Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vanilla Fudge

Very influential band but speaking of albums, Renaissance (their overall best) and Near the Beginning (their most musical proficient but “over the top”) are the only ones worth owning.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Very influential band but speaking of albums, Renaissance (their overall best) and Near the Beginning (their most musical proficient but “over the top”) are the only ones worth owning.
    I love the tracks on the A-side... it's just the boring solo track Break song (ala Love on Da Capo or GE's 8MH or IB's In-A-Gadda) that I simply will never listen to again.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Saw the dynamic stylings of the Vanilla Fudge at the Payomet tent last night. Highly enjoyable show, thanks to all who recommended it! Basically a heavy B3 organ dominated sound with all 4 guys singing vocal harmonies. Carmine's drum solos were great, at 69 years old he has still got it. Mark Steins keyboards and vocals also good. One long set starting with Neal Diamonds I'm a Believer and ending with You Keep Me Hanging On, with Dazed and Confused as the encore. Interesting story about Led Zeppelin opening up for them in 69. Best song for me was probably the very extended take on Donovans Season of the Witch.

Thanks for starting this thread. You motivated me to check out Vanilla Fudge (a band I knew virtually nothing about). I downloaded their Rhino greatest hits package, and I like it a lot. They remind me of early Yes and Egg. There's a certain "sameness" to their songs, but it's a sameness I enjoy. Thanks again!