Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KING CRIMSON - The ProjeKcts boxed set

Just listened to the Collector's Club ProjeKct One disc. Pretty good disc. I remember at the time the boxset, I bought it straight away and thought it was fantastic. Now I listen to it, and I wish someone would have unplugged the Six Million Dollar Effects Rack that Fripp insists on using.

I think I like ProjeKcts One and Two best, because they sound the most like the old King Crimson. ProjeKct One, in particular, I guess because of Bruford's acoustic drums, really harks back to the 72-74 King Crimson.

I actually saw ProjeKct Two when they played in Cleveland back in 98 or whenever it is. Pretty excellent show. The thing I remember where there was places where Trey Gunn seemed to be emulating the patented "laser beam" fuzz guitar solo tone. It was almost like dueling Fripps in some parts of the set. I also recall they did, I think two or three pieces during the first set. Before the second one, Fripp looks over to Trey and Adrian and says in that inimitable style of his, "Are we ready to rock out?".

I also remember that was the show that gave me the key to figuring out where Fripp was tapping on some of the older records, because when he uses fingerboard tapping, it doesn't sound like other guitarists. His tapping sounds more like a guitarist playing a really fast passage across the fingerboard.

BUMP!

It's been almost a year since this discussion and I'm getting in the mood for some of these discs again. What is it about January that makes me want to spin this stuff? :P
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I just went through the Stick Men albums (the improv album Open is my fav) and some 03 Crim. Perhaps ProjeKcts should be next.

Some related news: Stick Men have a live album coming out and the Crimson ProjeKct have one coming out, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I just went through the Stick Men albums (the improv album Open is my fav) and some 03 Crim. Perhaps ProjeKcts should be next.

Some related news: Stick Men have a live album coming out and the Crimson ProjeKct have one coming out, too.
    Live or Studio with that Crimson ProjeKct disc?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

chalkpie
    P3 is my fav. I also dig ProjeKct X a bunch too, but I know that was later on.

I love P1. Bill Bruford and Tony Levin just gel so well in these improvisations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Live or Studio with that Crimson ProjeKct disc?
    Live.
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/pr...oduct/99/5423/

While my overall interest in KC has probably waned over the last few years (overplayed them for about 20 years straight) but I dig the Projekcts more and more with time. P1, 2 and 4's discs in the box set are stupendous as are many of their KCCC releases.

I've even thought about purchasing the complete projekct tour downloads from dgmlive, but then good sense stopped me. Can you imagine sitting through 16 versions of Heavy Construkction? or X-chain-jiz?

Anyone have any video from any of the projekcts?

Since resurrecting this thread, I've had this box sitting next to me waiting to be played again. Tonight was the night (Saturday nights are prime music-listening nights for me and I can get through lots of stuff)... currently on disc 3. I don't know that I've ever done this in one sitting, chronologically before. But it's working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I've even thought about purchasing the complete projekct tour downloads from dgmlive, but then good sense stopped me. Can you imagine sitting through 16 versions of Heavy Construkction? or X-chain-jiz?
    Ha... god, no.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The P3 disc is my favorite from that box. It seems the most finished of all the ProjeKcts, and I liked the electronic touches that Mastelotto added. P3 showed the possibility of something more futuristic under the KC banner, but they went more conservative after that, IMHO.

I was also lucky enough to see the one and only P3 show, which occurred because Belew was too sick to play one night at the Birchmere, in Alexandria, Va., on the ContruKction of Light tour, and the rest of the band played a short instrumental show without him--followed by a Fripp Q&A with the audience. Interesting night.

Hmmmm. Lots of P3 shows. You saw the only P3 show to occur in the middle of a Crimson tour (Power to Believe tour in 03). It has been released as a KCCC, and it is fantastic! You should definitely pick it up from DGM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Thanks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

While my overall interest in KC has probably waned over the last few years (overplayed them for about 20 years straight) but I dig the Projekcts more and more with time. P1, 2 and 4's discs in the box set are stupendous as are many of their KCCC releases.

i too saw your comment and wondered if i had previously posted in this thread...i'd love to watch any ProjeKct footage...but that might go against principle perhaps?

chalkpie

No joke - this is one of my favorite Crimson or Fripp-whatever pieces ever. This is prog.

I think the closest you're going to get to an actual video is this video of "Thrush":

Which technically isn't "Thrush" ("Power to Believe Pt. 4"???) and this technically isn't P3. But it basically is.

I guess you could also count the improvs on the 2000 tour DVD as ProjeKct X.

Then there's The Crimson ProjeKct, and there's lot of videos of them on YT.

Robert Fripp: "Lights Please"