Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mahogany Rush - Strange Universe - Strangely Unavailable

On the subject of Canadian rock bands, besides PT, Rush and Mahogany Rush, there is also Max Webster and FM, as well as BTO, Moxy, Pride Tiger, Coney Hatch and The Tea Party.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Orcopian
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Most amazing guitarist I've ever seen.
    I'd second that. Saw Frank on his last visit to the UK in the early 2000's, he played almost a 3 hour set that seemed to cover pretty much the same ground as the Real Live album. When I think about answering the question who is the best guitarist you have seen my mind runs through all the big names & legends but I don't think any of them would top the intensity, passion, tone and sheer power I saw that night. My ears were ringing for days after.

... and Saga!

Chilliwack!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The biggest act in the last few decades in Canada is the Tragically Hip. They tried to get into the U.S. market but without luck. The're truly an amazing band. Right now, the lead singer announced he has terminal brain cancer. What did he decide to do about it? Tour the country, awesome!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The band hails from Kingston, Ontario (several prisons in the area). Here's a song about a prisoner...

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    , but the DVD show in Cleveland in December of 2010 was the best of all , on the Saturday of the taping they played for almost 8 hours (with breaks in between obviously but it was just short of 8 hours of music performed) and played so many songs I had never seen him do live before , it has seemingly taken forever to get Blu-Ray/DVD released but it is now ready
    For me the high point was hearing Chains Of (S)pace live. From what I gather, that was the very first time he'd ever played it in front of an audience, and I got to be there to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, you try to find a single word on bands like MR, Triumph (except for the stinking videoclips) or Travers in their MM archives.
    Fair enough. My knowledge of MuchMusic comes from the late 90's. I do know there's a clip on Youtube somewhere of The Residents visiting the MM studio. As I recall, Homer Flynn, as usual presenting him as a "Ralph Records representative", and not an actual band member, is interviewed, while "The Residents" (how would we ever know if that was really them or just random actors/mime artists who were paid to wear the Eyeballs and tuxes that particular afternoon?) do just about anything but. Some of them are signing autographs, playing with the cameras, one of them goes into the control room and starts messing the video console, etc. In other words, typical Residents chaos.

MuchMusic and its predecessor NewMusic (started in 79 as a weekly with a couple of weekly reruns) featured a lot of Canadian music, but they weren't all that hard-rock-oriented. AAMOF, NewMusic was a much better show than MM, trying to feature more alternative stuff (beit the punk scene or alternatives)... They even did a few articles on Discipline-era Crimson... Webster got some attention, but this had to wait with UJ and the Rush collab Battlescar... and Kim Mitchell poor solo career (IMHO) got 100 times the exposition on MM that Wabster ever got on TNM.
    I've got a bootleg video with a NewMusic segment on Marino, from circa 84 or 85, I think. That's where my old quote that I used to use from Frank, "Rock n roll is the art of imperfection" came from, that being his response to all the drum machine and sample driven music that was around at the time. I'd imagine he probably feels that situation is even worse now.

I still thought MM was better than MTV, though.
    [/QUOTE]

By the time MM started airing Stateside, in the late 90's, the joke was "It's like a Canadian version of MTV, only they play music". MTV was cool for about the first 5 or so years, but after awhile, it started going south. Game shows, reality shows, cartoons, etc ruined MTV.

I have the live album which never really impressed me. A few years ago I downloaded Eye Of The Storm which does a lot for me. Great album. Good guitarist.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    On the subject of Canadian rock bands, besides PT, Rush and Mahogany Rush, there is also Max Webster and FM, as well as BTO, Moxy, Pride Tiger, Coney Hatch and The Tea Party.
    You bring up BTO but not The Guess Who?! I actually liked some of BTO's music. I always thought Hey You and Let It Roll Down The Highway were cool songs.

There's also April Wine, who I kinda dug. I never had any of the albums, but I remember digging the stuff MTV used to play. I always thought Sign Of The Gypsy Queen, Enough Is Enough, and If You See Kay (greatest song title ever) were awesome songs.

As for Chilliwack, I actually the like the records that the band made when they were still called The Collectors, back in the late 60's. I think there were two albums, and they were more in a psychedelic vein. Then as I recall, the lead singer of The Collectors left the band, and the remaining trio changed their name to Chilliwack, with Bill Henderson being the front guy, I guess. I have one Chilliwack, the eponymous double LP that A&M put out. That's got some pretty cool experimental stuff.

Of course, if you're my age, you remember things like My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone) and Watcha Gonna Do, which were pretty cool songs. I always dug the vocal harmonies on My Girl, as well as Brian MacLeod's awesome guitar solo.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The biggest act in the last few decades in Canada is the Tragically Hip. They tried to get into the U.S. market but without luck. The're truly an amazing band. Right now, the lead singer announced he has terminal brain cancer. What did he decide to do about it? Tour the country, awesome!!
    Yeah, I recall reading once that something like 1 in every 5 Canadians owns at least one Tragically Hip album.

One more thought on Much Music: they did turn me onto Loreena McKennit, via them airing her Mummer's Dance video. I never did get anything other than that one album (which I've heard is actually a bit weak compared to some of her earlier records) and the Mummer's Dance CD single (because the version of the song that's in the video isn't actually on the album, just the single). I like what I heard on that one though. Always meant to pick up some of her other albums.

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush Live (1978) is still one of my favorite crank my stereo to 11 albums. It leaves bruises.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Getting back to Frank , I really hope that in addition to the blu-ray that there will be an audio only release from the marathon Cleveland show , even if it's a download .

here is a good interview with Frank on alloutguitar. I thought it was a 2005 interview but says 2006? most of his interviews are very similar and on topic. I had forgotten he was only 16 when he produced the first Mahogany Rush album and every one thereafter if I remember correctly. seems like there were several unfortunate turns in his career that were more or less forced upon him. I don't think he ever cared much for the business side of things nor fame and fortune. It's a fuckin' shame that he's so highly regarded by his peers and fans, yet one of his namesakes and domain is that of a female impersonator. the fan based Mahogany Rush site is rather 90's at best. quite frankly, it's kinda strange.

bobert, the interview he did with hit-channel in 2012 may shed a little more light on why we'll be RealLUCKY if that Cleveland show even happens at all. I remember a couple where he said he was only "kinda back in the music business" and he talked more about his faith than music. well, that's really not any of my business concerning the path he chooses to walk. at least there is the music which we do have. indeed, it is a Strange Universe

Well listen, someday
    You'll hear a rush of wings
    So distant, a sound of secret things
    There, look there, up in that rusty sky
    Yonder, sweeps the dragonfly
    So awesome, he blocks the setting sun
    He'll come to collect the souls of everyone
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You bring up BTO but not The Guess Who?! I actually liked some of BTO's music. I always thought Hey You and Let It Roll Down The Highway were cool songs.
    I like BTO, but cannot get into Guess Who.

I like BTO, but cannot get into Guess Who.
    This is the only BTO song I really liked (probably because it was so un-BTO):

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Oh man, the Guess Who are such a big part of my growing up. Almost ubiquitous on the Canadian stations we'd pick up and hit after hit on US radio. Between my brother and I we must have had a dozen Guess Who albums in our high school days. Kinda faded as we turned to harder and more complex rock but still, the hooks remained. I saw them twice. First time was on the last show of the last tour in 1975 with Domenic Troiano. Second was in 2002 on an "oldies" tour with the Doobie Brothers. Randy Bachman was playing with them. Live, they were kind of a different animal. Despite being led by a keyboards guy the guitars were louder and harder.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So I go to Amazon thinking, it's probably there and it's gonna be a quick purchase. Um no. The only thing I saw listed was an import copy for almost $20. Import only? Jebus, back in the day this was in every third dorm room, how did it reach the rare status? I went to YouTube thinking that if nothing else the full album will be there. No it wasn't. i checked the wretched iTunes store. Nope. What the hell?
    Discogs is full of it. At least 50 copies as we are speaking...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    This is the only BTO song I really liked (probably because it was so un-BTO):
    I would say Blue Collar is their best track.

Not to mention Guess Who, April Xine, Streetheart and the very yucky Loverboy

Chilliwack!
    First two album are psych rock gems...

As for Chilliwack, I actually the like the records that the band made when they were still called The Collectors, back in the late 60's. I think there were two albums, and they were more in a psychedelic vein. Then as I recall, the lead singer of The Collectors left the band, and the remaining trio changed their name to Chilliwack, with Bill Henderson being the front guy, I guess. I have one Chilliwack, the eponymous double LP that A&M put out. That's got some pretty cool experimental stuff.
    Thoser two Collectors album are fantastic proto-prog , somewhere between Vanilla Fudge, Moody Blues, Doors (the long tracks) and HP Lovecraft

Oh man, the Guess Who are such a big part of my growing up. Almost ubiquitous on the Canadian stations we'd pick up and hit after hit on US radio.

I'm not sure there would've been a English-Canadian rock scene if it wasn't for the Guess Who (from Winnipeg), April Wine (Halifax, then Montreal later on) and The Collector-Chilliwack (from Vancouver)... Toronto was nowhere in the late 60's (sort of speak, because there were plenty of groups but none that "pierced")... Quebec/Montreal was totally independant and Charlebois opened the horizons with Quebec Love in 67

Toronto exploded in 75 with Rush, Triumph, Webster (and much more later on)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    here is a good interview with Frank on alloutguitar. I thought it was a 2005 interview but says 2006? most of his interviews are very similar and on topic. I had forgotten he was only 16 when he produced the first Mahogany Rush album and every one thereafter if I remember correctly. seems like there were several unfortunate turns in his career that were more or less forced upon him.
    I think probably the worst was the story about him supposedly being visited by the spirit of Hendrix in either a dream, while he was in a coma, or during an acid trip (depending on which version of the story you heard). It turns out it actually originated from a satirical piece that some record critic wrote, which was taken seriously by everyone. I think that damaged his rep in a lot of circles, and I know he remains eternally frustrated about that.

I think also being that were just so many great hard rock bands back in the 70's, they were probably one group who fell between the cracks, in terms of "breaking big". Oh, they were big, at the time, but they didn't break through to that ultra-big level, where your records continue to stay in print, on the label that originally released them etc. Of course, the label that released the first three Mahogany Rush albums folded, eventually, but the Columbia era records could have theoretically never gone out of print, if he had been able to maintain that same degree of pop culture visibility that, let's say, Aerosmith or Kiss, as two examples, had. And certainly when the whole 70's revival thing kicked in, it seems like Frank and Mahogany Rush were kind of not a part of that, for whatever reason. You certainly didn't hear snatches of Dragonfly, Try For Freedom or The Answer on That 70's Show.
    I don't think he ever cared much for the business side of things nor fame and fortune.
    Yeah, I get that feeling too. I can well imagine management and label people telling him to do something more radio friendly or make some videos (certainly in the early 80's era) and Frank balking at all that kind of stuff. I can also see him becoming disenchanted when he was surrounded by people who constantly wiping white powder off of their noses (as I'm sure was the case during the 70's, and perhaps even beyond). It's easy to see why he finally retired from music and got a straight job for awhile during the 90's.

yet one of his namesakes and domain is that of a female impersonator. .
    Yeah, I noticed that back around 2000-2001, when I was searching Ebay for Mahogany Rush stuff (at the time, I don't think most of the CD reissues had come out yet), and a lot of what came up when you'd search for "Frank Marino" was publicity photos for the female impersonator. Made me wonder if the other Frank Marino was aware that he had hijacked someone else's name.

Fair enough. My knowledge of MuchMusic comes from the late 90's. I do know there's a clip on Youtube somewhere of The Residents visiting the MM studio. As I recall, Homer Flynn, as usual presenting him as a "Ralph Records representative", and not an actual band member, is interviewed, while "The Residents" (how would we ever know if that was really them or just random actors/mime artists who were paid to wear the Eyeballs and tuxes that particular afternoon?) do just about anything but. Some of them are signing autographs, playing with the cameras, one of them goes into the control room and starts messing the video console, etc. In other words, typical Residents chaos.

I've got a bootleg video with a NewMusic segment on Marino, from circa 84 or 85, I think. That's where my old quote that I used to use from Frank, "Rock n roll is the art of imperfection" came from, that being his response to all the drum machine and sample driven music that was around at the time. I'd imagine he probably feels that situation is even worse now.

By the time MM started airing Stateside, in the late 90's, the joke was "It's like a Canadian version of MTV, only they play music". MTV was cool for about the first 5 or so years, but after awhile, it started going south. Game shows, reality shows, cartoons, etc ruined MTV.
    TBH, I didn't even know MM lived that long and even got stateside, but yes, MTV wasn' playing any kind of music at all by the mid-90's if I judge by what we got over the Atlantic, so yes, I can imagine MM being better in the late 90's than MTV had been for most of that decade.

NewMusic died in 84 or 85, if memory serves... I may have missed the Marino segment, but generally you had 10 features of Carol Pope's Rough Trade or those kind of trendy pop-rock than u-you did of Triumph or Rush (whom the NM musical directors probably probably thought didn't need the support since they were getting huge south of the Niagara
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Of course, the label that released the first three Mahogany Rush albums folded, eventually, but the Columbia era records could have theoretically never gone out of print, if he had been able to maintain that same degree of pop culture visibility that, let's say, Aerosmith or Kiss, as two examples, had. And certainly when the whole 70's revival thing kicked in, it seems like Frank and Mahogany Rush were kind of not a part of that, for whatever reason. You certainly didn't hear snatches of Dragonfly, Try For Freedom or The Answer on That 70's Show.

Yeah, I noticed that back around 2000-2001, when I was searching Ebay for Mahogany Rush stuff (at the time, I don't think most of the CD reissues had come out yet), and a lot of what came up when you'd search for "Frank Marino" was publicity photos for the female impersonator. Made me wonder if the other Frank Marino was aware that he had hijacked someone else's name.
    AFAIK, I believe that the CDs were never OOP during the 90's and 00's, but the first three vinyls had become extremely rare by the late 70's, beit the Kot'ai (Can label) or the 20th C (US label)

My guess is that most of MR albums were out on CDs by the early 90's (even the Kot'ai Label ones), bur for some odd reason What's Next never saw a CBS CD release when the vinyl was clearly a Columbia album (as had been all MR albums sinc IV)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    AFAIK, I believe that the CDs were never OOP during the 90's and 00's, but the first three vinyls had become extremely rare by the late 70's, beit the Kot'ai (Can label) or the 20th C (US label)

My guess is that most of MR albums were out on CDs by the early 90's (even the Kot'ai Label ones), bur for some odd reason What's Next never saw a CBS CD release when the vinyl was clearly a Columbia album (as had been all MR albums sinc IV)

You sure about that? Prior to about 2000 or 2001, the only Mahogany Rush album I ever saw on CD was the original live album, and that's certainly the only one I ever saw actually on Columbia. The rest of the catalog I've only ever seen on third party reissue labels.