Thread: Music Blogs - somewhere to share

Music Blogs - somewhere to share

I thought it might be helpful to set up a thread here, so members can publicise their blogs and widen their readership.

I've recently set my first blog up and met with moderate success, thanks in part to visitors from Progressive Ears.

Fortunately there have been a couple of threads already established on the main board, relating specifically to albums which I've subsequently posted reviews of. I've tried to be respectful of the original post, and avoid over-publicising my blog, and appreciate the time that some of you have taken to come over and see what I've been up to.

It's been a learning curve, but I think we're in reasonable shape now, and I've introduced a "follow" option for visitors, simply asking them to leave their email address for automatic updates of new posts. (No need for a lengthy registering process which just aggravates and takes up too much of people's time.)

Anyhow, I've now introduced a new feature, called Juke Box Jury, to my blog. Essentially, I've posted my list of albums (the juke box) and am inviting visitors (the jury) to decide which albums they'd like to see featured in future posts. It's simply a bit of fun for visitors, helps me reconnect with albums lying neglected, and fills the gap during those periods when reviews of new releases are a bit thin on the ground, either for time or financial reasons.

More details here:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....juke-box-jury/

Be seeing you?

cool blog.

I have mine of course in my sig, and also on social media and YouTube.

Mine’s in my .sig as well, not strictly a music blog—it was originally started to promote my movie review show, and then my still-proposed comedy web-series Confirmed Bachelors—but I’m currently using it as a forum for a series of (text) music reviews called Second Hand Goods, in which I review all the songs that peaked at #2 on the Billboard charts from 1955 to the present.

I just made it through 1955 unscathed...mostly, that Gale Storm song was brutal!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    cool blog.

I have mine of course in my sig, and also on social media and YouTube.
    Nice blog - I'm impressed by your modus operandi of posting via video, but (I) I'm not so good looking (ii) no one would understand my Scots accent and (III) I'm pretty thick when it comes to IT tech stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Mine’s in my .sig as well, not strictly a music blog—it was originally started to promote my movie review show, and then my still-proposed comedy web-series Confirmed Bachelors—but I’m currently using it as a forum for a series of (text) music reviews called Second Hand Goods, in which I review all the songs that peaked at #2 on the Billboard charts from 1955 to the present.

I just made it through 1955 unscathed...mostly, that Gale Storm song was brutal!
    That's a really cool niche you've created. With so much stuff out there and so little time for people to view it all, it's not easy finding something new and breaking new ground. I guess doing one song at a time reduces the workload compared to albums? But how do you find something different to say each time? My vocabulary is beginning to feel a little jaded and clichéd by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    That's a really cool niche you've created. With so much stuff out there and so little time for people to view it all, it's not easy finding something new and breaking new ground. I guess doing one song at a time reduces the workload compared to albums? But how do you find something different to say each time? My vocabulary is beginning to feel a little jaded and clichéd by comparison.
    I kind of took a break from music reviewing for a time, so that helped.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Nice blog - I'm impressed by your modus operandi of posting via video, but (I) I'm not so good looking (ii) no one would understand my Scots accent and (III) I'm pretty thick when it comes to IT tech stuff.
    thanks. I'm not sure, but you are just pointing out you might use YouTube as well, but those are the reasons you do not?

The YouTube stuff is really a work-in-progress for me, but I have found it is a different demographic than the blog world. I guess I saw more than enough other people doing it, I figured why not try it and see, especially just to show my music collection.

At the same time, it can be rather time consuming and it definitely is trial and error (especially doing it all by yourself). The editing part is maybe the biggest part of that. If I was making it or any of this stuff a job/career? lol, I would certainly be able to improve and enhance the quality, but at this point I don't. Editing 1 video with Premiere Elements, even if it's just 10 minutes can take well over 1 hour to have saved.

Some day when I actually do have the affordable time to do so, and perhaps even the editing software and memory/ram I'm using is faster/higher, I may find I can make more edited videos like many other people on YouTube do.