Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nazareth- Hair Of The Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Here's the full version of Telegram, clocks in at around 7:50 with all the parts. I would never call a track like this prog but it is progressive in spirit, trying to do something in a longer format with sections and an over-arching theme. I love the way they used piano to get that deep bass at the opening. This was considered a good speaker tester back in my college dorm days.

Thanks... I guess I should've checked, but I wasn't expecting to find that kind of stuff on YT

I like the first three parts, but the last one (live) really sucks, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I saw Nazareth around the time Zal Cleminson was with them, and they were the loudest band I have ever seen. I love everything by them from the seventies, but stopped listening around the time of Malice in Wonderland.
    Isn't it with Malice that Cleminson started??

Edit: I checked, he started with them with NMC

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw them around 78 at the World Music Festival in Toronto, Ontario and in Ottawa, Ontario around 1976.
    I was there for the Toronto show, though TBH, I don't have much recollection of their show
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ To my knowledge, Zal Cleminson began working with members of Nazareth on Dan McCafferty's first solo album (1975). Manny Charlton is also on the album, although it is really SAHB without Alex and Chris Glen. If there are any fans of Zal and SAHB here, I can recommend the Zalvation Live album (2006).
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I was there for the Toronto show, though TBH, I don't have much recollection of their show
    It was the 70s, so I understand not remembering everything!! One thing that stands out for me was when the Ramones were playing. I was sitting high in the seats but on the field you could see people scattered about and standing up in the crowd, people were throwing garbage at them! The same thing for the band, the stage was getting covered in garbage and I remember the band kicking it off the stage. We were pissing ourselves laughing.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-11-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It was the 70s, so I understand not remembering everything!! One thing that stands out for me was when the Ramones were playing. I was sitting high in the seats but on the field you could see people scattered about and standing up in the crowd, people were throwing garbage at them! The same thing for the band, the stage was getting covered in garbage and I remember the band kicking it off the stage. We were pissing ourselves laughing.
    Toronto audience always stunk to bands...

I remember Joe Jackson receiving a ketchup-folled hot dog on his white shirt, opeing for The Who at CNE Grandstand ...

And what about Toronto faves Zep: every time they came to town to play, they were booed off the stage.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    but stopped listening around the time of Malice in Wonderland.
    I exited a little earlier; on The Fool Circle.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I exited a little earlier; on The Fool Circle.
    The Fool Circle was after Malice in Wonderland.

The last album that I liked by them was No Mean City. It was a great tour as well.

Overall, I like quite a bit from them, but most of their albums are inconsistent to me. The only ones that I like all the way through are Razamatazz, Hair of the Dog, Expect No Mercy and No Mean City.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If we count Spirit as "prog", then it should be noted their keyboardist John Locke played with Nazareth in the early 80's. They also had Zal Cleminson, from The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, in the group briefly in the late 70's.
    Ronnie Leahy, who played on The Steve Howe Album and a couple of Jon Anderson records, also played keyboards in Nazareth in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    The Fool Circle was after Malice in Wonderland.
    My mistake, last album I've got of them was No Mean City, which is a good one. I remember "Holiday" being a hit back in 1980-1981, but the Malice album was very boring...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    My mistake, last album I've got of them was No Mean City, which is a good one. I remember "Holiday" being a hit back in 1980-1981, but the Malice album was very boring...

I remember MuchMusic (Canada's version of MTV) making a big promo for this album, which I hated.