Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Yacht Rock

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Actually……the song “Volcano” by Buffett, was written about the (at the time) dormant volcano on the island of Monserrat. Tragically a few years later the volcano actually did blow and destroyed most of the island killing many inhabitants. Today much of the island is still a wasteland.
    Wow, I had no idea. A bit ironic for what is ostensibly an upbeat and light-hearted tune.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Wow, I had no idea. A bit ironic for what is ostensibly an upbeat and light-hearted tune.
    The song was written prior to the eruption, so at the time it was kind of a novelty / joke song. If I remember correctly he stopped performing it for several years after the tragedy, but since it is one of his most popular songs it eventually found its way back into the set list and he peforms it regularly today. I had some of my facts wrong, as there were only 19 people killed in the Eruption. Here is a short article with pictures of the island today: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4059709.html

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The song was written prior to the eruption, so at the time it was kind of a novelty / joke song. If I remember correctly he stopped performing it for several years after the tragedy, but since it is one of his most popular songs it eventually found its way back into the set list and he peforms it regularly today. I had some of my facts wrong, as there were only 19 people killed in the Eruption. Here is a short article with pictures of the island today: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4059709.html
    Thanks. I did go and check Wikipedia and realized it was maybe not that many people, but certainly a tragedy for some and I wondered about him continuing to play it. I'll have to ask my former band mate (who brought the song into the band) if he knew the story behind that song.

That ghost town in the article looks cool.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sirius XM has a Yacht Rock channel for the Summer:

"Imagine that it’s 1981 and you’re cruising the Atlantic shores of the Hamptons with your friends. Bikinis are fluorescent, polo collars are popped, and boat shoes are rocked sockless. In the background, your booming sound system is playing the soft-rock sounds of Steely Dan, Michael McDonald, Hall & Oates, Christopher Cross, and Robbie Dupree."

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    It's on the Love Channel this year. I think they added some songs, too.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    It's on the Love Channel this year. I think they added some songs, too.
    Yeah, it confused me. First of all I'd never noticed or listened to the Love channel before. But I heard them mention Yacht Rock and stopped there. But it said Love.

Anyhow, I'll probably check to see what they're playing and move on.

I find the inclusion of Wildfire a bit odd as a selection:
    1. It's actually pretty dark in content (although not as dark and creepy as the Martones's "Into the Night")
    2. It is not a summer song
    3. It is about as far from anything you would hear hanging out in a marina or in a yacht party as you can get
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 07-11-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: serious, bernie is stalking that girl

Been listening to Sirius XMs Yacht Rock channel recently. Today it put my 9-yr-old to sleep in 15 minutes.

They have a guy who does little station checks or whatever every once in a while, and he does a really overdone, sarcastic rich-guy voice which is super annoying. He sounds more like a gay stereotype than anything else. But the music is kind of fun. They played the Pina Colada song - they probably play that once per hour.

I didn't know there was actually a subgenre called 'Yacht Rock'. I know if I was on a yacht, on a sunny day, I would want first of all to hear 'Blueprint' by Sebastian Hardie. So warm and free sounding. Probably sounds nothing like the music on the Sirius channel.

When I think of "Yacht Rock", the first music that comes to mind is stuff like Christopher Cross (esp Sailing of course)the aforementioned Piña Colada song, Key Largo by Bertie? Higgins, Pablo Cruise, England Dan and John Ford Coley and of course Jimmy Buffet. I could probably only take about 20 min of that stuff before I heaved.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-12-2018 at 08:54 PM.

I heard two Christopher Cross songs today - I'm sure he's in heavy rotation. I didn't really mind since I hadn't heard those songs in about 10 years. They also played Steely Dan, Ambrosia, Doobie Brothers, The Eagles. It's fun for a few laughs.

Steely Dan and Ambrosia? I find nothing "Yacht Rockish" about them. Ambrosia had a few softer rock top 40 hits, which is what I'm guessing they probably played, but so did The Beatles. And a yacht is the last place you'd ever find Becker and Fagen, lol. Sounds like a lite or "soft rock" station calling itself "Yacht Rock" to try to rope in the suburban soccer moms market.

I listen to "Yacht Rock Radio" (channel 70) from time to time as a respite from "Symphony Hall" which is the one channel my wife and I can agree on. But I think I'm done.

My problem with YRR is that it's the same damn 20 songs or so, over and over. I've heard the Pina Colada song more in the last month listening to YRR than I had in the last 10 years. They need to start playing more deep cuts from these bands: CSN, Loggins & Messina, Ambrosia, Christopher Cross, who/whatever, but they've got to move past the huge hits. As great as some of those hits are, I'll hate them all if I have to hear them daily any more than I already have.

And I agree that the YRR announcer guy with the affected deep voice is really annoying. My wife likes that music but won't listen to it with him on it. He did have one line that cracked me up though: Yacht Rock Radio, music to help you unwind after work, if you need to work that is.

The Japanese equivalent—City Pop—seems to be making waves in internet circles these days:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post

And I agree that the YRR announcer guy with the affected deep voice is really annoying. My wife likes that music but won't listen to it with him on it. He did have one line that cracked me up though: Yacht Rock Radio, music to help you unwind after work, if you need to work that is.
    You would think that they could find a Thurston Howell III impersonator.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He sounds a little like him, but younger and much more irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Lol. "Lovey Dears, here's the Piña Colada song again"
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-13-2018 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I didn't know there was actually a subgenre called 'Yacht Rock'. I know if I was on a yacht, on a sunny day, I would want first of all to hear 'Blueprint' by Sebastian Hardie. So warm and free sounding. Probably sounds nothing like the music on the Sirius channel.
    the term is recent and refers to music that was popular for southern California yuppies sailing around on their "yachts" (not sure how many were actual yachts)-at least that was where i had read the term initially came from. It was popularized and pretty much became a genre after an internet comedy series.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Lol. "Lovey Dears, here's the Piña Colada song again"
    the only real irritation of this station is how many times they play Toto and Cheryl's "Georgie Porgie" and Boz Scaggs "Jojo". Usually I hop off to Deep Tracks, Classical Vinyl, Classic Rewind, The Bridge or Liquid Metal (when they play something that is not metal for people afraid of metal-where the hell is that Dimmu Borgir song they were cranking out a few months ago?) when those come on...

-where the hell is that Dimmu Borgir song they were cranking out a few months ago?) when those come on...
    Dimmu Borgir as yacht rock?

Only if the yacht is The Flying Dutchman

What channel is "Deep Tracks" BTW?

the only real irritation of this station is how many times they play Toto and Cheryl's "Georgie Porgie" and Boz Scaggs "Jojo". Usually I hop off to Deep Tracks, Classical Vinyl, Classic Rewind, The Bridge or Liquid Metal (when they play something that is not metal for people afraid of metal-where the hell is that Dimmu Borgir song they were cranking out a few months ago?) when those come on...
    Yeah, I've only listened a few times so far, and I heard Georgie Porgie once. And I'd never even heard it before. I also didn't know that Boz Scaggs was that kind of Easy Listening stuff. I somehow thought he was like Joe Cocker.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    What channel is "Deep Tracks" BTW?
    It's like 24 or 25. Right around there.

I had Sirius for awhile on a 3 month free trial basis. Deep Tracks was the only channel that played prog stuff consistently, including a nice selection of 70s era Genesis tunes. The only other channel I listened to much was the Classic Rock or Rewind one.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, I've only listened a few times so far, and I heard Georgie Porgie once. And I'd never even heard it before. I also didn't know that Boz Scaggs was that kind of Easy Listening stuff. I somehow thought he was like Joe Cocker.
    You'd never heard Georgie Porgie before?

And hey, don't be dissing my man Boz Scaggs. I'd never consider him "easy listening" -- unless you mean compared to "prog", which case most anything could be. He's more in the soul/r&b/jazz-rock type vein. He was also a guitarist in the early days of The Steve Miller band, back in the 1960s when they were more blues-based.

This has always been a favorite song of mine ever since I was a kid. Loved those Minimoog arpeggios during the bridge.