Thread: Brainticket-Celestial Ocean/Live In Rome Re-issue

Brainticket-Celestial Ocean/Live In Rome Re-issue

Just picked this up from Wayside. It's a wonderful trippy record with beautiful sounding synths, flutes, sitars, piano, percussion, and spacey vocals. But this re-issue sounds like a hack job. I'm guessing it's a needle dropper because of the ticks and pops, and the sequencing and production sounds like the titles were originally meant to segue, but there are jarring pauses between tracks. And there is a two second silent pause in the middle of the last track that doesn't sound like it was meant to be there. Anybody familiar with this album that knows the scoop?

I have the original LP poster if anyone is interested...

Which edition of Celestial Ocean are you referring to? There are about 5 vinyl releases (not counting the german and italian originals) and 7 CD ones (not counting the Brainticket box set).

If you are talking about CDs, all reissues are needle-drops, sourced from vinyl masters.

Please list barcode and disk matrix and I'll let you know.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 07-14-2016 at 02:30 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The one released by Cleopatra Records.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    The one released by Cleopatra Records.
    Which one of them? They are three (1997 / 2003 / 2008). Give me some identifier (catalogue number f.e.)
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

You show the cover of Celestial O but mention the Live in Rome album. The live show, IIRC, was sourced from a 'wellington' tape. The show is mainly Celestial material.
    (I am in desperate need of audio from their Cleveland show. Anyone tape that show ?? Nice reward avail....)

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Which one of them? They are three (1997 / 2003 / 2008). Give me some identifier (catalogue number f.e.)
    2015 on their subsidiary Purple Pyramid. So much for the write up Wayside used for the album page. Here's an excerpt:

Everything flows just as nicely as it did in that patchouli-scented, blacklight-illuminated room in 1973. A classic of spacey, trippy, early 70s Krautrock soundz and a must own for any cosmic courier reading this...

Oh well... I'm not buying any other editions. I do like the music, but I could care less about the hippy bullshit. And it would have been nice if the CD did actually flow, instead of being chopped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post

Just picked this up from Wayside. It's a wonderful trippy record with beautiful sounding synths, flutes, sitars, piano, percussion, and spacey vocals. But this re-issue sounds like a hack job. I'm guessing it's a needle dropper because of the ticks and pops, and the sequencing and production sounds like the titles were originally meant to segue, but there are jarring pauses between tracks. And there is a two second silent pause in the middle of the last track that doesn't sound like it was meant to be there. Anybody familiar with this album that knows the scoop?
    I have it on LP, and yes, the tracks did segue originally. You must have the old Purple Pyramid Records edition. Cleopatra, at least during the 90's, were a bunch of hacks. THey put out two other Brainticket albums, Voyage and Adventure, where they swapped the tapes around, so that when you bought Voyage, you really got Adventure, and vice versa. I seem to recall there were other things Purple Pyramid put out that seemed to be...not right. I recall they put out the US edition of Steve Howe's Mothballs disc, which was missing a track or two (though they were apparently listed on the back cover). After a certain point, I stopped buying stuff that was put out by PP, just because I was sick of the crap shoot approach to quality. Hell, even when I e-mailed them about this dren, they couldn't be bothered to respond.

Three CD versions which don't have any pauses:

1) The one on Esoteric

2) The pirate on Buy or Die - I think it's the same people as TRC

and 3) The Purple Pyramid mini-LP sleeve issue. But I think I heard that not ALL of those had the proper disc in them, in other words - you might still get the pauses. So don't bother. Purple Pyramid doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Three CD versions which don't have any pauses:

The one on Esoteric
    They produce superior editions of just about everything.

Well, I did some research for you:

1. It seems that you have the double CD coupled with "Live in Rome". This is also the latest release from Purple Pyramid of Celestial Ocean on CD.

2. I've tested the version of Purple Pyramid included in the Brainticket CD box The Vintage Anthology 1971-1980. This version is correct, all tracks flow as a continuous piece and there's no pause in the middle of Visions.

3. I've tested the Purple Pyramid miniLP sleeved CD with barcode: 7 41157 12562 7. Track do segue and there's no pause on last track.

4. I've listened to the Esoteric one. Their version is also correct.

5. I remember that the Buy or Die version was also correct.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS