Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yesshows "Going For The One"

I would suspect that the reason the little jam and "thanks" prior to "Ritual" was left intact was simple: Squire knew that the only logical place to split "Ritual" was before the bass solo. In terms of time and the flow of the song, this is where it needed to happen. And in order to maintain optimal sonic potential for vinyl, he did need to do it. A good engineer might make a 30 minute side work for Klaus Schulze or something, but with dynamic rock music of this nature, it would not have sounded very good.

And so ... he was able to leave in the whole intro section because with the split where it was and leaving the intro, he had about a 16 minute side. Had he cut that intro, we would have had a very, very short Side 3.

He could have used a version of "On The Silent Wings Of Freedom" and made it work sans the "Ritual" intro, but whether he had a version of this with which he was comfortable, I'm unaware. For me, it would have been a lateral move. With all respect to the highly regarded '78 tour, I'll take all of that '76 Detroit show I can get. Even that little jam gives me a sense of the atmosphere and vibe the band had going on at that stage. And it is vibe which I find speaks to me more than even all the "Big Medley" stuff from the Tormato tour which so many regard highly.

I agree that Yes should have killed the Whale and replaced that with Future Times/Rejoice. On the bootlegs I have from the 78-79 tours, Future Times sounds great live. Silent Wings sounds pretty good too. Hate the Whale!

I also agree that Awaken should have been on Yesshows - ditch Going for the One and even Wonderous Stories.

Plus, I know that Squire cobbled this album together, but it really is BASS HEAVY. Very similar to Exit Stage Left. Both sound like the proverbial blanket over the speaker - no sparkle. I'll take Yessomgs and All the Worlds over both.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I would suspect that the reason the little jam and "thanks" prior to "Ritual" was left intact was simple: Squire knew that the only logical place to split "Ritual" was before the bass solo. In terms of time and the flow of the song, this is where it needed to happen. And in order to maintain optimal sonic potential for vinyl, he did need to do it. A good engineer might make a 30 minute side work for Klaus Schulze or something, but with dynamic rock music of this nature, it would not have sounded very good.

And so ... he was able to leave in the whole intro section because with the split where it was and leaving the intro, he had about a 16 minute side. Had he cut that intro, we would have had a very, very short Side 3.

He could have used a version of "On The Silent Wings Of Freedom" and made it work sans the "Ritual" intro, but whether he had a version of this with which he was comfortable, I'm unaware.
    This seems a reasonable interpretation. I don't personally consider 'Silent Wings' a 'classic' anyway...it has always felt unfinished to me. Perhaps live versions were better. I think 'Awaken' is the big omission for me but then you'd end up with 3 long epics on it!

One thing that doesn't make sense though, and something I hadn't even noticed until playing it again a couple of days ago...why is this still on 2 CDs? It would easily fit on an 80 minute disc. They could have at least expanded it, as others like CSNY's 4 Way Street did.

You can get various latter-day Yes live albums, but there's still not much from their prime. For the Moraz era, the songs on Yesshows and The Word Is Live is more or less all that's on CD...and almost all of these are from the Detroit show (there's also the QPR 'Sweet Dreams' on The Word Is Live)! That show may as well be out there in full, without a doubt. What has been released is great.
    Last edited by JJ88; 07-23-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    That's hardly a high bar, I've no interest in any of the recent live releases.
    Me either lol

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    The best live album ever officially released. Just stunning!
    Wow, and I've never heard it!

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    I agree that Yes should have killed the Whale and replaced that with Future Times/Rejoice. On the bootlegs I have from the 78-79 tours, Future Times sounds great live. Silent Wings sounds pretty good too. Hate the Whale!

I also agree that Awaken should have been on Yesshows - ditch Going for the One and even Wonderous Stories.

Plus, I know that Squire cobbled this album together, but it really is BASS HEAVY. Very similar to Exit Stage Left. Both sound like the proverbial blanket over the speaker - no sparkle. I'll take Yessomgs and All the Worlds over both.
    IMO, the 1994 Gastwirt remaster really (and I mean REALLY) has way too much bottom end. It impacted not just the bass but White's bass drum is just out of control.

The original LP really didn't sound like this. Nor did the first release on CD in Japan. IMO, it's a really good mix. Maybe slightly bass heavy but man it works. Squire is just off the charts great on this album, IMO.

I think 'Awaken' is the big omission for me but then you'd end up with 3 long epics on it!
    That wouldn't be a bad thing if you ask me! Prime-era Yes was always all about the epics anyway. It feels kind of "off" to me that Yesshows includes all of the short/minor songs from Going for the One and omits the Grand Statement.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^I agree, it wouldn't bother me either, but it does look a bit top-heavy.

I don't think it was really possible to make this album satisfying as a double. Yessongs worked because of its length, which allowed them to include most of what was played in the shows in question.

One thing that doesn't make sense though, and something I hadn't even noticed until playing it again a couple of days ago...why is this still on 2 CDs?.
    So that they can charge double the money (though I recall paying $12.99 for it at Circuit City back in 1997 or whenever it was that I bought it).

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    He could have used a version of "On The Silent Wings Of Freedom" and made it work sans the "Ritual" intro, but whether he had a version of this with which he was comfortable, I'm unaware. For me, it would have been a lateral move. With all respect to the highly regarded '78 tour, I'll take all of that '76 Detroit show I can get. Even that little jam gives me a sense of the atmosphere and vibe the band had going on at that stage. And it is vibe which I find speaks to me more than even all the "Big Medley" stuff from the Tormato tour which so many regard highly.
    If this was originally a 3 LP set, did Squire really have total say on what was put on and what was left off? I wonder myself. As far as the medley thing I agree 100%. Some artists can do medleys and they work but a group like Yes putting pieces of music together never excited me. Someone else said about releasing the entire Detroit show. I wonder how many good quality recordings there are of the Moraz era that we don't know about. Maybe even Yes don't know if they still exist. At that time I remember hearing an interview with Jon who said that they had recorded several of the Relayer tour shows.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Yup. They can be downloaded here.
    Holy freaking crap, that is basically the mother lode right there! I got a new complete version of the 10/28/78 soundboard which is far better than the full version I had before, just fantastic sound! I will be plumbing the depths of that site, they have lots of stuff I used to have on vinyl, and a ton of stuff I haven't heard. They even have an audience recording from Springfield in 1979, which was my first Yes show. Thanks for posting that link!

As far as Yesshows, this album never really grabbed me. Part of the problem may well have been that by the time it came out, I had a bunch of boots, and this tracklist seemed haphazard and not terribly exciting. I do like this version of Ritual, even better now that I have the CD where it's all together in one track. Gates I feel suffers from rushing in the battle sequence. I've heard lots of versions that are better than this performance-wise, Hollywood Bowl being a notable one. The rest is OK, but I'd have vastly preferred different tracks (like Awaken, FT/Rejoice, Silent Wings) and a more consistent feel of an actual show than this album presented.

Interestingly, the original question about this album was about GftO, and I think that song actually comes off pretty well overall. I've never really noticed the vocal glitch that much, but you expect vocal glitches on a truly live album (which I'm sure this is not in many spots). I can't say I've heard another live version of GftO that is better than this one, so that's probably the least of my issues with Yesshows. Likewise, sound quality isn't that much of an issue to me, given the number of crappy boots I've listened to but enjoyed the performances.

Guess I'll dig it out for a fresh spin at some point, but honestly I'm more interested in revisiting In a Word, which I haven't played much since I got it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    vocal glitches on a truly live album (which I'm sure this is not in many spots).
    I doubt they added any overdubs to this one. There weren't proper studio or mix sessions for Yesshows. My understanding is that they were "test mixes" done by Squire in 1979 that were shelved until the Drama period and then released without any further work being done to them. The original intent was to do a triple-LP set as Yessongs II, but I'm not sure how the Yesshows mixes relate specifically to those plans, which had been around for awhile by 1979.

As for the vocals on GFTO, that was apparently a difficult song for Anderson to sing, which probably accounts for why it didn't reappear in the set after 1977 until the 1995 SLO shows (and then partially transposed to a lower key). Also, you have to remember that Squire only had so many professionally recorded shows to choose from in assembling his test mixes. It's not like they recorded every show.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I doubt they added any overdubs to this one. There weren't proper studio or mix sessions for Yesshows. My understanding is that they were "test mixes" done by Squire in 1979 that were shelved until the Drama period and then released without any further work being done to them. The original intent was to do a triple-LP set as Yessongs II, but I'm not sure how the Yesshows mixes relate specifically to those plans, which had been around for awhile by 1979.

As for the vocals on GFTO, that was apparently a difficult song for Anderson to sing, which probably accounts for why it didn't reappear in the set after 1977 until the 1995 SLO shows (and then partially transposed to a lower key). Also, you have to remember that Squire only had so many professionally recorded shows to choose from in assembling his test mixes. It's not like they recorded every show.
    You could well be right. I have not real knowledge of how Yesshows came together. If it is mostly or all truly live, then it only increases its value, imo. And it's absolutely true, GftO was high even for Anderson, so maybe this was the best professionally recorded example Squire had to work with. As I said, I have not real issue with this track on the album, warts and all.

I think another LP's worth of material would have made this a much more compelling live document, even if it was still a bit haphazard.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think another LP's worth of material would have made this a much more compelling live document, even if it was still a bit haphazard.
    I agree completely. A third LP could have had "Awaken", "Sound Chaser" and "Future Times/Rejoice", all from the same shows that were used for the album as released, I believe.

I would love to see an archival release of the complete Cobo Hall '76 show, now that Atlantic Records seems to be interested in doing this sort of thing for Yes.