Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mahogany Rush - Strange Universe - Strangely Unavailable

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You sure about that? Prior to about 2000 or 2001, the only Mahogany Rush album I ever saw on CD was the original live album, and that's certainly the only one I ever saw actually on Columbia. The rest of the catalog I've only ever seen on third party reissue labels.
    I'm pretty sure that "Tales Of The Unexpected" was also released by Columbia on CD . Besides that I think you are correct.

I think probably the worst was the story about him supposedly being visited by the spirit of Hendrix in either a dream, while he was in a coma, or during an acid trip (depending on which version of the story you heard). It turns out it actually originated from a satirical piece that some record critic wrote, which was taken seriously by everyone. I think that damaged his rep in a lot of circles, and I know he remains eternally frustrated about that.
    well, he did have a long stint in the hospital after extensive use of psychedelics. that was 1968. while in the hospital, he learned to play the guitar as part of his therapy. Mahogany Rush was a name people in the 60's used to describe acid trips. he named the band that recalling his own experiences.

when Maxoom came out, a local writer embellished an article about Frank with claims he'd experienced a spiritual connection to Hendrix and other ghosts while in the hospital. part of the writer's rationale was Frank's dedication of the album to Hendrix and the song Buddy which about Jimi. Creem magazine picked it up an ran with it and Circus followed....that's what Frank has said anyways on more than one occasion.

he's also said it was a concoction of Circus and Creem directly without mentioning an outside writer whatsoever. I believe Creem ran another story after he covered Roadhouse Blues on What's Next with a headline about "Frank robbing fresh graves".

it's mostly just what you already said. Richard Riegel wrote a parody/review of Strange Universe in the October 1975 issue of Creem. Riegel said..."I had Jimi Hendrix phone Frank Marino from the purple haze of eternity, and make cutting remarks about the young Canuck lifting his style"

the review starts out with the line..."Rrring! "Hey, Paul, get the phone, will ya?" Rrring!"
    i.ain't.dead.irock

You sure about that? Prior to about 2000 or 2001, the only Mahogany Rush album I ever saw on CD was the original live album, and that's certainly the only one I ever saw actually on Columbia. The rest of the catalog I've only ever seen on third party reissue labels.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I'm pretty sure that "Tales Of The Unexpected" was also released by Columbia on CD . Besides that I think you are correct.
    I bought them as soon as they got out.... I believe the earliest a MR CD was published was in the late 80's...

We'd have to check RYM or Discogs, but I do believe most §if not all) of them were reissued before the millennium.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I bought them as soon as they got out.... I believe the earliest a MR CD was published was in the late 80's...

We'd have to check RYM or Discogs, but I do believe most §if not all) of them were reissued before the millennium.
    Good thinking! According to Discogs:

Child Of The Novelty and Strange Universe were reissued by Repertoire Records (yes, the German label) in 1989.

Maxoom appeared on a German label called Buy Or Die Records in 1994.

Mahogany Rush IV was reissued by Columbia in the UK in the early 90's.

World Anthem was reissued by Sony Japan in 1998.

Live and Tales Of The Unexpected were reissued Stateside by Columbia in 1990.

What's Next, The Power Of Rock & Roll and Juggernaut were all issued by German label Black Rose in 1999.

I can't explain me not seeing Tales Of The Unexpected on CD during the 90's, but the others I wouldn't have seen because we didn't (and still don't) have decent import stores on the East Side of Cleveland. So it's not much of a surprise I only ever saw Live and Double Live in record stores in the early 90's.

I absolutely LOVE The Guess Who and consider Burton Cummings one of the all-time greatest rock and roll singers.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Since 2000 I have seen the whole 3+ hour show a bunch of times and have walked out completely blown away every time , but the DVD show in Cleveland in December of 2010 was the best of all , on the Saturday of the taping they played for almost 8 hours (with breaks in between obviously but it was just short of 8 hours of music performed) and played so many songs I had never seen him do live before , it has seemingly taken forever to get Blu-Ray/DVD released but it is now ready . I don't know when it will finally be available but it won't be too much longer according to information from his website. I am just glad I was able see it live.
    Still kicking myself for not going to the weekend of shows. Two hours from home and inexcusable. Thanks for the DVD update. Best news I've heard on quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I have the live album which never really impressed me. A few years ago I downloaded Eye Of The Storm which does a lot for me. Great album. Good guitarist.
    Check out Real Live. IMO, it blows away the too-short live one from '78. Night and day.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Check out Real Live. IMO, it blows away the too-short live one from '78. Night and day.
    this is the one that reeled me back in after years of neglect. Stories Of A Hero is one of my favorite tunes from anyone. the live version on this is just perfect and so is Poppy. I remember after this came out, Frank said he was going to remaster all the previous albums. I know he did six and BGO did seven. as far as I could tell, that was it.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting out that DVD though. I gave up on it. maybe, it will be a welcome surprise one day like RealLIVE was.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I always think of Mahogany Frog...

Saw Mahogany Rush as a headliner in '74 at the Ottawa Civic Centre with Rush (John Rutsey drumming) and another band called Bullrush whom I assumed changed their name so they would fit on the bill.

the large influx of Toronto bands in the mid-70's most likely was a result of the can-con rules starting in '72 and Toronto being the center of the universe, but that's another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post

the large influx of Toronto bands in the mid-70's most likely was a result of the can-con rules starting in '72 and Toronto being the center of the universe, but that's another thread...

I got to Toronto around 74, coming from two years in Montreal (Oultremont area)... Hogtown was quite the provincial city (despite its 2M+ population) back then: hardly any culture, little worthy nightlife, etc...

Everything changed with PQ's arrival in power in La Belle Province, and the ensuing exodus of 400 000 Montrealers mostly in Toronto... this was a major vital kick to sleepy Toronto, and they never looked back since...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    this is the one that reeled me back in after years of neglect. Stories Of A Hero is one of my favorite tunes from anyone. the live version on this is just perfect and so is Poppy.
    His version of "Red House" is stunningly beautiful. It shows that, while he may be accused of drifting too close to Jimi, he does know how to bring something to the table, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What does the name Mahogany Rush mean, if anything? I don't think I've ever heard this band, though I've always seen the name.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What does the name Mahogany Rush mean, if anything? I don't think I've ever heard this band, though I've always seen the name.
    extreme-facepalm-meme-29.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think Frank said it was how he described the experience of the acid trip that landed him in the hospital. He said it was "a mahogany rush".

Wholllley shiiiiiittt!!! the powers of google privacy invasion... I just got an Amazon offer for all of the Mahogany Rush albums in my mailbox this moring... I suppose it comes from this thread, because I did no such search anywhere recently

Fuck I really hate google... They're just as evil as Monsanto, really!!!

I think Frank said it was how he described the experience of the acid trip that landed him in the hospital. He said it was "a mahogany rush".
    Mahogany is a very red-looking wood, and in French (acajou) the word can be described as a shade of red colour (it's probably the same as in English, I suppose) ... Obviously another "clumsy" reference to Purple Haze and Hendrix revisitation story.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Mahogany is a very red-looking wood, and in French (acajou) the word can be described as a shade of red colour (it's probably the same as in English, I suppose) ... Obviously another "clumsy" reference to Purple Haze and Hendrix revisitation story.
    Well, that's a bit of a stretch.

Nobody would describe a colour as Mahogany (red)??