Macroscream is DEFINITELY a band that should be followed, and encouraged to produce more work. Great job guys!
    Sisyphus is Macroscream's debut, no? The new one is self titled. If what you say is referring to that self-titled album, I agree 100% with you, though!

Funny to see this thread pop up today, as just played the Macroscream the other night, and loved it. I'm listening to samples of Sisyphus right now. I'm considering getting it, it actually doesn't sound bad.

Bill

You where right on the sound quality of Sisyphus. The CD indeed sound much much better than the streams I heard!

Don't know what the problem with those streams or even the clips on YT was...
    Thanks for getting back on this; now I'm sure I can rely upon my ears (cause you never know after 50+ years of listening)

And Sputnik: yes, Sisyphus is their debut.